Anyone invest in the Cricut?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SweetHomeAlabam, Jun 9, 2009.

1. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Jun 9, 2009

is it worth it. I am thinking I want to use it for home and school. Which model did you get.
    If you have a different type of die cutter and want to leave feedback, please do!

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 9, 2009

I did buy a Cricut online (just the personal one, not the Expression), and I like it so far. I haven't used it much yet, but I think I'll be using it a lot to set up bulletin boards and such next year. I don't think there's really a reason to get a more expensive one... the cheaper one cuts up to 5.5" (I think), which is plenty big for bulletin board letters, plus it does borders for scrapbooking to 12".

Check ebay - I got mine for $100, not the $200 charged in store.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 10, 2009

I have one, the first version. When I bought it the Expression wasn't out yet. It's a great little machine. If you buy one you'll definitely come up with lots of reasons and ways to use it. I also have a Sizzix with a variety of dies. I do like that it cuts thicker paper without much of a problem. But it's much more limiting than a Cricut. I'd go for the Cricut if you plan to get something.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 10, 2009

Oh, and if you do get one - wait for a sale and also only buy cartridges on sale. If you're patient you can get them during a 50% off sale assuming you have either a Michael's or AC Moore where you live. AC Moore also has a free rewards card where I think you get a $10 gift card for each $100 spent.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

I use it for scrapbooking, but not all that often for school.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 10, 2009

I have the first version. If you are planning on using it for lettering on bulletin boards I would by the second version as the lettering is larger. I use my friend's Expression (2nd version) more than I use my own.

8. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jun 10, 2009

I soo want one! One of the mom's in my room had one this year and used it to make her son's Indian costume for the T-giving play. She just used a brown fringed shirt and pants and sticky back cutouts of Native American designs from the Cricut.

She also made me an adorable card for Easter!

9. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

I just got the Cricut Expression for my birthday.
    You have to definitely have to get the big one if you want to use it for bulletin boards and stuff. I also recommend getting the design studio software so that you play with it on your computer. If you do get one please buy your cartridges on Ebay. You can get most fonts for about 30 dollars. :D

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2009

I have the smaller Cricut, which I also got from eBay brand new for much less than sold in stores. I don't see a NEED to get the larger one for bulletin boards, but it would be more efficient. I am not impressed with the Cricut. Even with a new blade and the appropriate settings, I do not get crisp enough cuts. I am rather picky, to be fair. Whenever I have *time* I'll explore its uses more, as I haven't worked with vinyl and other surfaces which I think will work well.