Anyone notice this commercial?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Jun 27, 2011.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

Oh, you're right "first date finest" referring to the wine. I missed that the first time-only saw the title, which you wouldn't see had it not been on youtube.

2. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

I did not interpret original commercial as a one night stand, I saw it as "I'd better brush my teeth in case I get a good night kiss"
    Truth

I think your minds are in the gutter :lol::toofunny::rofl:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

I mean, I know bachelors can be gross, but it's kinda sad that he'd have to buy a toothbrush for a date. Most people, you know, have one already. :p

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

Bachelors are gross...maybe he was buying it for himself! hahaha

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

:lol::lol: I have to agree, I didn't think much of it. :lol:

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

ok It was at the end of the 3 month use period for his current toothbrush ........

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

Okay, I'll buy that. And I have to give him credit for watching those blue bristles and taking action when necessary. :)

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

I supposed I should state for the record that I didn't necessarily have a huge problem with the original commercial. The first time I saw it, it did surprise me, because immediately my (dirty?) mind went to him convincing her to stay the night. The only reason I pointed it out was when I saw it again and it had been changed, I was kind of shocked.

In any case, I think they are getting double out of their ad money. Look at how much people are talking about Mastercard!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

Of course, funny or stupid and inappropriate or not, it doesn't do a thing for me in regards to wanting a Mastercard.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 27, 2011

There is a reason I have started watching Korean Dramas. I'm sick of American TV.

As for the idea that "we don't have to watch it." Thats old. That means we don't watch ANYTHING. After all, if I carefully selected a show, provided I could find one, that didn't have at least a lot of innuendoes or otherwise, I can't protect myself from the random commercial or when the show suddenly gets frisky (as it sometimes does).

What bothers me isn't so much that it is on television, but that we can't even filter it anymore.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 28, 2011

I've never had cable (my parents still don't have it) so I guess I wouldn't have been able to watch tv at all then. I never watched tv on my own until I moved out- we always chose and watched shows as a family. If my parents considered
    something "innappropriate" they didn't watch it themselves either. They still refuse to watch R rated movies. My parents are fundamentalist christians and are super strict- but even they let me watch "normal" primetime shows when I was a teenager. Age 10 or 11, no, but as a teenager yes. I wasn't allowed to watch pg-13 movies until I was actually 13 or tv-14 shows until I was actually 14. I've never heard of anyone else doing that. My mom tried to get me to stop watching Gilmore Girls (which was, and honestly is still one of my absolute favorite shows even though it's been off the air for years- I pull out my dvd sets all the time) when I was like 15 because the mother on the show "slept around" according to her. I'd consider that to be a pretty "moral" show. They did even have a character that waited for marriage- which is pretty much unheard of on tv today (mom loved that one!)

Would you let a 13 year old go to movies that aren't cartoons with their friends? Any pg-13 movie is going to have innuendo at the very least that's a lot stronger than a toothbrush. Would they be allowed to watch a "regular tv" show at a friends house or with the family?

I guess I just don't get why it's that big of a deal. If someone feels like their child would understand the innuendo (I can honestly say I was so sheltered I doubt I would have at 12 or 13), then they have seen or heard about this happening somewhere else- quite frequently if they understand what a toothbrush means. I mean honestly, if at 12 they'd directly said "I hope she spends the night" I might not have understood that he meant for sex. The whole toothbrush thing wouldn't have occured to me at all.

I also still don't get where everyone is getting "one night stand" from. I know there are a lot of older married people on here so maybe out of the dating pool for awhile- but having sex after a date is very, very common. That's not what "one night stand" means at all. The fact that they might sleep together on a first date has no bearing on whether their relationship will be meaningful. I'm honestly a bit of "prude" when it comes to that, but I don't know anyone my age who feels the same way. Most of the married teachers at my school slept with their husbands before they were "an item". They tease me for being "old fashioned" sometimes! Having recently come from a college campus (at a religous school as well), I can say that in my age bracket it's very rare to even see any sort of "date" happening at all before intamacy. A lot of my friends would be seeing someone for a couple months before they actually went on a "real date."

I'm just surprised with everything that's on tv/movies these days (some of which still shocks me), a comment about a toothbrush would be taken off the air.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

In all honesty, what you've written makes me sad. It's upsetting that having sex with a person before even being a couple is just...normal. Or as you said, before even a date. Sleeping with someone on a first day is so, so far out of the realm of possibility in my little bubble. I'm not even advocating that everyone should wait until marriage, but things are so far on the other side of that it's crazy.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

To each his own. I guess that's why it's good that each of us has the power to make our own choices. For me, I have no space and no time in my life to be bothered by people's sexual habits. They can do what they like. I'll do what I like. Everything will be fine.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2011

That would depend on the movie. My daughter is 10, and she's not into movies that aren't cartoons yet. Well, she really wants to see Monte Carlo, but I would probably group Disney movies into cartoons. And yes, if she wanted to watch a TV show, she can go ahead. As others have said, I don't wait for TV shows or, to get back to the topic at hand, commercials, to discuss important facts of life with my daughter. Once again, it just surprised me that a big company would take the risk of offending people.

I think that those that find it a "big deal" think so because the commercial made it seem like it was very "cool" to assume someone was going to spend the night, presumably to have sex.

Actually very few people have referred to this situation as a "one night stand". Cerek mentioned it first, somewhat offhandedly, and a few others mentioned it. Most people have not, although I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to assume that sex on the first date might be the first and last date.

Seriously? Can you please quantify this? I myself am 32, and yes married. I assume this puts me in the "older married people" category?

Well, thank goodness I'm out of the dating pool. I wonder where and with whom this is very, very common, because that is sad...

I just have to ask...how on earth do you know this? Is this a normal conversational topic?

Does "seeing someone" mean having sex? Lordy, am I glad I am an older married person...

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I know you've (ETA, Caesar) said before that you don't have time to be bothered by other people's sexual choices. And I get that. And there are instances when I certainly agree with you. But it's not as though it takes some tremendous amount of time and effort to be unpleased with promiscuity or other personal, private decisions. I'm not spending my days in deep thought or turmoil regarding this issue. I get the feeling, which may or may not be accurate, from such comments that you find it perhaps wrong, petty, pathetic...something...for me to be concerned. But as you said, to each his own.

My issue is that it's not always fine.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I wondered the same thing. I don't, but I could see it possible knowing if some of my close colleagues had sex with their spouse before marriage, but I can't imagine knowing if they had sex with their to-be-spouse before actually showing an interest in becoming a couple.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

You seem to be reading a lot into my comments. What I'm saying is that I think that worrying about other people's sexual habits is a waste of time, however much time that entails. Seconds, minutes, hours...to me it doesn't matter. It's not my business and I don't care about it.

It's okay that you do care about it. You're entitled to do what you want and to think how you want and to have the opinions that you do. I haven't called your opinions wrong or petty or pathetic. I've said that for me I have better things to do, the term "better" being based on my own interests and desires. My comments are about me and not about you.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I was clear that I could be mistaken in regards to the tone of your message...

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

You were clear, and I was just clarifying my comments as well. I hope everything's cleared up now. :)

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

Crystal. :)

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 28, 2011

Yes, it is a "conversation topic." As I mentioned in my post, this isn't something I personally believe in, and I sometimes get teased by the other teachers for being "old fashioned." We have a really small staff and we're all very close. We spend a lot of time together outside of work also. I didn't know anyone moving out here and although I have been able to meet people other places throughout the year, when I first got here these people were the only friends I had to do things with. I'm the only one at work that's not in at least a serious relationship, and I've told my work friends that I find dating difficult because everyone my age jumps into bed with someone after 2 seconds of knowing them, which isn't something I'm personally comfortable with. Which is when they all started mentioning when they first slept with their husbands/fiances/boyfriends. Most were the first night they met or after their first "real date." One of the girls from work just got engaged, and she met her fiance when she took him home for a "one night stand" from a club (obviously it turned into a relationship). My friend even tried to set me up with someone she used to live with, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least give it a try. He literally sings in the baptist church choir and invites people to his church anytime he's around us, so I was surprised when even he wanted to have sex after our first date. I ended things there. I said "older married people" because people out of the "dating pool" don't seem to realize that this is the norm now. I don't know of anyone my age, male or female, including friends my old church who are quite religious, who feel the same way I do about sex. My personal views aren't even to wait until marriage- but I don't believe in sleeping with someone I'm not in a serious relationship with. Even that is very rare for someone my age.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Even though I do believe "uncommitted sex" is increasingly common, I just find it difficult to believe that it's very rare to not buy into that. Maybe I'm wishfully thinking? Hopefully it's more of an isolated situation, but if not I find it disturbing. :(

ETA: Not to imply you're lying, of course...only that I hope it's not as common perhaps everywhere.

23. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

:yeahthat:

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 28, 2011

I'm 23- first year out of college (I had an early birthday for my grade). To be honest, I wish things weren't this way either. As I said, I have a hard time dating because I can't find anyone who feels the same way I do. I've lived in several different places across the country, and it's pretty much the same. I'm originally from Ohio, I went to college in Indiana, and I had a summer jobs in both Michigan and Illinois. I'm currently in Colorado and many people that work here have relocated from all over the country. At my school, we have people from New York, Ohio, Maine, North Dakota, Iowa,Florida, Virgina, California, and even Hawaii.

ETA: "Baptist choir boy" is from Alabama.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 28, 2011

I honestly am not that upset by this commercial but I am upset about T.V. in general these days. I've lost my choice to be able to pick something that doesn't contain smut. I am surprised that out of everything, this is the one that got pulled. That says simply that the company listened. I'm willing to bet most things get complaints but people turn a deaf ear towards it. Part of me thinks more highly of the company for this because most companies don't exercise smut free sense these days. After all, that's the way television has headed and it is widely accepted. The fact that they were willing to pull it was smart business really. It got people talking and I actually respect their decision because they listened.

27. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I agree cut, of all the sexually overt, disrespectful commercials that's the one that gets pulled? I actually find it bizarre. Look at the magnum one. That's obviously a play on oral sex. The miss turkey burger woman in bikini, sex clearly sells. The huge implication of women and girls being sex objects has been around since forever. I guess that's more acceptable to the general public.

So many more out there shown even if you're watching a family-oriented show. As someone mentioned, you can't escape it. But I'd rather all be les obvious like even the viagara commercial were tastefully done. Ky jelly and the condom commercials are still inappropriate to me because their presentation, I don't need to hear their moans and see them starting to act out on the condom ones, over the top IMO.

But Miss Turkey Burger looks beautiful though:) Awesome figure. I look at her in awe when the commercial comes on. I'm sure their sales flew through the roof :D

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

Yesterday, I saw one of the KY commercials at 5:30pm while watching Law and Order on TNT. :(

I have nothing against couples increasing their pleasure, but I never needed a commercial to inform me about the benefits of KY when I was married. I also find the one about the Bacholerette Party - where the bride-to-be has apparently received three "devices" for her personal pleasure and all three have been tested ahead of time by the giver to make sure they work (evidenced by their hair being "blown back"). Nothing wrong with using one of those, if that's your preference, but I still find a commercial about it to be somewhat distasteful.

As for my "one night stand" comment earlier in the thread, I guess the more appropriate phrase would have been "first-night stand" instead. Speaking from a guy's perspective, I can say that most guys will want to continue such a relationship....for a few months at least....but very few of them will be thinking about any long-term commitment. Instead, they will likely be looking for the next conquest. Also, a relationship that is built primarily on sexual attraction is not going to last in the long run because, eventually, that attraction becomes old and begins to wear off and then one or both of the partners begin looking for a new partner to get back that "sizzle".

29. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

This is what I'm talking about ~ why is this commerical on at 5:30pm :dizzy:

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

Same here! I thought he was getting a new toothbrush for himself... not that he didn't have one before, but that he was making sure everything was new and clean. LOL.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I just want to point out an aspect of the commercial that MAY contribute to the idea that he's considering sex on their first date. Before I even share it, I understand that some would say it's reading far too much into things, but perhaps it's another piece of the puzzle giving some viewers the overall belief that the toothbrush is in fact for her in the event she stays the night. It's the way he high-fives or whatever you'd call that the guy on the street...kind of like a man to man, "You go girl!" :haha:

I'm also surprised it was changed when you compare it to other commercials. But I think it's a good idea to not always compare...let a commercial stand on its own. Sure, it's not as provocative as (insert commercial), but that doesn't make it any less offensive, apparently, to some viewers.

32. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 28, 2011

I'm 23 years old and I can say that uncommitted sex is very common for girls and guys my age in my area. I went to a Catholic/Jesuit university and it was a huge, large issue. I waited 3 months into dating before having sex with my husband and all of my friends teased me for being a prude, tease, etc. I'd say that 90% of the girls in my graduating class at my university would sleep around and all slept with their boyfriends before they dated.

Its your opinion that its disturbing. Not everyone does. I just accepted that its a sign of the changing time and the new norms in our society.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I'm well aware that not everyone finds having casual sex disturbing.