Anyone out there have an Amazon Prime account? How do you like it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

DH and I are trying to decide if we should get an Amazon Prime account. On the one hand, we were thinking we could get rid of our Netflix Instant Streaming account (and monthly bill) and instead watch "Prime Instant Video" (but only if they have a wide variety of television shows. If it's mostly movies, we'd hardly watch it). My husband loves music and I hear there's a lot of downloads (not sure if you have to pay for them like with iTunes and can you only listen to them via computer/cell phone?)

On the other hand, the only actual products we order off Amazon are 1 -2 pairs of shoes every month or so for me. Twice a year I might order a hard to find book for work.

We both have Kindles and download books, but I don't think having a Prime account saves you any money with digital downloads.

Those of you who have Amazon Prime, do you like it? Is it useful? Are you going to renew your subscriptions?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

I have Prime and Netflix. I love both! I order a ton on Amazon though. That's where I get my cat's food. I do the subscribe and save with that. I also order things that I otherwise might drive to find. For example, today I ordered a body tape measurer. I could've gone out and looked for one but with no shipping and two day guarantee, I just bought it from them.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

That's what I was thinking too. These days, almost everything you can buy in the store, you can order online. Hence why I order shoes from Amazon.

Do you think Amazon's instant streaming is better than, equal to, or not as good as Netflix? Also, what's the music like? Do you have to pay per song or is it a streaming radio like Pandora?

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

WE LOVE OUR PRIME ACCOUNT!
    Free shipping is lovely. I buy all kinds of things on Amazon that I would otherwise drive to buy or buy from another online store. My husband has a lot of his "stuff" (e.g. razor blades for shaving) shipped monthly at a much cheaper cost than in-store prices.

I think there is free music streaming (not sure, haven't investigated).

I would say there is a wide range of television shows. BBC, AMC, ABC, NBC, HBO ... and more.

LOTS of free content. All kinds of content you can pay to watch.

We did Netflix until they raised their prices. My husband cancelled and was too burned to re-subscribe after they lowered their prices.

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

I love a,axon prrime ...I even order my feminine products from them!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2014

1-2 pairs of shoes per month?!?!?

Anyway... I had A-Prime for a little while, but it wasn't worth it for me.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

WOW, okay you guys are totally selling me on Prime. I really like the idea of getting things for cheaper (I was comparing the Amazon price to the store price of these shoes I bought earlier today and Amazon was cheaper by $30)

Things that I know we'll need like feminine products, razors, tooth paste, toilet paper, paper towels, plastic utensils, etc, would be nice to order in bulk so I'm not running to the store so often.

Nope, I don't order 1 - 2 pairs of shoes per month.d I order 1 -2 pairs of shoes every month or so(see OP). It works for me and my budget. :)

Sorry Prime didn't work out for you. :(

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

We have it... got rid of Netflix...we were still doing the movie in the mail thing. Yes love free shipping, watch prime movies, they do have music now...Prime music... Love it!!!
    They now have an app I believe you can scan something & it tells you amazon's price....

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

WOW, okay that's pretty cool. I'll have to check my app store and see if I can find that. Loving all this "insider" info :thumb:

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

I have one and I love it!

12. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

I have it and love it for all the reasons everyone mentioned. If you have access to a .edu e-mail address, you can sign up for Amazon Student for 4 years (1/2 the price of regular Prime). I think there are a few limitations as to what you get with Student vs. regular Prime but I mostly use it for the free shipping so I haven't felt like I missed out on anything.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2014

I LOVE Prime! It's so much easier to order things there instead of driving though two or three towns, hoping I can find what I need!

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

:2up::2up::2up::2up::up::up::up::up::up::hugs: I DO have access to a .edu account! I'll have to look into that option because if I am able to get all the things everyone's mentioning for 1/2 the price I am 100% sold (heck even if i have to pay full price I am 100% sold!)

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2014

I like Prime a lot for the TV shows/movies. I've also used their "book borrow" feature which lets you borrow a book once a month (only selected books, but some are pretty good). I admit that's a little frustrating for me because I don't take very long to read books, but it's kind of nice.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2014

I love it too! We get things like toothpaste on subscription. I have a Cloud Player, and if you're a Prime member, you can add and stream tons of music. I have practically all of Billy Joel's albums that way.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 1, 2014

I save enough at Christmas time in the shipping to justify the rest of the year. We are very rural, so shopping would be done 3-4 hours away. Online is naturally easier.

I also check amazon every time I order something. It is often same price or cheaper, plus free shipping.

I haven't used the music, and I sometimes do movies. There are a lot of kindle books that are free or cheaper with Prime.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

Em...the prime music even has playlist they have created you can listen to... we had a lot of music in our acct already....but now...YAY!!! I was listening to it today!!!

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 2, 2014

Prime is excellent, especially when combining the Instant Video with Netflix's streaming selection.

Also, free two day shipping can't be beat. We have an amazon card and we probably wrack up around 3000-5000 points a year (1x points on all purchases, 2x on restaurants, 3x on amazon.com purchases).

We order my dad's diabetes supplies (Lancets are ridiculously cheap on amazon) and his dark chocolate (which is pretty cheap for Ghirardelli - it's like $16 for 6 bars). We also order various... random things every year that make the free shipping worth it - like this year we ordered a bread machine (old one broke after like 10 years) and an electric smoker (old one was a barrel smoker bought for like $40 at a garage sale).

Hell, we ordered flashlights and lanterns three days before Sandy and they arrived the day before Sandy hit. It was amazing (and so were the flashlights/lanterns)

20. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 2, 2014

I've had Amazon Prime for the last few years, and it has been well worth the money. I order resource books, b-day and Christmas presents and lots of items in general. The nearest "shopping" town is 2 hours away. The 2 days shipping has never failed.

21. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 2, 2014

I love Prime mainly for the shipping! I almost never use the streaming and prefer Netflix. :)

22. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 2, 2014

Thank you all for the information! As I've been google'ing and reading more about Amazon Prime, I see another option called "Amazon Prime Fresh" that is $299 :eek: a year. It sounds like a waste to me because even though they offer discounted Same Day/Next Day Delivery, you still have to come out of pocket.

It's so rare that I need something from the Internet immediately (if I do, i'd just pick up from a store) that it doesn't seem worth it to me. So, Amazon Prime it is!

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2014

Just want to make clear that the edu account is half price, not things you order.

I love my account and mostly use it for buying stuff. My daughters can make wish lists at birthday and Christmas and it is so easy to see exactly what they want.

Their 2-day shipping with Prime has turned into more like three to four days, lately.

24. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2014

I have had Prime for at least 4 years. I love it, don't mind the $100 cost and the shipping is always speedy. I order lots of books and then other random stuff because I find it cheaper there (like I just bought some saucepans) and lots of stuff qualify for Prime shipping. Also, lots of free tv/movies.

Highly recommend it.

25. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jul 2, 2014

We have amazon prime and I LOVE it. Most of my Christmas shopping comes from there and I love that I can order almost anything and it just shows up at my door with free shipping. Last fall I needed Expo markers and a few other things for my classroom, but couldn't find time in my schedule to get to Target. Hop on Amazon, find the things at great prices and wham, at my house in 2 days.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 2, 2014

This line made me laugh! :lol:

27. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 2, 2014

I'm doing the 30 day free trial. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it though. I have to have a Kindle to view movies/books on a tablet. I am liking the shipping though.

I did see on youtube how you could stream Amazon videos on Android devices, but I'm not tech savvy enough.

28. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

Anyone interested in Amazon Prime for the streaming video must know that at the present time, streaming video doesn't work on tablets or phones that use Android OS.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 2, 2014

It's the only indulgence he can really have now - he only started eating dark chocolate after he was diagnosed. Now he loves the 86% dark.

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 2, 2014

31. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 2, 2014

LOVE LOVE LOVE Amazon Prime! I would never even consider giving it up. When the shipping is fast and free, you'll start ordering from amazon a lot more, I think. ;) It makes life so easy. I'll order one book, or a pad of post its, or my shampoo, etc etc...it's just amazing.

We actually rarely use the video. We use netflix more. I think there is quite a bit of overlap in what they offer.

If you have the Amazon app, you can scan barcodes at stores and find out how much Amazon charges and/or add it to your wish list. I do that a lot - especially if I'm at a book store. :blush:

It really is worth every penny! I started getting it as a student, but it was worth the price increase when I lost the student status.

32. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for the heads-up a2z because I watching tv and movies on my iPad when I'm in places w/o a TV, like the kitchen cooking.

Also useful to know because we have a Roku in the bedroom. Do you know if you can stream on an XBox? We have one of those :)rolleyes:) too.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 3, 2014

Em, there's an app for the iPad for Prime. I watch it on my iPad sometimes though I still prefer Netflix.

34. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 3, 2014

Oh good! I was dissapointed when I thought there wasn't. Does Prime have more television shows or movies (or are they about the same?)

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2014

I signed up for Prime for the online streaming shows...only to discover it´s not available here! I was so sad.

36. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2014

Yes. :)

We can watch Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon though our Bluray player, our Wii, or Xbox. It's truly ridiculous. And we just bought a smart tv so now we can watch directly through that. My husband seems to want to have as many ways to watch these things as possible. :lol:

Apple and Amazon do not have an agreement, so you cannot watch Amazon streaming through Apple TV, which I find annoying. But that's it, I think.

37. live

live Companion

Jul 3, 2014

I love Prime. Only bad thing: once you start ordering with fast, free shipping...it's hard to stop!

I justify it because I get many of the things I'd be buying anyways, but usually for a lower price.

Movie and show selection is also excellent.