Anyone out there doing 4-day work week?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher379, Jul 10, 2008.

?

Do you enjoy working a 4-day work week?

1. Yes!

35.3%
  2. No!

47.1%
  3. Undecided!

17.6%
  1. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Hey everyone!

Since the district has to make ends meet with the budgets...there have been rumors of having a 4-day work week, so that the busses run less and less electricity will be used and so on.

Can anyone tell me how this works? How do they make up the hours lost from that 5th day of work? How does the daily schedule look like?

Please help! I just to be informed about this.

:thanks:

-Crystal

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2008

No, but I wish I was!

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I am sure my district will not consider it; my superintendent would be concerned about child care issues, and, of course, how it would affect sports.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Our district doesn't do a 4 year work week, however a district back home has been doing it for years. Here is a link to their school website: http://www.webster.k12.ky.us/ . They seem to REALLY like it.

6. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks!

That website was helpful. I'm still wondering about the daily schedule though.

Do you remember how the day was broken into?

7. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I would LOVE to! Wish we would.

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I would even be will to go in on Friday, and have a teacher work day, but I don't think this will happen.

9. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I think they would just increase each day by 1 1/2 hours. It makes sense, though, because then (especially w/sports) we can all actually go and support our children (travel wise) and I wouldn't have to be taking every Friday off because of that or to go shopping :)rolleyes:)

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

That Webster county school district has start/end times at the bottom of the page "4 Day Week Rationale". Sounds like it has really worked for their community. It said they do have athletic practice on Mondays, which are mandatory planning days, if I understand right. Their school day is shorter than mine now with 5 days! (7:57-3:49)

There is one school about 50 miles away who does a 4 day week. They have a rotating day off though, it's not always Mondays or Fridays. Like if there is a football game a long ways away on a Monday, the day off might be Tuesday. I applied there when I was looking, but didn't go to the interview cause I had already found a job. From what I hear, they love it.

I don't think my school would ever consider it, mostly because of distance classes. We are in a consortium with 8 other schools, and have fiber classes and polycom classes that must meet together.

Here is their website: http://www.elba.k12.ne.us/

If you click on calendar, you can see which days they have off. I did notice a couple of weeks they had school all 5 days.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I wish all districts nationwide should try a 4-day work week for a year to see how it really works & how employees feel about it (through a mass vote or something to that effect).

But the thing is all those extra days that need to be made up will go throughout the summer mos, so I guess school really be year round if work weeks became 4 days.

I'd still be willing to try it.

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

From what I understand from a friend that teaches there they don't go that long really. The instructional day is approximately 30 minutes more per teaching day (not counting lunch and specials). They will start school on August 5th (students first day) teachers start the 31st. They will finish up students May 29th, teachers on June 1st.

That's not any longer than we go. We start July 25th for teachers, August 1st for students. Our students finish May 29th, teachers June 2nd.

Their school day (4 days a week) is 7:50 to 3:25 (6 hours 40 minutes is instructional)
    Our school day is (5 day week) is 7:30 to 2:30 (6 hours and 10 minutes is instructional)

I'd vote for a 4 day week in a heartbeat. The friend that teaches in Clay absolutely loves it. She said the kids are really more engaged when they are there and also that they have enough time to actually teach during the day. She also said that they sometimes use the Monday afternoons for extra "resource" time for students that are having difficulty mastering skills.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

We have district neighboring ours that does a 4 day work week. Many teachers and parents like it. Figure you work those hours anyway- it'd be nice to have Friday off.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

Hmm...the school I posted about started August 15 and got out May 15...same as any school around here (mine included)

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I would not like that since I am a sub. I need all the days I can get. Adding whatever amount of time to the day(30mins,1hr or anything) would not help subs since we make a certain amount wheather or not its 8hrs or 81/2 hrs. That would not help us and I don't like it.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I know that our principal was looking at different options, I don't think a 4 day work week was a thought though. I think he was leaning toward a longer day & getting out of school earlier. Currently, we got out around June 10th. We don't start school until after Labor Day.

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

Our district went to the 4 day work week for summer school and for all admin and staff over the summer. It is really nice. I can't imagine them doing it during the regular year because of all the child care issues. We are a huge school system, and there wouldn't be sufficient day care available for Fridays anyplace in our city. Too bad. We just work an extra 1 and a half, and then have all day Friday off. It is nice.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I thought a school year had to be 180 days long. How do these schools get around that rule?

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 10, 2008

Umm yeah- we have a 4 day work week during summer school (Friday off) - I think h3!! would freeze over before we would cut out a day of school here. We go to school in dangerous snow storms and extreme cold (-40 windchill) because kids need a hot meal. Most of the schools are neighborhood schools (and there are usually several in a neighborhood- like usually a school at least every 1/2 mile) and so anyway they don't take the bus.

20. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

I'd dig it!

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

In Kentucky it's 175 teaching days for students. The students end up being at school 163 days for the Webster Co. District. They end up getting 1067 hours of instruction compared to the 1050 hours for the normal schedule. The state gave them approval for the shortened calendar year.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

My principal talks about how many hours we have to be in school. I don't know if the change was made at the state level or the federal level.

23. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I think when you look at the amount of "hours" they spend, it turns out to be the same.

24. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I think the main reason it won't be implemented is due to child care. If they have the public vote for it, there will be issues. What happens to these kids during that 5th day off?

25. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

article in Education Week

I just read an article at edweek.org about the rising costs of fuel and districts either making kids walk further to school or going to the four-day week.

Here's an excerpt from about a school in Minn. going to the 4-day:

Best wishes for success!

Diane

26. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

Michigan, in all its wisdom, went to minutes as opposed to days. We are now down to 170 days 8:40-3:45 We really felt the "crunch" at the end of theschool year. Never could understand that logic: More requirements - less time to do it in.

27. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 11, 2008

A school in Minnesota is going to a 4 day week. They are extending the time of the school day to make up for the Monday time. They will go to school on Mondays the weeks that there is a vacation (Thanksgiving, etc.) They are really only missing 22 days of school and will by more than make that up with their new schedule.

28. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

I wish - our District was actually considering extending out school day because we teachers complained we could not fit in the required minutes for reading and math during the day because the times were increased, but they would still have us going 5 days a week!

29. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I think a four day week is an excellent idea with the budget issues all schools seem to be facing. No one is really losing out except for the utility and gas companies.

30. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I think it would be something to consider. I know that my school is starting an hour earlier for transportation reasons. They have also said no field trips unless we use a charter bus.

31. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

I'd love it, but don't think it will happen because of child care issues.

32. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 12, 2008

We did it for summer school one year by adding on an extra hour a day. We decided to work T-F since Friday is payday and some people prefer to deposit their checks themselves. It was sooooooooo nice and we wrote a proposal to work 4 days in the fall but of course it was rejected immediately.

33. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

I would like to give it a try, but I don't think it will happen. I was told that our bus drivers and cafeteria workers would lose too much by working a 4 day work week. In the meantime, our school district is suffering budget cuts and the poor economy!

34. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I don't think the superintended really cares about the bus drivers and cafeteria workers. He's already made several attempts to get rid of the paraprofessionals in our district. Next year a lot of paras have lost their jobs due to budget cuts. And we're still in a hiring freeze.

But I'll tell you this much...I bet he gave himself a nice pay raise while no one else got a raise for next school year. :mad:

35. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

As long as the missed days are added on logically like the year round possibility a four day work week would be a little nice. However, I think it would murder most peoples bugets the daycare issue mentioned earlier. It sound like a losewin-losewin situation>:up::down: