Anyone on a Yr-Round Schedule?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2011

Who here is on a year-round schedule & has about 4-6 breaks all yr for 2-3 wks long each?
    If it was up to you, which do you prefer, yr-rond or traditional (summers off)?

My district used to be on a yr-round schedule & alternated w/ traditional a couple of times. Thank God it's been on traditional now for a long time! With yr-round, I don't think it ever feels like you've had a well-rested break since you're always back to work so fast.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Most of the elementary schools in my district used to be year-round. There were five different tracks, so it was sometimes hard for families whose children were on different tracks--no one was ever off at the same time.

As of last year, almost all the schools are back to a standard 9-month schedule due to budget issues. I'm glad for that because I don't think I'd enjoy teaching on a year-round schedule. I really like my long summers and need this time to recuperate.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

I work year-round but I only get a few breaks because this also includes mandatory summer school. Therefore, our breaks occur sporatically while we work 210 days a year (plus teacher work days). I am on a 2 week vacation now and will get another 2 weeks before September.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I wish my district was year round, but we are still on a 9 month calendar.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2011

I worked at a year round school and I loved it. Our schedule was a modified year round because we got four weeks between school years.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I have only been at traditional schools, but think I would like year round. Sometimes the summer seems long-even though it is only 9 weeks!!:)

8. gamerTeacher

gamerTeacher Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I have about a month off for the summer, a week in the fall, a week and a half in the winter, and two weeks in the spring (that's when the new year starts). I really enjoy it, and get enough breaks that I relax and refresh. I do have to come to work in the summer, but get 5 bonus days that can only be used in the summer.

The best thing is that we don't have to review as much, yet still feel like we have a duty free(ish) summer.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

Any of the schools in my area that were on a "year round" schedule went back to a traditional schedule because of budget issues. But, how they worked in my area was that students got three weeks off in November. Three weeks off in March and then 5 weeks in the summer.

10. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jun 28, 2011

No, but a committee has been formed to discuss the feasbility of it..however, I teach in a rural largely farming community/county, so I don't know how this will go...

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 28, 2011

Year-round here! I LOVE it. I hope I never have to go back. We just got out June 17th and in a week, once my trip is over, I know I'll start to get antsy. We have PD starting July 11th and kids come August 8th. I don't mind not having the kids for a few weeks, but I do wish I could get in my room sooner.

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I was on a year round schedule my first year and loved it. Three weeks off for fall, winter, and spring break. And I think I had about five weeks for summer.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

We're on a traditional schedule, although there are a few schools in my district that are on a year-round schedule. When my kids were little, I wouldn't have liked year-round, but wouldn't mind giving it a try now.

14. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I've only ever taught year round, but I love, love, love it. Just when you get to the point that you're about to blow a gasket, it doesn't matter because you're on track break.
    My track is really the best of both worlds. I have the track breaks, but the way it's set up, I still have an eight week summer break.
    Truthfully, I never want to go to traditional....sounds painful.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

As a teacher, I might be okay with it.

The idea was tossed around my hometown when I was a student, but it never really got anywhere. As a student, I had a huge problem with it. For one, when I was in high school, "breaks" were never really breaks. At least one, if not three or four, teachers would assign a book to be read, a paper to write, or some project to do over the break. It wasn't like summer when you truly had a break. You'd constantly be catching up and doing work for your classes all year long. It may be similar as a teacher- catching up on grading, planning ahead etc- I'd have a hard time just forgetting about school for 2 weeks when the year was still going on.

I also think summer breaks are simply good for the economy. People spend money in the summer when they're off on entertainment. People take summer jobs. HS kids get summer jobs. On a year round schedule, I wouldn't be able to work at the pool all summer. Even now I have a summer job- having to work all school year would do a number on my pocketbook. I could try to get some minimum wage part time job that I picked up hours for on our breaks throughout the year, but I wouldn't be able to do summer school/esy like I'm doing now- where I'm making a significant amount of money since it's still a professional job.