Anyone Like Hello Kitty?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 5, 2011

Do you like Hello Kitty & what is it about her that you like?

I got 1 stuffed Hello Kitty doll as a gift when I was 7, I had a HK pencil box as a child, & I bought some small rhinestone earrings just last yr (which wasn't a necessity). Other than that, I don't have any other HK items. I never cared that much either way for HK, but I think she's a cute character. I know there's many grown ladies who like her.

There's a big rhinestone HK ring at my mall that I'm thinking of maybe getting. It's just fun & pretty.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2011

I teach third grade. Maybe one or two kids in my class might have a HK pencil case or ONE tee shirt. I don't wear, collect or follow cartoon characters.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 5, 2011

I have very few items with cartoon characters on them. I have a set of Rainbow Brite magnets someone gave me, and some Winnie-the-Pooh stuff. I have some stuffed animals from when I was in college and really into anime. I still enjoy watching it, but I've grown out of having any of the pieces. I've always thought shirts with cartoon characters on them were kindof tacky (not trying to offend those who love them, it's just not my style) so I don't have any of those. I think the story behind Hello Kitty is interesting, though. One of my students last year had a ton of Hello Kitty stuff and we were looking it up one day.

5. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jun 5, 2011

There used to be some other characters with Hello Kitty. When I was in elementary school, I loved them. My favorite was a frog. I can't remember the names of any of them, but there were several. My friends and I had pencil boxes with the characters on them that locked. We thought we were so cool in 2nd grade when we unlocked our pencil boxes with the little keys they came with! :)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2011

I liked HK when I was like six years old. Now that I'm a grown-up, I don't have much time for or interest in cartoons other than Family Guy (which is made for grown-ups).

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

I've never been interested in Hello Kitty, but I love cartoons. It is one of my greatest hopes that my husband and I never "get too old" to enjoy cartoons.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

Ms. I, QVC sells a few Hello Kitty items...even though I don't collect Hello Kitty (I have no idea where she even comes from...was she an actual cartoon?), they look cute.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

My mom was into Hello Kitty so I was raised to have quite a few hello kitty items. Then, my interest waned a bit when I was a teen and came back when I was in college. I still have a few of my HK things. Now that I'm 28, I tend to collect HK earrings and necklaces (but the really nice ones).

And I don't think there is anything wrong in being interested in cartoon characters! :) I also have quite a few Jiji items (cat from Kiki's Delivery Service). I still watch cartoons (most of them made for adults) and anime. :)

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 5, 2011

I liked her pencils etc when I was a kid.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2011

I had a mini colored pencil set when I was little, but I can't say I have bought anything since. A few years ago, I saw a HK store in the mall and was shocked it was still around.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

Shocked, eh? I got to go to a couple of hello kitty stores when I was in Japan. That was cool. :D

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2011

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

Yikes! $25,000 Hello Kitty necklace?!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 5, 2011

All the malls in my area have an actual HK store & 1 ALSO has a kiosk selling HK stuff.

Right. It's pretty...maybe if I was wealthy, I'd have 1 or 2 pcs.

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2011

Hello Kitty is so cute and adorable! I have some stationary, but that's about it. I know she was really, really popular in the mid 1980s.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

Some people really like Hello Kitty.

Though the link is just amazon.com, if you're very sensitive you might not want to follow it.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

3Sons, my friend had one and insisted it was just a regular massager for her back or head. I have no clue if she was playing dumb or not and never asked her again. :whistle::rolleyes:

I'll stick with the stationary and super cute and nice jewelry, thank you very much. :D

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2011

That is hilarious.

20. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jun 6, 2011

I don't know how I just saw this thread. I loooove Hello Kitty, though not enough to buy the item linked above. I have quite a few Hello Kitty items: stickers, stationary, ceramic banks, toys, etc. Walking into my apartment though you'd never know, most of my stuff is packed away.

In the past year or so I've stopped buying HK stuff for myself though some friends and family members will buy me an item occasionally.

Oh and the frog's name is Keroppi. The other popular characters are Badtz Maru, Chococat, My Melody, Pochaccho, and Cinnamonroll. I swear I'm not crazy!

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

Of course not!!! I have a hello kitty apron that I love. And some towels. There's nothing wrong in adding personality to a home. :)