Anyone on the East Coast just feel that earthquake?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bros, Aug 23, 2011.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

I'm in Central NJ. That was WEIRD

At first I asked my brother "do you feel that?" (because I thought I was having a seizure)

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

Heck, I felt it here in central Ohio! My parents in Philly said it was like a train blowing past the house. My friend in DC is evacuating her building.

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Yes, and it about scared the living daylights out of me!! I'm trying to call my mom (in PA), since apparently her area felt it, but I can't reach her.

I was sitting on the bed and felt it shaking a bit. I yell to my DH that I felt the bed shaking, and just as he was walking in to hear what I said, the floor felt like it was going to cave in. Scary stuff, I tell you.

ETA: I'm in Virginia.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2011

Nothing here....

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

Yeah, according to CNN, DC is evacuating

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2011

I live near Syracuse in Upstate New York and I definitely felt the bed shake back and forth couple of times and the local news has reports of many people feeling the tremors.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2011

I felt it. It's funny because I know PA gets mild ones sometimes and I have never felt one, so my sister is here cleaning my kitchen while I am recovering from wisdom teeth, and we were both like, whoa is that an earthquake? But I didn't realize that it came up the whole coast! I would have actually felt it more if I lived in DE.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I'm on the other coast...but I hope all is well with everyone! I know they're not very common out there so it must be scary!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2011

Fam in SC felt it.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Many of us were working at school and felt it. We first thought the shaking was due to some construction on our building!:eek:

The poor people in DC and in the financial district of NYC were very concerned...with it being so close to 10th anniversary of 9/11, there were many worries.

Watching the news at home now...:(

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 23, 2011

My son in Boston felt it. He thought his co-worker was shaking his chair! I was sitting outside in my rocker and felt the shake. I'm in northern New Jersey.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

Yeah. I turned on the news right after feeling it. A CNN reporter said that the Pentagon evacuated within minutes; they had a feeling it was an earthquake, but they wanted to take every precaution

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Two of my sisters and one of my neighbors, all on LI, were evacuated. One of my sister's coworkers was a 9/11 survivor and was pretty upset.

Peter and the girls were in the car and missed it. Brian and I were in my mom's living room; we heard the shampoo fall into the shower, but that was it.

I'm pretty sure that if I were in Manhattan, I would be walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. I wouldn't trust the tunnels and bridges in the event of an aftershock. Probably a bit paranoid, but...

15. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

I'm in Manhattan, and didn't feel a thing, though some others did. I might just be dulled to shaking or something.

Tonight I'll be in the Lincoln tunnel, and will be holding my breath until I get out of it (well, not really, seeing that I'd probably pass out trying to hold my breath that long -- but you get the idea).

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Take care, 3sons.

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

I swear I felt it in Chicago. My bed was "shaking" more "roving" the way I've felt it in earthquake's past and the TV was on as I was taking advantage of one of the last days of "napping" and all the sudden they said, "Breaking news- 2 big stories" but then when the earthquake was in D.C. I was like I couldn't have felt it then. Though there are several reports of others feeling it in our area.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

The main reason people were so panicky here about bombs or 9-11 is because most here have never felt an earthquake before; it's just not really on our radar.

It is overstating things to say DC is evacuating. They are just sending federal workers home, but schools are not closing early. I just got off the DC beltway, and everything is fine. Traffic slightly heavier than usual. Metro rail is also running, just at reduced speed.

I felt it near the Pentagon, but my parents live very near the epicenter, so they were pretty shaken up, especially because it was so loud. They said they thought the furnace was exploding.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

I think the reason people evacuated was a combination of things; knowledge that an aftershock frequently occurs, and the knowledge of what happened to all the people who didn't evacuate on 9/11. And I agree, Molly-- an earthquake would have been way down on my list of expected causes for what was going on.

With the danger of aftershocks, I think evacuating a skyscraper is a very rational, logical thing to do. I would much rather take my chances on the ground than on the 45th floor. The higher you are, the more movement there is.

Closing schools, on the other hand, would present a problem. It would mean sending minors into homes that were likely locked, and into a possible emergency situation without an adult being present.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

A 5.8 earthquake will definitely bounce people around a little... and one will tend to feel it over a wider area of the East Coast than of the West Coast, according to the US Geological Survey.

I don't know whether any of the insights that inform California's building standards have made their way back east or not. One certainly hopes so.

For the record, Alice, skyscrapers in California are designed to sway in a quake; it's when they don't that there's REALLY trouble.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Well, stores and shopping malls didn't close. It is federal policy, I believe, to inspect buildings. After the initial, uh, jolt, nobody was really phased around here.

Luckily, the bedrock geology really helps limit and minimize damage.

The idea that magnitude doesn't necessarily predict damage is one many students really struggle with ( ie Japan VS Haiti)

Right near the epicenter, we had boxes of spaghetti fall off the shelf, and an open box of couscous made a nice mess. A few bottles of my nail polish fell off the shelf, but luckily Chanel bottles are unbreakable!

Hopefully damage is as minimal everywhere.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

While the east coast buildings probably aren't built to withstand earthquakes, I bet they are built to withstand a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane... possibly higher as you get toward the warmer waters of the south.

That can't have hurt.

23. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

I'm 70 miles away, and it was strong where I was. I've been in earthquakes before, but our building is still under construction, so at first we thought it was some last-minute thing being done to the roof. We still weren't 100% sure it was an earthquake until we saw it on the news...in the back of my mind I wondered if DC was being attacked. We didn't even think to evacuate the building. People left to get cell service, but then went right back in. About an hour later, an automated call came to my desk phone advising that an earthquake had occurred, there had been damage, and I should call and report any damage. Maybe it's because our building is really new and modern, but it was more exciting than scary for us. That said, I don't need any more excitement like that!

24. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Virginia can get hit with really bad flooding even with tropical storms. Drainage isn't all that great around Northern Virginia and the Potomac basin. A couple years ago, William and Mary was closed for quite a while from what might have been a lesser event elsewhere. Another issue is lots and lots od down trees.

Since we dont get a lot of that sort of thing, response can leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not sure how much hurricanes are considered in building codes away from the coastal plain region. Something interesting to look up for my students. I always try to drive home the point that there are so many human and environmental influences on damage.

25. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

We might find out this week! Irene cometh.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  26. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Sounds like a bit of local damage. Mineral and Louisa has a lot of old brick buildings.

Our whole area here is mostly wooden frame and electric rather than gas.

27. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

I'm in PA and didn't feel it at all in my school. But apparently one of our middle schools evacuated the teachers, so it was definitely felt where I am.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

From your keyboard to the universe's ears, molly.

29. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Aftershock! No word on the magnitude yet, but I'd estimate a 2-2.5 maybe. I heard it more than felt it because I am on the ground floor.

Sounds like quite a but of damage locally, but nobody is really covering it much because they are all about DC and Richmond. The schools here are damaged, possibly badly. Not sure about the one I go to for GED tomorrow.

Our general area is fine: wooden frame buildings on good foundations and no gas lines. I think it is the older, more rural parts about 8-10 miles away. A lot of those buildings are brick and dare back 50-100 years.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

Uh-oh, molly. Keep us posted, please.

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

The best way to describe the feeling here in my home office (I live in a 1927 farmhouse) is that it was as if a wave went under my house. The noise it created was similar, like a WHOOSHTHUD! At first, I though Rockhubby had slammed the door really hard. Then I thought maybe the wind was blowing like crazy. It turned out my giant maple tree was shaking from the quake.

This is, believe it or not, the second quake I've experienced here in the Midwest.

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2011

We were in the area, but I didn't feel a thing. If I had felt anything, I would likely have thought it was from the road construction. They're putting a new road near the school, and they're blasting often. I'd have assumed they were blasting again.

We've had three earthquakes here. The first one scared me because I was young and in the process of trying to snatch some cookies off the cabinet, and I thought I'd been had! The second time I was in college, and my roommate and I both slept through it. Well, we actually woke up, but just assumed someone was moving something upstairs. The last time it woke me up, but I wasn't sure what it was.

33. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

in North jersey.. I felt it as I was sitting on a chair by the pool. freaky!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

Sounds like you caught the surface wave, there, cat. The Easter Sunday quake in Mexico a couple years back had that sort of rolling-surf feel to it. (I was at my sister's house, 150 miles or so north of the epicenter. Some of the participants were wondering whether they'd simply had a couple Mimosas too many - till they saw everyone else's reactions.)

35. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I was at work in DC when it happened (and I am from California) and the first thought I had was that it was construction being done. The second thought was terrorists. It literally took me forever to realize that it was an earthquake! Then I finally sprung into action! :) I was luckily on my planning period but most of the classes in my building had no idea how to handle it because no one was completely certain what just happened. It now seems idiotic that it took so long to realize what was going on! Oy!!!

36. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

Was your building damaged?

37. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Surprisingly, no. Our building is really old and we're actually getting a new building built for next school year. Honestly, the earthquake freaked me out and I've been through much stronger quakes growing up. I'm still in a bit of shock from the day; we stayed open while DC public schools and PG closed early (I am at a charter). All was well, mostly.

38. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

They said on the news that DC schools operated normally. Did they decide to close after all?

News reports were shockingly sketchy considering all the news power available around DC.

39. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Yeah, they could have operated normally (lord knows they need to). It was just the news I heard from parents that picked their kids up early (for what reason, I have no clue). It took me close to 10 minutes to find some form of confirmation online that it was an earthquake so I know what you mean about the sketchiness of DC news reports. I did hear that the federal government closed midday because of the earthquake.

40. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

I totally understand parents picking their kids up early as traffic was expected to be a nightmare.

41. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

It took me a while, too, because our school blocks twitter and facebook, our cable is not hooked up yet, phone lines were tied up, and we get no cell service in the school (even for texts). In between the time it happened and the time we saw it pop up on online news sites, worse alternatives were in the back of my mind. I was glad it was an earthquake.