Anyone notice this commercial?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

Mastercard has a commercial out right now depicting a young man getting ready for a first date. It's one of their typical styles, showing him buying things, with the "priceless" ending. It has bothered me a little because the first thing he buys is "an extra toothbrush, just in case", presumably for his date after she spends the night. Well, tonight as I was watching a show, he now buys a toothbrush "for that killer smile"! Apparently MC got a little flak for it!

Thoughts? Are commercials getting too risque?

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

Oh, yeah, I saw that one. My eyebrow raised when he bought the toothbrush "just in case." I saw the girl at the door and thought, watch out! he's got big plans tonight!

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2011

I think anyone old enough to put the connection together is old enough to see a commercial like that. It's not like a little kid would know what "just in case" means anyway. Pretty much any non-childrens tv show has storylines where characters are sleeping together-even the sort of "teen" shows on abc family (and it's a whole lot more obvious than what is portrayed here), so if they can watch that the commercial shouldn't be a big deal either. I assume they're not airing on nick or disney or saturday morning cartoon time or whatever.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

How many first dates turn into one-night stands (or at least end up in a sleepover)?

How many people live with their bf or gf these days?

I didn't see the commercial, but it sounds like it was just a reflection of the society we are living in.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I agree that it was over the line. I'm glad they changed it.

My 13 year old son would get it. And I don't want him to accept the idea that a one night stand is OK. I don't care whether it's OK in popular culture. In our house it isn't.

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

I saw the original and sent an e-mail to MasterCard saying that I thought it was inappropriate. I was very glad to see that it changed.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

Much of what is on tv these days is inappropriate. I don't care what today's social norms are...they aren't my social norms. I guess I'm a prude (and proud of it!)

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

I agree. It really frustrates me when the argument is "Well, you see it everywhere else" or "It's no worse than what's on _____." That just leads to a slippery slope...

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

It just surprised me that a big company like MC would buckle to public pressure.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

not to hi-jack ~ YEAH, why do I have to watch Trojan comericals and commericals for KY jelly while my dd and I watch Project Runway, or any other program that should be "safe" to watch with a 16 year???:dizzy:

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

I know! I remember when I used to get embarrassed at tampon commercials. Ah, the good ol' days...

13. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

If it loses sales, it's a reason for a company to buckle.

I don't think the commercial was really all that bad, but certainly people have a right to complain and the company can listen to those complaints.

You could choose not to watch the show.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I don't think it's any accident. They know the demographic. Apparently most of the Project Runway audience is their target audience. People like you and I are not the ones they're aiming for.

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

I really prefer streaming (Netflix, for example) even though the program will be older, because of NO COMMERCIALS.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

Yes, and our society is screwed up in numerous ways. Because it's a reflection of the world in which we live doesn't at all make it appropriate.

To answer the question...yes, commercials are often far too inappropriate.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

I agree. I'm much more shocked - and disappointed - to see these commercials on TV at any time, let alone during "prime time". I remember the movie "Lethal Weapon 2" in which Danny Glover's daughter starred in a condom commercial and thinking "Well they don't show those on TV". Unfortunately, now they do.

As for the MC commercial, I'm not offended or upset with the original version. It's aimed at guys and I'm a single guy, so I would have found it funny. But I give MC credit for listening to their customers and making the commercial more appropriate. :thumb:

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I think that condom commercials do have a place on TV, even (especially, really) during prime time and on channels that teenagers watch. We have too many teen pregnancies and STD transmissions to keep our heads in the sand any longer. Condom usage is one part of maintaining good health for certain people who are sexually active, so there should be commercials for that. To me it's like having commercials for Tylenol and milk.

As for the KY stuff, I do actually think that the audience of Project Runway would be their target demographic: 20- to 40-something women who are looking for a little pizazz in the bedroom. Most of the KY commercials feature married couples (you can see their rings if you look), and why shouldn't grown-up married folks enjoy their bedroom antics a little more? Sex is fun, and if it's not as fun as it could be, why not do something about it? I don't think that women wanting to have better orgasms is contributing to the downfall of our society.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

I use those commercials to start conversations with my children. BTW they're 19yrs. & 15 yrs.

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2011

First of all, the commercial didn't say anything about a one night stand. They were going on a date- that doesn't imply one night stand.

Second, I honestly cannot think of a single tv show (except for on nickelodeon or disney-and I'm quite sure neither of those stations are airing this commercial) that doesn't have story lines where unmarried characters are sleeping together. Those story lines also state it a lot more explicitly, or even show part of what's going on-it's way more obvious than what's said in this commercial. If you don't want your teens to watch this commercial, what shows do you let them watch on tv where they wouldn't see much more explicit talk about sex?

21. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

:agreed:

I actually liked the original mastercard commerical.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

He's getting "an extra toothbrush, just in case."

Of what, if not a one night stand???

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2011

Just in case she spent the night, obviously. That doesn't mean it was going to be a one time thing. One night stand implies a one time hook-up- like someone they met at a bar or a club, took home that night, and never spoke to again. There's nothing in the commercial to imply that's whats happening here.

And I noticed that you didn't answer the question about what you DO let your teen watch if you don't want him to see this commercial. The last show I can remember that even had a character that was vocal about waiting for marriage was Everwood, and that was years ago. It was also just one character- numerous other characters on the show were in unmarried sexual relationships. Pretty much any tv show also has characters that sleep together on the first date and/or sleep together before they're actually "in a relationship". I think it'd be hard to find one that didn't actually convey an actual "one night stand" at some point througout the series as well.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

OK, you're right. Maybe it will be a lasting relationship based on sex the first night. Still not the message I want my 13 or 11 year olds to see.

As to their TV viewing habits:
    Brian adores the history channel and the military channel. He's also starting to get into the Sci Fy channel.

Julia adores Cake Boss, Project Runway, Top Chef, and the Disney Channel/Nick Jr. shows: Good Luck Charlie, Victorious, and the rest.

And, for the record, my kids are not in the market for a Master Card.

Oh, and for the record.. you "noticed" that I didn't answer your question. My apologies. Kira is running a fever and called for me. I thought that tending to her should be the highter priority, and hit "send" before running upstairs.

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

Alice, I was starting a list of things my kids watch on TV, and I am not kidding--this is what I had:

TLC-Cake Boss, 19 Kids
    Top Chef
    Disney Channel
    Nat Geo
    History Channel
    NASA TV
    Food Network

I think our kids would get along well. As for "my" shows, thank goodness for DVR. This is why I'm up late-so I can watch what I want after they go to bed.

And, FTR, we must not be the only ones who assume that the guy is preparing for someone to spend the night (read into that what you will), if MC went ahead and changed the commercial.

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I think we (mom and dad) should be able to watch a TV show at 8pm with our daughter not have to see commericals like Trojan Man and KY warming jelly.

And good grief, I don't need these commericals to talk to my daughters about sex . . .

27. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

I agree!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

The funny thing is that if I proudly proclaimed as a parent that I suggested my kids had sex on a first date, I can say with aboslute certainty that these boards would be jumping with comments about my poor parenting.

And this time they would be absolutely correct.

29. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

Funny story. My husband carried an extra toothbrush in his car/pocket for the first two months we dated... He would brush his teeth after dinner or a movie to freshen his breath for the goodnight kiss.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

Interesting and good point, Alice.

31. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

I'm glad I missed the commercial. My offspring watch many of the shows included on Alice's list and kc's list. We watch whatever tv that is seen together as a family. We don't care to see shows that promote extramarital sex, and therefore, we skip most of the "popular" shows and sitcoms. We also don't care to have our conversations about sex driven by the time table of a commercial. I don't need the help, thanks. When we have those conversations, we give them our full attention rather than talking over the show we are watching. We don't need Madison Ave's help in dealing with our children. As to what others watch, feel free. It is your choice. We also watch Leave it to Beaver where the ads include the new Fran Drescher ads and the Hot in Cincinnati ads, all of which include sexual innuendo that I find inappropriate to the time of day the show is broadcast. As for me and mine, we click on to the weather channel or whatever during commercials and have gotten quite expert at timing it.:cool:

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2011

If the commercial had shown the guy brushing because of the garlic bread at dinner, very few people would have an objection. I know there are people who object to a kiss on a first date but I think the overnight stay on a first date would have more people objecting to it being portrayed on a commercial.

33. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

That is what I probably would have thought about the toothbrush if I had seen the ad. As the daughter of a mother who carries a toothbrush everyday, and has been known to swish her mouth and spit out Listerine at a stop light, I would not think anything odd about such.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

I wish I could see the original commercial...I googled it but was unsuccessful. From what I can tell, though, he's buying the toothbrush for her, right? In case she stays the night at his place?

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

It doesn't say one way or the other, but I think the implication is that it is for her. I mean, he would already have his own toothbrush, right?

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Here's the original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27m7k20Pag4

Edit: I think that this might be the Australia version, but the original US version was pretty close to this. There might have been a guy doing a voice-over as well, but I don't remember.

37. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

I just watched it, I didn't get the impression it was a first date/one night stand because its not normal to go to a house for a first date.

I guess people could also object to it since he would be being dishonest with his "home cooked meal"

I actually found it funny that he shoved everything into his dishwasher to hide his mess! I can totally see a few of my friends doing that.

Speaking of commercials that change...there was a car commercial on recently that had texting acronyms for everything but then they related it to the car and when it originally aired WTF was one of them, my mom was shocked and next time it was on she called me to look at it and it was changed.

38. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

I think its easy to read into things or insinuate by using our beliefs, culture, influences, etc and this is one of those situations. There was no real implication that this was a first date or one night stand.

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 27, 2011

I think the commercial was funny overall but the toothbrush bit was a bit tacky. I wasn't offended by it but I can see how kids might notice it and ask why the guy needed a toothbrush. I'm sure parents could just explain that he had to brush his teeth after that "home cooked meal" LOL

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Aspercreme had a commercial for a little while where the slogan was "You bet your sweet Aspercreme". I laughed whenever I heard it. After a couple of weeks it changed to "You bet if it's Aspercreme", which I think doesn't make as much sense.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQrv6-viEUk

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

The original commercial (at least in Austraila, the one posted above) clearly stated it was a first date.

I believe it's perfectly reasonable to say the toothbrush was purchased in case she stayed the night, although I don't get the impression it would be a one-night stand if she did. Whether that is a problem or not is obviously a personal matter.