Anyone MAKE Their Own Clothes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2009

I'm not necessarily talking about an entire wardrobe, but do any of you make anything that you wear?

Not me. I don't have time for that, but it would probably be fun. I think I was helping my mom make a skirt for me many yrs ago, but we never finished it. My mom can sew very well... she made most of my Halloween costumes when I was a child. :)

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

I used to make my daughter's Halloween costumes and some clothes. I've made a few items of clothing for myself. I find that because I am working on it for so long, it doesn't feel new when I first wear it.

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 10, 2009

My mom is a great seamstress. She made some of my clothes for me when I was younger, and she also made costumes,etc. I am learning to sew from her. My goal is to eventually make some of my clothes (dresses, skirts, etc.). I started this weekend, and I have made a totebag. Slow, but getting there.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 10, 2009

I tried making a few items, but I always ended up cutting it wrong and after buying more fabric it always ended up costing more than if I would have bought it.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 10, 2009

I used to make my own PJ pants! I had a really simple pattern and liked using funky flannels.

I was a teenager when I did that! A very, very, long time ago! I want to learn to sew better, as there are so many times it comes in handy!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2009

I've thought about learning how to make clothes this year. I have a very thin body and finding clothes that fit me is so hard. Clothes that may fit my hips end up being too short for my legs, for example. Plus, I like a certain style, simple but chic and it's kinda hard to find exactly what I'm looking for. So, since I"m not working this year, full time, I think this would be an amazing chance to start this!!! (after I'm done studying for the CSET! :))

I think I will first start off with something easy like a skirt, but my goal is to learn to make a whole outfit, pants, cool jacket, scarf, and a cool hat! :)

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2009

I'm hopeless. My MIL is a form HomeEc (when it was still called that) teacher and she cannot teach me to crochet a stitch. I cannot even sew on a button.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2009

I used to sew for myself and also for my DD when she was young, but who has time these days? (Though I did purchase a pattern for an Elizabethan gown - I've got a Queen Elizabeth costume, but eventually I'd like to upgrade it to something made with more authentic fabric.)

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

I used to make my kids' halloween costumes (and Christmas outfits) as well. my only REAL sewing throughout the year. (But MY clothes? I'm not that good of a seamstress.)

Story:

I decided when my daughter was two that I would start a tradition of making her (and her brother's) halloween costumes each year that they were still interested (you know-in their later years they don't want a mom-made costume-or they want to make it themselves).

So I announced this to my husband, and then turned to my 2 year old and said..."honey, what do you want to be this year..you can be ANYTHING." And without a moment to think... she said, "I want to be a zebra." My husband nearly spit out his food laughing and saying "good luck with THAT one!".

I made a BEAUTIFUL zebra costume...maybe I can find a way to post the picture...with a hood that had a black tulle mane and puffed tail. So I am sewing like crazy to beat the deadline of a park district Halloween party...and about a half hour before we leave the house she says... "Mommy, I don't want to be a zebra anymore. I want to be a princess."

AAARGGGG!!!

So thinking fast (as all teacher's do)...I said, "LOOK!" And I sewed on bows of pink satin ribbon at the hoofs and the ears and said... "NOW, you are .. a Zebra Princess!" And she was in heaven! ;)

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

Someday i want to make myself something like this to wear for school halloweens or themed unit presentations.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2009

I used to make clothes all the time. I learned how to sew in elementary school with the 4-H program. My mom learned as I learned. She is better at it than I am, but I still can sew a basic outfit.

Mostly I just alter clothes I buy. I have short legs & arms and a big chest, so I have to alter quite a bit. Finding a store that sells clothing fabric is difficult. There are no stores in my town. The next town has stores that only sell quilting & crafting types of fabrics. I have to drive at least 50 miles one way to find clothing fabric. I only make clothes if I need something specific.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 10, 2009

The only outfit I've sewn is a baby outfit for my son. It was a pair of pants and a top with snap buttons. Came out quite cute!

I am however officially certified to teach students how to sew if I teach at a school where FACS still does sewing. So far at my school I have not been rostered for our fashion class though. I did teach a crafts class least year where the students used the machines for beanie babies and patchwork pillows. Much easier than sewing a garment!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2009

The only fabric store I've seen in the last decade or so is Joanne's Fabrics. Are there any other big fabric stores? I remember there were more when I was a child in the 80s.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 14, 2009

I love to sew, but would have trouble with pants or sleeves. I rarely follow a pattern, so skirts are best for me.

I made a fabulous can-can dancer outfit for Halloween one year after Mulan Rouge-I remember staying up until 2 or 3 each morning working on it, watching the movie over and over. I just extended a poodle skirt pattern and did the rest from instinct.

This is a skirt I made out of ties I collected:

[​IMG]

16. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Oct 14, 2009

Wow, Jem. The tie skirt looks really cool and original.

I don't sew. I did sew a little bit in elementary school. I made a stuff teddy bear and made a quilt square to form a "name quilt" that is still hanging up in my old elementary school.

I would love to be able to sew but I don't have the patience.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 14, 2009

cool skirt, jem

mckenna- i love that story! how sweet! a zebra princess...lol

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2009

Do you wear the skirt Jem? It's cool.

BTW- It's Moulin Rouge (French for Red Windmill). Mulan is the Disney movie set in China.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2009

I sewed when I was a teenager-- skirts, a dress, nothing too complicated.

I've made curtains. They're probably the easiest thing in creation to make! And I've made some runners for the dining room table, and as gifts. Again, incredibly easy.

But for the past few years, the only sewing machine in the house has belonged to my 9 year old daughter. It's been used mostly for throw pillows.

As for Halloween Costumes, see here: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=70586&highlight=gorilla

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2009

I pretty much knew that any future as a seamstress was not to be when I put the needle of the sewing machine through my thumb in grade 8 (yes, really). Of course, that may have been when my future as a teacher was decided because I was so appalled at how my teacher handled the whole situation!

Great skirt, Jem!

21. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 15, 2009

Jem! I absolutely love this skirt! What material did you line it with? It is so super cute!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2009

Nice Jem!

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 15, 2009

Thanks! It's not lined. I took the 'stuffing' out of the ties, as it's very, very heavy even without the inner stuffing. I need to re-inforce the waistline, as I just used a very thin tie to create it and the tie is stretching, meaning it's hanging off my hips by the end of the day. I did it all by hand, as well, so it's very delicate. I do wear it, but only on very special occasions.

I simply cut all the ties to the same length, opened them up, took out the inner padding/stuffing, and then sewed the sides together in this overlapping pattern. I love just imagining how things might go together, and then just doing it. I need a sewing ROOM, though, as dh hates having my fabric out in the family room. We just looked at a place that had 10 different rooms, and he actually said that one would be a good craft room.... oh, the things I could sew!!! ;)

24. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 15, 2009

I hate to sew. When I get finished, it looks hand made. And the mess I make when sewing is unbelieveable. I am much happier buying what I need. I just found capri pants on sale for 50% off, and bought two. They are just the right length for me.

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 15, 2009

Love your skirt Jem!

I used to sew and smock little dresses all the time. I even had a pleater to pleat dresses to be smocked for DD. She has some beautiful dresses that I made. Made some great Halloween costumes too. I don't sew much at all anymore, you can buy smocked dresses cheaper than you can make them, time being of the essence. I kept all the dresses I made DD, great heirlooms.