Anyone interviewed in the district they went to school in?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Mar 6, 2015

I was always against working where I went to school. I wanted to be somewhere new with new people.

With the thousands of unnoticed applications, unhappiness with subbing in districts where I thought I would love,little to no money in the bank, I got a random call from the district where I attended school over a decade again.

They said that the viewed my information online and asked if I was interested in a first round interview for next school year. This was a voicemail. I thought about it for a few minutes before calling back. I ended up calling and scheduling an interview. This district isn't known to be a top district, but it's a district where my teaching experience and skills would do well in.

Has anyone ever interviewed in the district where they are from? What are your thoughts? I personally don't know the people that I am interviewing with but I know a few people that work in the district (I don't talk to them on a daily basis but if I see them in public, I will talk to them). Are chances better for me with getting a full-time job? The person who called me said they were only interviewing about 7 or 8 for the first round (I was shocked). Last month, the job I almost got in another district, the first round consisted of 30 people.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 6, 2015

I work in the district I attended as a student.

At first, it was strange because I was interviewing for and working with people who had, for the most part, my teachers and schoolmates. That makes it weird because they not only base their decision on your interview, but the things that they already know about you . . . whether good, bad, or ugly.

I'm 22 years into my career, and I'm still in the same district.

4. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Mar 6, 2015

I teach in the district that I attended as a student. It's a very large district, so interviewing was not unlike any other job. I have worked with some of my previous teachers which was for me a great learning experiences.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 6, 2015

I grew up in a small town and interviewed in the district I went to school in right out of college. They pretty much exclusively hire grads of their school system (I think this is partly due to it being a small area and they think people from the area are more likely to stay around long term). I did not get the job. I thought I had a great shot because they needed someone qualified in sped and elementary ed, and I'd heard about the position early from a friend's mom who worked in the district. I walked my resume in and got an interview. The job was never officially posted- I later found out from my friend's mom that they got almost 50 applicants who were dual certified- from a job that was never officially posted! All of those applicants were told about the job from someone they knew, like I was. They ended up hiring a teacher who had been RIF'd from another building in the district. I guess that's how small towns work!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 6, 2015

I interviewed with a principal new to the community and I revoked my application after the interview. The man called me babe so I refused to be considered for a job in the district. I've had other administrators get my number from my family and call me asking me to reconsider the district. Nope. Not going to happen.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2015

I teach in the district where I went to school, but on the other side of the district so I don't see any familiar faces. I don't have any issues with it.

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Mar 7, 2015

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm started to get excited about my first round interview....and it's funny because I would never in a million years thought I would be excited to interview where I went to school. Fingers crossed I do well!

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 7, 2015

I work in the district I went to school in. My principal was one of my teachers in high school. The hardest thing was learning to call former teachers, now colleagues, by their first names :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2015

I taught summer school in my home district and was in process of potential hire when another district offered me a job at significantly higher pay. The home district P told me to take the $ and run. :DMy current district is higher performing, better pd opportunities than my home district so it's all good.

11. pineapplecake

pineapplecake Rookie

Mar 10, 2015

It is very common in the district I teach for alum to come back and work. I think being an alumnus even gives you a leg up!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2015

I guess I would never consider a job in the district I grew up in. When I graduated I left town and never went back (43 years ago). I didn't leave because of the district, I left because of the weather...toooooo COLD!!!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 10, 2015

I taught in the same parish that I went to,school in. I worked with several teacher who had taught me. Some were fun, some were just how I rememb them, and some were strange to teach with. For most I never got past calling them Mrs. X. They kept telling me to call them by their first name, but..,they were Mrs. X. Lol

14. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 12, 2015

I teach in the same elementary school I attended. There are quite a few (but not a lot) of my former teachers that are still here. It actually has made my first year a bit easier, I think. I had several people I knew well and who were very willing to help me out while I was learning the ropes this year. I loved my school as a student, so now there's something pleasantly nostalgic about being back.

The principal who was there when I was a student is still there now- I think that may have been at least a little bit of a leg up! It hasn't been weird at all.