Anyone know how to make oversized art-related props? (paint can, paint brush, paint tube, etc.)

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Stuart R, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Stuart R

Stuart R New Member

Mar 16, 2018

Hi everyone -

We have an event coming up where art-themed decor would be great. I'm thinking of hanging giant, oversized art-related props in the air, like giant paint cans or paint tubes with fabric "paint" pouring out of them, or a giant paint brushes resting against a giant palette, or even some really big crayons, pencils, pink erasers, etc. If you've made this kind of thing successfully, I'd appreciate some pointers. Many thanks!

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 16, 2018

How big is giant? The easiest way to go about it is to think about the basic shapes for each item. In your case, that's a lot of tube/modified tube shapes. If you want a more modern (square) paint can, the plastic jumbo tubs that bulk animal crackers, cheese balls, pretzels etc. are packaged in would work. Otherwise, spray paint a dollar store bucket. Paint tubes could be done with 2-liter bottles and tin foil. The pink eraser is a rectangular box with two triangles. Wrapping paper tubes become colored pencils. I think they make large inflatable pencils and crayons.

4. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 19, 2018

Depend on the scale you are trying to exaggerate. If you choose a bucket as a paint can, keep the scale consistent. Perhaps search some Claes Oldenburg lessons for materials examples. I have used chicken wire and paper mache to make large objects. Not too heavy.

5. DValentine

DValentine New Member

Apr 1, 2018

Hey Stuart,

You can get a broom and spray the bristles black and get a giant paintbrush. Trash bins also come in multiple shapes and sizes to re-purpose as paint cans. Pencils can be made from yellow and pink pool noodles which can also be found in multiple sizes you could even wrap some in butcher paper and make labels for crayons.