Anyone into geocaching?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by moonbeamsinajar, Nov 3, 2014.

1. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Nov 3, 2014

I was thinking about purchasing some geocaching equipment for my grandson for Christmas. He really loves the outdoors and hiking and also enjoys anything like a treasure hunt. Unfortunately, I have no idea what would be the best to start out with. Any advice?

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 3, 2014

I have a basic Garmin eTrex Venture HC, and that works well enough for me. eTrex models start around $100.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

Geocaching is so much fun! You can buy starter kits online.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

Geocaching is incredibly fun. I had to stop doing it a few years ago though when my health was a bit poor (I spent an entire summer in and out of doctor's offices and hospitals), but it is a great activity. It's very fun to place your own cache too.

Definitely get a Garmin eTrex - they're the best. I very much prefer using a dedicated GPS unit over a smartphone GPS. Just seems more genuine.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2014

My husband is a geologist (hence the nickname Rockhubby) and has picked up on this activity. On our summer camping trip, we based many of our stops on geocache spots. It was amazing! We wound up off the beaten paths several times and saw things we wouldn't have seen otherwise. My suggestion is to grab a simple compass as well as a GPS in order to better triangulate the position. Also, have someone who is good with word clues. That was my job, and I found a lot of the caches more quickly than he did with equipment alone.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 4, 2014

I've only done it one time (well another time I was unsuccessful) but it was a lot of fun. I don't think I'll do it too much in the future because the app I have seems to use a lot of data on my phone. If I can find another way to do it I will try it again.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

GPS on phones will work ok, it will get you within 10 ft or so, but if you are looking for something incredibly small, a 10 ft radius is quite a bit of searching. If the cache has a good clue it will help, but if not, a dedicated GPS is the way to go. If you want to hide your own cache, a GPS is necessary!

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 4, 2014

Also doesn't help if the cache is in the wilderness like most of the best ones are. No wifi there, but you can download the geotag sometimes.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2014

My husband and I have been geocachers for more than ten years. It has been a wonderful experience. I don't think we will ever give it up. When we get too old to drive, we will take a bus and do virtual caches!

11. Harper

Harper Companion

Nov 4, 2014

Can it be a kid friendly activity? How do you find the caches? Groups? Websites? Sounds perfect for my kids who need NOTHING for Christmas!

12. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 5, 2014

It is definitely a kid friendly activity. You input the coordinates into your GPS unit (they run around $100 for a basic dedicated handheld GPS that is very rugged) and go to the location. Caches are never buried and you need to be good with solving word clues (some are simpler than others).

There are a bunch of Geocaching regional/local groups - just check the geocaching forums.

The official site for geocaching (and where the majority of geocaches are registered) is https://www.geocaching.com/

You can find their US subforums here - http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?&showforum=50

Click on a state for events and things like that. You can view all of the topics about a region by making an account and clicking on the region in question.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 5, 2014

My kids LOVE geocaching! It's like a global scavenger hunt. We discovered there was a cache hidden about 200 yards from our house, out in the middle of nowhere! It's on an old iron bridge, and it took us forever to find. There are several just down the road too-who knew!

We've learned a lot about the countryside, found some really cool things, and had a lot of fun family time doing it!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 5, 2014

I looked online and there are a bunch in a park near my house. I just have to get my husband to go with me because I know he'd be better at finding things like that. The first one I found was also in a park but the clue stumped me at first until figured out what they meant.

15. Harper

Harper Companion

Nov 5, 2014

Thanks, everyone. I will look into it. Sounds like my kids would love it!