Anyone NOT student teaching yet?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Mrs. Q, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

I just wondered if anyone else is as far away from certification as I am? haha.

I am a senior in college (getting my B.S.) but am just now working on getting accepted into the educator program. My advisor is letting me combine two phases, but it will still be the spring of 2010 before I can student teach. Anyone else have a while to go?

3. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Meeeee!!! im doing my student teaching sep 2010 or jan 2010::wub:

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

Yay! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!! :D And it's funny that we have similar screen names... "Q" and "Z" are certainly not initials that you see every day!

Are you elementary or secondary ed?

5. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Sep 24, 2008

HA!!! were cute!!!
    Im elementary ed... what grade do you love so far?

6. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Mrs. Q, dont feel bad at all I took me a few semesters to "officially" get accepted into the education program at my school. I struggled with the THEA math section because the state passing is one score while the education program set the bar ten points higher, talk about frustration! Everyone says the time goes by so fast and it really does once you become "official." I don't think it's really hit me yet that May is arriving fast.

7. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

I'm secondary, b/c I was already a journalism major. I decided a little late in my school career (just this year!) that I wanted to get certified. :)

I have to say though, when I was subbing, I absolutely adored the 2nd graders! If I ever go back for another degree, I would love to teach that age.

8. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Good luck with your coursework.

9. kkristina

kkristina New Member

Sep 27, 2008

I am a third year Bachelor of Secondary Education major in Math, and I will be a student teacher next year. I am expected to graduate in 2010. My classmates and I have tried to be substitute teachers in our lab school. It was somehow tiring but fun and unforgettable at the same time.

Good luck on getting accepted in your educator program.

10. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Sep 27, 2008

I haven't student taught yet. I have this semester + 2 more before I student teach in Jan 2010.

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

Welcome to the club! ;0) Looks like there are several of us on the same timeline! :)

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 27, 2008

I have 1.5 more years myself.

13. SkyFlakes

SkyFlakes New Member

Sep 27, 2008

If things go as planned, I'll be a student teacher around June next year.

Half excited, half terrified. Yikes!

To be honest, I am feeling a bit queasy knowing that I'll be teaching in about a year's time. This isn't exactly my first career choice; heck I am still not sure what I want to be. I kind of ended up here because I rather enjoyed teaching small groups of classmates and younger relatives when I was in high school.

14. maggie saborr

maggie saborr New Member

Sep 28, 2008

1 and half years away from reality of teaching

me also! :p I am a third year college student taking up Bachelor in Secondary Education major in math (soon-to-be teacher by 2010), and hopefully, next school year of the month of June here in the Philippines, we'll have this practicum with our students. We already handled them for a couple of hours only, when we had the substitution for the preservice teachers on the scheduled day. But still, the experience was great. They were immaturely want to get involved in getting to know about us. :)

Goodluck and God Bless on us :)

15. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Sep 28, 2008

I won't do my student teaching till Jan 10 due to the set up of the master's program. I am very nervous to do it :/

16. UniQue_Ancheta

UniQue_Ancheta New Member

Oct 1, 2008

sTiLL a Long way to g0... feeLi'n' very excited about it!

:haha: Me too! I'm a third year coLLege student of BS.Secondary Education Major in Science -BioChem- in the University of Santo Tomas here in the Philippines. Indeed that 1 and a half year (2010) is still a long way to go but I'm already looking forward to those days that we will be teaching what we have learned. :thumb: We were chosen to teach. ;) and by the time that we will graduate and become a teacher, that's the best time that we could prove to our teachers that we've learned a lot from them! :angel: Let's all enjoy the last training year/s gettin' crazy :dizzy: with the completion of requirements before we become A TEACHER. a masterpiece/s of our teachers. :thumb:

17. Belle_26

Belle_26 New Member

Oct 1, 2008

Hi there!!! I'm Belle, a 3rd year education student and majoring in mathematics. You're not the only one girl!! Even me, I still got a long way to go before teaching. Even if I'm already in 3rd year, I still feel that I need to learn more.

Actually, I got so excited because lately we substituted for the pre-service teachers. It's sUUUUUUuuuperrrr fun! and tiring of course;) But after that day, I came to the realization that being a teacher is really a rewarding profession. So I'll do whatever it takes to be an efficient teacher to my future students and I know that you will too:)

18. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 1, 2008

I win on being the youngest!!
    I'm a freshmen right now at my university!
    But i joined the boards to get ideas for the school age care program I work for!!

19. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Oct 3, 2008

TEACHER2BE123- where in NY are you?

20. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

I will not student teach until this time next Fall, so you are not alone,lol.

21. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Oct 4, 2008

Me, Me!! I student teach next September and graduate next December.. I CAN'T wait!!

22. Politrickster

Politrickster New Member

Oct 5, 2008

I as well. I'm gonna teach real soon, though, can't wait!

Haha, I was roughly in that same predicament myself. I'm not yet teaching formally, but I've subbed in a couple of classes, and I enjoyed them so much that I just knew that teaching is the thing for me.

Good luck!

23. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Oct 6, 2008

I thought you were way ahead of me!!! well you are still a term ahead!!!

24. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 6, 2008

I won't be graduating until May of 2011, but according to the curriculum they have us doing 3 internships. It is the final internship though that really has us in the classroom M-F all day. I actually start my first education classes this spring and look forward to each and everyone.

25. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

I will begin the S.T process in Spring 2009 and I am very very nervous and fearful.

26. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Oct 6, 2008

I student teach in the fall of 2009!

27. Mrs. DO

Mrs. DO Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

I am right there with you!

I may be 100 before I complete my classes and begin student teaching! I started college right after high school in 1991 and had to drop out due to family issues.
    Then I got married and had a child. Now, 17 years later:haha:, I have completed 21 credits at my community college and plan to finish up there in about 1 year.
    I will graduate some day and will be a secondary english teacher!

28. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

I'm actually starting to observe on Friday. =] I just hope my teacher is really nice. She seems like she is because she was more than willing to let me sit in and watch all friday. I'm kind of nervous, it is my first time I'm observing. I have been in a school before for an after-school program, but it is totally different during the school day. Has anyone else observed yet? Have any tips of wisdom of what to look for and what not to do and what to do? :p

29. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Oct 8, 2008

Ms. Z, I think I am~ class wise. I am in ETP. I couldn't DT in January due to the timing of our move from Japan back to the U.S. I'll probably be taking a term break from April- to student teaching! NICE! LOL!

30. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

Miss-Blue: I start observation in a couple of weeks as well. Don't be nervous! The teachers that do that are usually more than willing to give you any information you want, as long as you don't interrupt their lesson for it. I've been in schools lately, but as a sub, so mostly the teacher wasn't there. When I worked as an aide sub, it was like doing observation. :)

My husband is prior Army and I had looked into teaching in different states as well. It's usually much harder to get your initial certification than it is to get it to transfer, but it depends on the state. You could always work as a sub or some alternative teaching if you moved to a state where it was hard to transfer. Also, some bases have DoD schools and they have different requirements, but they're the same everywhere.

31. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Oct 8, 2008

ohhhhh!!! well when i need help im coming to you!!!

32. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Oct 8, 2008

Sure thing~ I am always here for help if needed!

33. mdwatson

mdwatson New Member

Oct 12, 2008

Anyone got me beat? I'm in my 9th week of my freshman year of college :p

34. Teach2Change

Teach2Change Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

I'm a few days late on this thread...

But I'm also a pre-service teacher not-yet-student teaching. I start student teaching in January--just a few more months! Up until this semester, I was terrified, but the closer it gets (and the more prepared I get), the more excited I am becoming. I already know that I'm in 1st and 4th grade. I taught a kindergarten unit at that school in May, so I was able to see the school and teachers, which was nice.

But right now I'm still doing coursework, although I spend every Friday in the classroom teaching lessons/units and helping the regular teacher--basically, student teaching one day a week. Haha :).

I know I'll be looking to this site for support once I do start!