Anyone mind comparing preschool salaries?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by bijansmom, Jan 31, 2003.

1. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Jan 31, 2003

I know there will be geographical differences -- if you care to disclose your hourly rate, state, benefits?, paid holidays?, private vs. public institution.

I just got a raise --15.25/hour for 2 1/2 hours a day PLUS an hour of planning time totals 3 1/2 daily as head teacher in a nonprofit school in CT. No benefits as I am part time (that's ok as I use hubby's), no paid holidays.

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 31, 2003

I don't know what my hourly rate was, but annually (in 1999) I earned $23,000 for a seven and half hour day. This was basically a parent co-op. When I taught preschool for the public school system, I began at $30,500 (in 2000). I no longer teach that age but am still in the same system, and two years later, with a masters degree, I now make $43,000. We have gotten excellent raises here lately because of a teacher shortage. I am in a MD suburb of Washington, DC.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 31, 2003

$$$

Wow. You folks are so lucky. I have a B.S in child devel. and have taught for the past 4 years. I have never made above $9.00 and hr. My first job paid that but it was such horrible place to work I quit. For the past two years I have worked full-time at a private daycare with limited benefits for $8.00 and hr. I also worked at a toy store at night and on the weekends for a grand total of about $17,000 a year. Stinks huh. I am now working for headstart through the Community Action Council of Kentucky. I work full time and make $27,000 a year. I'm rich!!

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jan 31, 2003

A lot of our daycares here pay about what you used to make. The CDC I was at required that teachers have bachelor's degrees and therefore paid more. I should also add that a one bedroom apartment around here begins at about $900, and this is NOT a wealthy area.

6. Betsey

Betsey New Member

Feb 1, 2003

I am a preschool teacher/director for the county parks and rec. in topeka, ks. I've been here for over 4 years. We teach 4 classes of 15 children each at various times. I now make 9.50 per hour. I'm considered a 3/4 time employee because I don't have a summer program, therefore the county pays 3/4 of my insurance. It works out okay except that if I don't work in the summer they don't pay the insurance, even if I get the 3/4 in throughout the rest of the year. This will be the second year I have carried the insurance. It makes the summer difficult because not only do I not have a pay check I also have to absorb the total cost of the insurance premiums.:confused:

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 1, 2003

I taught preK as head teacher in a high school for a year (the preschool was a 'living lab' for the HS kids taking family living and child development courses.) My aides (2 of them) made about $9 an hour . This was 4 years ago. Since part of my day I worked with the HS kids planning for their interactions with my PreK kids, I was paid the HS teacher's rate (with a masters degree starting at $47,000) I know - it was great money for preK, but not the kind of teaching I wanted to do. I was able to go to an elementary the next year within the area and made about the same amount! ( I'm in northern NJ)

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 1, 2003

I teach in a public school in rural Alabama and have my master's degree in SPE. I teach preschool special ed. I get paid what other teachers with the same amount of years experience with a master's gets... approx $36K. The job I had before was at a mental hospial teaching on the child unit ages 3-12. With that being a private facility, the pay was no where near what the public schools paid... I got $20K. The teacher hired on a few months later for the HS teacher position there only got $19K. We worked from 7:30Am until 6:30 or so PM with 6 days off a year and some worked weekends at family sessions with no extra pay for that. I was good at weasling my way out of that. They required a degree in learning disabilities. Around there the near college only offered that at a master's level. They won't ever keep a teacher there with $20K for a masters when they can almost get double in the public schools and HOLIDAYS GALORE!!!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 2, 2003

Okay, here is my comparison:

I like everyone else's salaries far better than I like my own.

Sigh ....

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Feb 2, 2003

I am in agreement with you, Upsadaisy. :(

11. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 2, 2003

I teach full day Kindergarten in a provate day care. I started last year at $22,500 and got a raise this year. Now I make $25,000. Public school teachers around here start at around $31,500 but I have a smaller class size and I develop my own curriculum (sometimes a blessing, sometimes too much darn work!!!).

Before I moved up here I worked in a day care center and with my bachelors in elem. ed. I only made $6.50 an hour so I had to work two other jobs to be able to pay my bills...:rolleyes:

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 3, 2003

salary

I taught in a small school three years ago and made $11.75 I quit because of how the teachers were treated. I now work for a school with 250 kids. The pay starts at $7hr. i now make $9.75 with paid vacations and vip hours you can use at anytime.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 4, 2003

I am in Connecticut, I have a B.S in Early Childhood Education and a Head Teacher certificate. I have been teaching a half day 4 y.o pre-k class for 5 years at a NON-PROFIT center (the childrens' tuition pays my salary) I make 9.35/hour with no benefits - Thank goodness my husband has a good job! - My center follows the public school calendar so I do not work holidays, school vacations, snow days or in the summer (I do not get paid for these days either)

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 4, 2003

I work in Syracuse New York at a private early childhood program as a preschool teacher and only make $7.50 per hour. I have a bachelor's degree as well as all the other teachers at my center. We are one of the best programs in Syracuse. Most of the teachers at my school are working two jobs to make ends meet. The turnover rate among teachers here is very high.

I know there will be geographical differences -- if you care to disclose your hourly rate, state, benefits?, paid holidays?, private vs. public institution.

I just got a raise --15.25/hour for 2 1/2 hours a day PLUS an hour of planning time totals 3 1/2 daily as head teacher in a nonprofit school in CT. No benefits as I am part time (that's ok as I use hubby's), no paid holidays.
    [/QUOTE]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 5, 2003

I WORK IN THE INNER CITY OF NJ. THE STARTING SALARY IS 41,000. I CAME IN WITH 5 YRS EXPERIENCE SO I MAKE BIT MORE. ITS A HUGE DIFFERENCE FROM WHEN I TAUGHT PRE-K MAKING $7.75 AN HOUR. NOW I TEACH K. AND I GET 15 SICK DAYS & 3 PERSONAL!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 10, 2003

Pay

I am in school for a CDA and I make 6.44 an hour. I have been here one year. I would take anyone elses pay.

17. Winnie8604

Winnie8604 New Member

Feb 16, 2003

pay

I work at a day care after school with a YMCA program and I am only 17 and I make $6.00 just starting. I am considering going into elementary education or preschool education and I find it very helpful knowing what pays and where, I am picking colleges now, and I am trying to find a place I will like, but also somewhere that I can be a teacher and it will pay for ends meat. I was always told teaching is a job for someone who knows they will not make a lot but will find happiness in making a child smile, or changing a childs life. It is my years in elementary school that I loved, and elementary and preschool are when children start to develop who they are, and teachers can really have a huge influence on them.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 17, 2003

My salary

I feel embarrassed to post my pay. I have a BS degree and have worked in child care 5 years. I make $6.00/hr. Pitiful West Virginia pay.

19. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Feb 17, 2003

Right now I am teaching in a play/music parent/child program and make $12 an hour. I can't complain about that at all!

When I was teaching PreK, I was making $11,500 for 4 half days and one full day in a nonprofit school. When I worked full time, I was at $22,000. Our PreK salaries can't even compare to public schools salaries! I know daycares around here (I'm in NY) pay between $6 and $8 an hour, and that's with Bachelors degrees. It's so sad because teachers all work hard, and have education, and we should all be paid better!

20. sarahanne19

sarahanne19 Guest

Feb 18, 2003

money!!

well i am working in daycare and to tell you the truth it does not pay big bucks. But I love my job and I dont think that I would ever give it up. The only way that i am paying my bill is because I have a second job. If you really like what you are doing I would consider getting a second job on weekends or something!

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 19, 2003

Texas has it best. The STARTING salaries for teachers is from 30,000-37,000 plus stipens for spanish and any other critical shortage area--but things are changing and jobs are getting scarce with the economy so bad

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 19, 2003

That's it. I'm moving!!! LOL

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 26, 2003

I teach Pre-K, and have a B.A. and a M.Ed., specializations in early childhood, ESL, and Bilingual Education, with three years experience. I do not know the hourly rate or anything, but I believe my yearly salary is about 33,000. We work the standard public school schedule, with 10 days sick leave or personal leave (our district has it set up where unless you are missing three days or more in a row, you can apply for days as personal instead of sick, to cover for illnesses of extended family or the like.) I'm fairly happy with my salary, although a little down about my master's bonus: only 1,000 a year extra for all of that work!! It wouldn't be a big deal, but the districts within 30 minutes of my district are paying between 3,000 and 6,000 for specializations and master's degrees! A friend of mine is making closer to 40K with the same credentials I have. I couldn't bear to leave my school, though. We have a turnover of no more than 1-2 teachers a year out of a staff of 55, and it is the *best* working environment I have been in, ever. Usually in these parts, turnover is around 10% to even 50%!!! In fact, teachers usually only leave because they are moving to administration or their husbands are moving north (my school is in south Texas). At our school, the majority of the teachers have been there for at least 10 years or more, which I understand is common in the midwest, but unheard of down here. I would *never* admit it out loud, but I would work for less if I was guaranteed a classroom at my school regardless. Sometimes extra money is not worth the extra stress!

24. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 2, 2003

I work for a head start program in central pennsylvania. I earn $10.01 an hour. I do not work in the summer, but our salaries are stretched so that we receive paychecks all year round. I have PTO which accumulates at 4 hours per 80 hours of work, paid holidays, and a flexible schedule. I am able to create my own curriculum to a certain extent (our program uses the creative curriculum). I feel very fortunate to have what i have for this area. I have a CDA and my Associate degree in Early Childhood Ed is almost complete. I have been employed with Head Start for 3 years.

25. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Mar 3, 2003

Can everyone remember to list your city and state? :)

I live in Seattle, WA. and work full time as a pre-K teacher. I have worked at this same location for 10 years and currently make $15.25 an hour. I have full medical and dental (although my kids are not covered), and I have 10 sick days and 10 vacation days per year. I also receive 2 hours of (paid) planning time a week. The school is private and holidays are paid....

26. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 3, 2003

Well, I have you ALL beat! I'm coming from a daycare in West Virginia, making a WHOLE $5.45 an hour, having started out at 5.15 (federal minimum wage)!! We have 8 paid holidays a year, and 4 paid personal days every 3 months.