Anyone Like to Pull Pranks?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 7, 2011

wow, not cool, not cool at all.
    Things like this don't heal anyone and it doesn't mend broken relationships.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 7, 2011

Well, the thing is, earlier, I said that his dad won't know that he's up to this anyway & my BF is so completely done w/ his dad because he's given him so, so many chances throughout the yrs that he doesn't care about a relationship w/ him. (In fact, my BF's other 2 siblings can't stand their own dad either.) I could write pages of things his dad did to him. So I guess my BF figures one little spider prank is no big deal.

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2011

Are you going to use a real spider?

Is the man old enough that he might have a heart attack?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I disagree, strongly, with every single word you typed.

And whether or not you choose to be there when it happens in totally immaterial. Every mob boss who ever existed was smart enough to be elsewhere when his orders were carried out. It doesn't make them any less culpable.

The fact that he won't get caught only makes him less of a man, who won't even own up to his own actions. It's pretty easy to be brave when you won't get caught.

Cruelty is cruelty and can't be explained away.

If your boyfriend chooses to cut ties with his dad, that's his choice. But sneakily tormenting another person is NOT what adults do. And, as you've told us numerous times, leopards don't change their spots. People who do cruel things tend to be cruel people.

I think you should both reconsider your relationship.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I think that severing all ties with his dad would be the best way for your boy friend to send the message that he's "done" with him.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

If your BF is done with his dad, he should be done. This planned act is not a prank, it's disgusting. That you are taking any part in it doesn't say much for you, either. Even though you are "not going to be there", you've had a hand in it. This isn't something that mature, responsible people do.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

Heart attacks can happen at any age.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 8, 2011

This thread becomes more and more unreal.
    Ms. I - spend some time with the words from Alice.

9. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 8, 2011

Ms. I-

You frequently tell us how kind and thoughtful you are; look deep to see if this act meets your definition.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

I'm a vegetarian because I have huge issues with animal cruelty in the industry. So, I do have a big issue with the fact that a live tarantula will be used. Even though I am a bit nervous around them, my partner teacher when I taught kindergarten had two of them. I grew to respect these quiet creatures. And the kids loved them too!

I ask that if you do go through with this stunt, that you at least purchase a fake spider. Since neither of you will be there, this spider WILL be killed.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

There are two things that I find disturbing in this whole thing. One is that you plan to use a live spider to scare someone. I have a paralyzing fear of spiders, so to me this is beyond cruel. The second problem is the motives behind the "prank". I have a few friends at work that are in a bit of a prank war at work, and I loved it. I laughed so hard all year at what they came up with, because they are friends and its all in fun. You don't prank someone because they are an a**hole or because you don't want them in your life. That is revenge. It's mean. It's not funny.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2011

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 8, 2011

Okay. I'll go. I only eat meat and dairy that is certified organic and certified cruelty-free whenever possible. About 90% of my bath, hair, and beauty products are vegan. I do not buy any leather new, but rather buy leather products on consignment or buy the faux stuff. Is it perfect? No. Do I do whatever I can to make decisions that make the least impact on other living things? Yes, absolutely. And I can't imagine intentionally choosing to something that is not only mean-spirited and cruel, but also potentially harmful to a living being, even if that being is a bug. While I am tolerant of all people, I have a hard time respecting decisions that intentionally cause harm to others, and I instinctively judge people who make those choices.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2011

MissCeliaB, that's great, but as many vegans, etc. that there are out there, there's just as many fur-wearing meat eaters.

We better close this thread because it's been somehow turned into an animal activist thread & people saying things like, "Well I drink non-fat milk, so that's using up less from the animal & is therefore better than drinking whole millk." (BTW, I eat a lot of organic foods too.)

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

My concern is neither you or BF will be there. And you said that the family is in pest control business. So, I AM concerned, given what you shared, that this tarantula will be killed.

Again, why not use something fake, at least?

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

I have to disagree. I just don't agree in using a live animal that has no say in the manner to be used in this stunt. :(

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

Okay, this is why I thought he wouldn't really be there. I thought he was done with his dad meaning no real contact. I'm just sooo confused what the point of this prank is.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2011

OK, so I'm the bad guy again, just like I've been ganged up on in other threads & now many of you think you're better than me because I've had this horrendous idea now. None of us know about each other that well for that matter. I've just voiced my opinions here a lot that many people don't agree with.

20. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 8, 2011

I think checking out a book about boundaries would be a better option than a prank..thats so dumb...

21. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

So I just read this whole thread and am kind of amazed. First of all, this is not a prank. If you are going to do it then refer to it like it is, revenge. Ms. I you have always said that you value old fashioned values and such but then you are allowing this. Your boyfriend is an adult and should act like one. If he is done with his dad, then be done with it.

I was also raised with old fashioned values and I know that if my boyfriend would do this as "revenge" then he would be out of my life. My parents raised me better than that. This is just your boyfriend stooping down to his dad"s level

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 8, 2011

The question was asked and answered, I think that this topic has been covered completely. I don't believe that there is any doubt where anyone stands on this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.