Anyone know of a book to teach patterns

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by moran8198, Sep 17, 2006.

1. moran8198

moran8198 Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

I'm doing a first grade lesson on teaching patterns. Does anyone know of a good book I can use for my introduction?

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

I haven't come across a book yet, but I was wondering what type of patterns you're looking for?

There are the interlocking cubes for K-1st learning color pattern and repeating. I did this testing the kindergartner's counting ability as well as repeating what the pattern I had made.

Then there are the tessilating patterns for using in math and art. Each student comes up with a pattern using 1 shape such as a sqaure, rectangle, triangle, or circle. It's really fun to see how the minds work with these.

I've worked the cubes with kindergartners and the tessilating patterns for 3rd-5th graders. If you precut the shapes and then have the kids cut their own shape our of the square, rectangle, etc, then trace in a tessilating form I think that would be one way of showing patterns for 1st graders.

I know it's books you need...but hope these ideas at least help a little. Best wishes!

4. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Sep 18, 2006

Dear applecore,

Have you tried photocopying the borders from your own computer clip art? You can create many varied and colored design patterns, even incorporating flips, turns and slides. You can design the size of the images, how many in a pattern, the response box, and directions for completing the page. I have also purchased a package of transparency film form Staples (or other office supply place,) and make a transparency for the overhead projector so that the students see the pattern and hear the questions I ask to demonstrate the thinking process in volved in the deductive reasoning.
    Good Luck, maxine

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I also teach Grade 1 and have started our unit on patterning/sorting.

I don't use a specific book but have done the following activites:

1. Introduce sorting first. Have kids sit in a circle on the carpet and sort something together (cubes, bears, buttons, bottle caps etc.) whatever you have will work. Talk about different sorting rules (colour, size, shape etc.). In a follow up lesson, give each student a pile of things to sort. Have them sort the items and then draw a picture to show their sort in their math journals.

2. Sort your kids. For example, ask all of the kids wearing jeans to stand up. See if they can figure out your sorting rule. Do a few different kid sorts each day and then invite the kids to come up with their own.

3. Use calendar to practice patterning. For example, you can use leaves and pumpkins in alternating patterns for Sept 1, 2, 3, etc.

4. Have kids practice sorting different objects with a partner. Invite them to share their sort with the class explaining their sorting rule.

5. Review patterning with the class. I began with a simple AB pattern and invited the class to help me make AB patterns with different objects.

6. If you have the lick and stick stickers, give each kid 7 stickers (2 different colours, shapes or sizes) and have them make a pattern in their math journal. You can assess one to one.

7. Give each table group a piece of chart paper. Have them work as a group to create their own pattern. I give each one of my kids a different coloured marker that only they are allowed to use so I know what they contributed to the chart paper. Invite them to share one of their patterns with the class.

I always ask my kids to tell me what kind of pattern they have made. If they say AB, I ask them if they can tell me what their pattern is another way. If they say orange, red, orange, red, I prompt them further until they can tell me the attribute they used is colour.

Just some ideas to get you started.

Good luck!

6. Jame

Jame Comrade

Sep 19, 2006

7. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

Books like "There was an old lady" and " if you give a ___ a ____" are great pattern books.