Anyone know a lot about working out? Pouch!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, May 23, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 23, 2011

I have noticed that I am starting to get a little pouch in place of my stomach. I KNOW I need to cut back on sweets and I do not exercise. This summer I have made it a goal to try to work out more. But I do not know where to start. I can not afford a personal trainer so that will not work.

I would like to get rid of this pouch. What type of cardio exercises or anything would you recommend?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

There are soooo many good answers available. :)

Walking, jogging, running, jump-roping...lots of every easy and low-cost or free opportunities. Cardio really is your friend in regards to the pouch. Of course, your core needs to be engaged just not for your particular concern, but in general. Especially as we age, we need to ensure we are keeping a toned core to support the rest of our bodies.

Do you like programs? Videos as such?

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 23, 2011

Yes. I would do a video. I have a couple Billy Blanks tapes and walking tapes.
    I also have a gym where I live that I can use.

How could I get started? Treadmill for 1hour and then what?

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 23, 2011

I'm currently doing the couch to 5K program... I started this after I did the 30 Day Shred video from Jillian Michaels. The thing that I love most about both of these is that the workouts are 30 minutes long so I'm not spending my entire day working out. The C25K program will get longer but by then I'll be out of school!!!! YEY!
    I've been a member of www.sparkpeople.com for YEARS and they have tons of ideas for workouts and also nutrition help.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

You said you don't currently exercise, so an hour may be a little much. But you know your abilities and limits better than I do. :)

I prefer intervals on the treadmill. This would consist of an effortless warmup of just a few minutes, then going back and forth between a brisk walk and a good jog/run. To begin, you may do a three minute walk and a one minute jog. As you progress, not only can your jog become longer, but faster. You could also increase and decrease the incline. Many treadmills have this sort of routine programmed so you don't have adjust manually...you just handle what it dishes out. :p Those are just example times...you'd have to give it a try and see what would work. You might do this for twenty minutes, then increase your time. Again, you could use a treadmill program, an iPod app such as C25K, or something else.

I also like circuit training. In my basement I have a treadmill, bike, punching bag, Smith machine, various free weights, jump-rope, and I also bring my upstairs equipment downstairs sometimes as well which consists of two exercise balls, an ab roller, and The Wave step/balance board. And a coupe other little odds and ends. I make a little circuit using these things. It keeps me from becomming bored.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

Exercise ball...... plus walking, jogging or whatever.

When I go to the gym to lift weights I carry an exercise ball around with me. Between every exercise "set" ....... arm curls, leg curls, bench presses, etc.. whatever ... I do 75 to 100 "crunchies" with the exercise ball.......

This can add up to thousands (and really more than that) of "sit ups" a week....... Just my thoughts..... Good luck......... Major.....:)

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

I agree with JustMe....if you are really not exercising at all, an hour is a lot. I would do 30 minutes three times a week to start(I like to watch wheel of fortune while treadmill-its over in no time, I bump up the speed on commercials and leave it at a job for the show!) ..I bet you will see a difference immediately.

You should also do some sort of strength training once a week....you can get exercise ideas off of youtube

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2011

Also try bodybuilder.com. A trainer at my gym showed me this website today. It's got exercises to try, nutrition plans, etc.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Major, do you have abs of steel?

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 23, 2011

:lol::lol: I wish, Peachness ...... but I've never had a "pouch" ... and my waist line is quite small for a 225 lbs teddy bear ...... :p

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Start small and get used to the routine. Unless you're just walking on the treadmill (and maybe even then) an hour is probably a bit much if you're not doing anything now. When I first started working out, I made it a priority to get into the habit/make it a routine rather than starting off with really hard workouts. I started with only 30 minutes 4 days a week, than gradually added more time and more days. I've seen way too many friends go in with these killer workouts, then they are so sore they don't want to do anything for the next 3 days...or they'll do a ton at once but only go to the gym sporadically. Stick with something small and manageable that you have no excuse to skip- like for me it's really hard to justify an excuse that says you can't spend 30 minutes excercising.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Well, I have a pouch and have been working on trying to get abs of steel. :p Any secrets?

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 24, 2011

You should get into some type of athletic club or organization, especially if motivation is hard to come by. Join a running club, a rowing club, some sort of thing that will motivate you to show up and do it. If it's an open-ended (and boring) thing like just working out, you're less likely to stick with it.

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

Summer is a great time for teachers to start a program.
    Now that is too hot I go into my garage at 5am and do my
    stair master for 30 minutes. Its 90+ in there after work so
    I have to do it early. Go to a gym if you can, I went for
    13 years before I moved to the boondocks. Make it a habit
    and it is easy and you will look forward to it. Drink more water
    if you can,
    Major, you must be 6'5" then.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 24, 2011

Actually, I have noticeced my pouch slowly disappearing. I'm super skinny, but have some "baby fat" here and there.

I've been working out since Janurary. I'm FINALLY noticing good changes. What I've been doing:
    1) running
    2) walking
    3) hiking
    4) playing sports like tennis and frisbee
    5) strength training with weights
    6) yoga
    7) wii gold gym cardio- boxing
    8) Shape videos
    9) this one boxing video that I love on Netflix
    10) this one abs workout on Hulu that I love!
    I do an average of 1 hour everyday, sometimes I skip a day if I do two or more hours the previous day.

I am looking for a gym where I can take up boxing. Yes, this little skinny girl wants to get into boxing. :D

17. smalltowngal

May 24, 2011

Peachy~I would love to do a kickboxing class that a local boxing gym puts on, but I just love the classes as the Y. I have noticed some major changes in myself. Not so much on the scale but in the way I look. I'm down to the last little bit and I know how hard it is to get that last little bit down.

Here's what I'm doing:
    MWRF~10 min warm up (elliptical, bike, treadmill)
    ~ lift weights (different muscle groups for each day)
    ~ 30 min cardio
    Tue~10 min warm up
    ~lift weights
    ~TurboKick class (1 hr)

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 24, 2011

My husband keeps saying to get into kickboxing. I just want to get into the regular ole' boxing. I don't know why. :D

19. smalltowngal

May 24, 2011

So you can beat him up. :)

And because boxing really is a full body workout.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 24, 2011

Hahaha, I wouldn't do that!!! :D It is a serious workout though. This one video I do has me drenched in sweat by the time I'm done.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 24, 2011

I used to be in really good shape, and I walked. I started out with a slow mile, and I eventually worked my way up to 7 miles, 5 days a week. I walked from my house through town and until I ran out of sidewalk in the next town. It was 7 miles round trip.

For awhile I took aerobics/weight training classes two days a week. I didn't walk on those days. The classes were offered at a local school, and they cost $2 a lesson. I was able to get muscle definition from that.

Some of my friends have DVD's that we use sometimes. We don't have much luck getting together regularly, though.

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

I'm slightly under 6' 5", stephen..... Now I guess I have to go measure....:p

23. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 24, 2011

You are doing a lot, Peachy...... Fantastic......:thumb:

You might try kick boxing cardio classes.. and they are a real workout. Leg Raises are very good for the tummy...... Check this site....

http://www.better-exercise-fitness-for-life.com/leg-raises.html

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 25, 2011

I have the next month to lose as much as I can, then an additional month after that to lose even more because I may be going to my BF's twin bro's wedding at the end of July & I want to look fantastic! Plus, I plan to go to Paris & the Summer Olympics in London next summer & I want to look drop-dead fantastic.

I guess I'll be "living" in the gym all summer & thereafter. I have the recipes for something called the 3-Day Diet, which says you can lose up to 10 pouds in a week. PM me if you want this.

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 25, 2011

I'm down 45 pounds since the start of January. I've lost the weight gradually, healthily, and in a sustainable way. I've lost a pound or two a week mostly, though it did come off faster at the beginning. I wasn't following any diet, but I did have a calorie counter app for my phone.

Now, I'm 4-7 pounds from my goal weight and mostly just focused on toning certain areas. I mostly have been walking, running, and doing the Zumba and Just Dance games for exercise. I also have some small weights and do tons of reps with them, and do crunches everyday. I think the only way I'm going to lose these last few pounds is to amp up my workout, so I'm going to dig some of my old workout DVDs out of storage. I have a bellydance one that I like a lot, as well as Carmen Electra's workout series, which both my husband and I enjoy very much...

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 25, 2011

I need to come up with a start date and I REALLY need to change my diet. Its so hard to start.

27. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

Start first thing in the morning ...... I'm in your corner...... You can do it....... Major........:hugs:

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

"Yesterday you said tomorrow." Love this.

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

Love that too.......

30. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 25, 2011

Losing weight involves different lifestyle changes including exercise, drinking enough water (8 glasses a day), eating the right foods (I've always been a slender person and I like salads with some cheese and meat for protein added, yogurts, chicken, fish, and I eat until I feel full so portion sizes are important)
    Also they say eat like a King for breakfast, a Prince for lunch, and a Pauper for dinner. I don't personally follow that but I do eat a snack in between meals so I'm not starving which could lead to overeating.

Getting a good amount of sleep you need also helps so much because stress causes people to gain weight due to cortisol levels. I watch Dr. Oz when I can. =)

So, workout doing things you think are fun, listen to music, and just think that each day adds up to results if you're doing the right things! I hope that helps.

31. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 25, 2011

My huge problems

-I do not eat breakfast
    -Sometimes I skip lunch
    -I snack at school but not too much
    -At dinner I pig out because I'm starving.

I figured it would help me lose weight since I was not eating a lot all day. I'm pretty skinny I just have this stomach I need to lose and I'm getting some back fat. Nothing noticeable when I am wearing clothes(I think) but out of them..oh my!

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I have difficulty eating breakfast...I just don't stomach it well. I was raised that supper was for throwing down each evening and that has stuck with me. I certainly eat throughout the day as well, but supper is my main meal. It's really not a problem.

33. smalltowngal

May 25, 2011

VA-the skipping meals is the probably why your body is holding onto that pooch. When we dont eat enough calories, our body holds onto fat because it thinks we're starving. So in order to lose it, you have to eat. The norm is between 4-5 small meals throughout the day.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

I'm in the skipping breakfast boat w/ you guys & I don't really eat lunch either, so when I get home from work, I eat more than I should & even though I eat like 1 meal a day, it's too much food at a time.

I need to return to doing my 3-day diet that I know about. They say you can lost up to 10 lbs in 1 week. I've tried it & it's not too bad...it's bearable. I lost 7-8 lbs in a week before.

35. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 26, 2011

I'm always wary of diets like that because the weight doesn't stay off. It's not sustainable. I've really been working on spreading my food out more during the day and switching what kinds of things I eat when. It seems to be working so far.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

MissCeliaB, yes, it's considered a fad diet, but it still works if you want to lose weight super fast, like for a special occasion, etc. (like I have coming up!) These are real foods from any grocer's eaten in a combination that really helps a person lose.

To maintain the weight after the person's lost the amt they want, the person would just continue to eat lightly, but it doesn't have to be the exact same foods as for the diet.

37. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 26, 2011

Can you guys help me come up with sample meals and snacks?

So I need to eat:

A light breakfast

Snack

Light Lunch

Snack

Snack

Dinner

Snack

Is this how it works?

I do not know of breakfast foods that are not fatty except for fruits. Bagels, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches are all fatty.
    Lunch a salad or turkey sandwich with chips(small in portion)

Snacks-popcorn on stove, pretzels, fruit

I guess this is another thing. Its hard for me to come up with meals.

38. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Here's what I eat. I'm not saying it's ideal, or that it will work for everyone, but it works for me:

Breakfast: Cereal with skim milk, Iced tall skinny vanilla latte or bottled coffee drink

Snack: yogurt

Lunch: Lean Cuisine of some sort or salad or sushi, fruit

Snack: Special K bar

Snack: String cheese

Dinner: Almost always fast food. I have a meal at each major fast food place that I like. Sometimes I'll have a baked potato at home.

Dessert: Skinny Cow mini fudge pop or some other low calorie dessert

It all totals about 1200 calories a day, and I walk at least 30 minutes a day, sometimes more. I've lost over 40 pounds in about 6 months, and my blood pressure and other health indicators are normal. Most importantly, I can see myself eating like this the rest of my life, especially after I switch to a maintenance plan that will give me a few more calories. Then I can have some of the breakfast foods I miss on occasion, and small portions of dessert. I know other people will have ideas for recipes, but I don't cook and my husband and I are perfectly happy that way.

39. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 26, 2011

My favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs with peach/pineapple salsa. Easy peasy-just scramble and dump the salsa on it and mix-yum!

Here are some snack ideas I found this week in an e-mail:
    pita and humas/red pepper
    English muffin/almond butter/pear
    Post-workout: Combine 1 cup low-fat milk, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, and 1/4 cup frozen pineapple in a blender; puree until smooth. (140 calories

My favorite lunch is chicken salad on top of butter popcorn rice cakes with a grape for each bite. Soooo good! Creamy, sweet AND salty!

Here are really good dinner ideas I'm looking forward to trying this week: http://aftermathblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/paleo-staying-on-the-wagon/

40. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 26, 2011

MissCeliaB I could eat all of the foods you listed. Is there a certain type of cereal you eat?

Also I wonder if instead of string cheese I could have skim jims or beef jerky.

Jem- for the post workout drink what else could I use besides pineapple? I don't like them.

41. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 26, 2011

I don't see why you couldn't. I am on a reduced sodium diet, so I do the string cheese instead. Because of the heart-healthy diet thing, I eat Warm Cinnamon Kashi cereal. I also like Cheerios and Special K.