Anyone Leave Cash in Your Car?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2013

I was reading a thread on another board where someone forget their wallet, but was low on gas & had to drive about 35 miles to get home from work & was asking if they'd make it if they had 2 bars showing on their gas gauge. Well, 2 bars, doesn't tell us much, but it got me thinking...how many of you hide a good amount of cash in your car for emergencies?

I never have, but it's probably not a bad idea. I've only kept change. By the way, posters were telling the person to try to borrow $ from someone at work. Others were saying the person would probably make it since there's a reserve amount of gas even when the gauge shows empty, which many of us know. The question is, was it enough to still make it home?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 5, 2013

If I would do that, I'd put it in a stashed area. I used to leave quarters in the slots by my steering wheel until someone smashed in my car window to get them.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2013

I never leave anything of value visible in my car, but that's sad that someone would do that just to get to a few lousy quarters!

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

I have CAA, (Canadian version of AAA) and in a pinch, would call them to get some gas. I would definitely not stash cash in my car. I've had my car broken into twice for spare change. Not going to happen!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2013

Those who break in, not knowing for sure if there's money in the car would have broken in anyway then, so that can happen to anyone & it wouldn't matter if one kept money in their car or not.

I know when I used to substitute, I just left my wallet in my car's glove compartment. I'd rather risk that than having my wallet in my purse for a kid to steal. If a kid had stolen my purse (believing there's going to be money), that kid would be mistaken, but at least I'd still have all my driver's license, cards, etc.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

I would NOT leave my wallet in my car! Even if it gets towed, there's a good chance it will be rifled through, and you won't have your wallet to pay to get your car back. I've seen it happen. Cars also do get broken into around here and around the schools where I work. I don't think it's wise at all. Better to lock it in a cabinet at work if you can.

I used to always keep emergency cash hidden in my car, but lately I haven't. I have AAA as well. I never let my gas get that low.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2013

Leave $100 in 20's hidden in your glove box so that when he opens the glove box, he sees it, and is so thrilled to have $100 that he skips prying out your stereo.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

Nope.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 5, 2013

I keep a few dollars in the console, but that's it. My purse is always with me. I've never forgotten my wallet in my life, so I'm not worried.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 5, 2013

A few dollars in change are in one of the consoles. Definitely wouldn't leave my wallet in there.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2013

Keeping a twenty in the car manual folder-thingy inside the glove compartment isn't a bad idea...

13. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 5, 2013

I leave my wallet in the car most of the time. I also have cash in the middle console.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

I keep an eye on my gas gauge, so I wouldn't be driving long distances on empty praying to make it home. :rolleyes:I also have a gas speed pass in my glove box and plenty of cash on me at most times. I also have AAA.

15. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

I have a folded $20 behind my license in my wallet for such emergencies (need gas, a cab, etc.) Also, for my own car (and any in which I travel) I have AAA which is supposed to allow for a delivery of a few gallons of gasoline.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

Once I hit about a quarter of a tank I'm filling back up. I'm calling hubby if I have any issues so it's not something I'm too worried about.

I worry more about not having access to my cell phone & not being able to call hubby because I don't know his cell!

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

Hehe you may want to memorize his cell #! Never know when you might need it at a friend's home (or with their cell, etc.)

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2013

I've never run out of gas, but I was driving on zero bars last week. I so rarely have to get gas that it somehow makes me put if off even more...

19. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

I'm really bad about leaving my purse in its entirety in my car. I lock it of course. But since my purse looks like a diaper bag, I'm not too worried about it... and they'd have to shuffle through mounds of diapers, wipes, baby clothes, etc. that I keep stored in there for emergencies...

20. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 5, 2013

I can't imagine leaving cash in my car besides random change.

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 5, 2013

I have about $2 in change (out of view) in my car. I rarely leave my wallet in my car and if I did, I leave it in the trunk. I had my car broken into once and they didn't take anything but left me with a hefty bill to get the lock fixed. :mad:

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2013

I used to leave like $10 -20 in the car for the what if...

23. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 6, 2013

My car is like my second home. I have 2 outfits, some snacks, some drinks, a blanket, a hoodie, an extra pair of shoes, a brush in there along with...... my backpack which usually doesn't come out (i grab the book i need), my wallet, .... heck there are even times when I pull into my garage at home that i just grab my phone and get out of the car leaving the keys on my seat. I will occasionally bring my wallet inside but not usually. I don't usually need it for anything in the house

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 6, 2013

Yes, but if I keep extra cash in there, then it's taken when they break in, and I'm out $100... I fail to see the logic here.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

I only keep loose change in a little area by the steering wheel.

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2013

I live in another time and era. I leave my keys and wallet in the truck at night knowing they are always there when I get in the next morning. It is parked right on the St in front of my house. The local crack head looked in my glove compartment one niight for drugs and we chased her down the road. She did some jail time and now is home looking much healthier. In fact her little girl had a sleep over with mine a few months back.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2013

I try to keep $5-10 in the console. I've left my debit card in a pocket at home. Within the last few months this happened, and I didn't have money in the console. I bought like $1.35 in gas so I could get home! I was so embarrassed!!

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 6, 2013

I keep change in the console. I recently bought a gallon of gas in dimes and nickels.

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 6, 2013

I keep some quarters in the car in case I ever have to feed a meter.

Incidentally, I once left my wallet in full view on the front seat while I was at work. It was there at least 9 hours without me even realizing that it wasn't in my purse. It was in a semi high traffic area. Nothing happened. Maybe I just got lucky, but it restored my faith in humanity a little bit. ;)

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2013

Not in this big city...

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2013

The only numbers I have memorized are:

1. My parents home phone
    2. My parents call phone
    3. My husband's work number.

I've tried to memorize it, but those last 4 numbers get me.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2013

Yes, I do. Right now I have a $20 in my console. I typically have a few dollars for parking downtown.

33. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 7, 2013

Me too! Everyone makes fun of me but I'll never run out of gas.

I teach at a small country school and a lot of the kids just leave their keys in their cars/trucks during the school day.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 7, 2013

I used to keep a few bucks tucked into that little manual that comes with your car (usually in the glove box).
    The guy who fixed my car a few months ago said I should fill my tank when it's half empty. This avoids rusting of the gas tank supposedly (I had a small hole forming near the top of the tank apparently). I don't know if this is true but at least I won't be running out of gas if I keep doing this!