Anyone in Virginia public pre-k programs?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by PatriotsFan3, Jan 4, 2014.

1. PatriotsFan3

PatriotsFan3 New Member

Jan 4, 2014

Hi, I'm new to this site so I apologize if this isn't the best board for my post.

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Virginia from North Carolina. We are looking mainly at Charlottesville or Virginia Beach. I will be looking for a public pre-k position. I was just wondering if anyone taught pre-k in either of these areas and could tell me a bit about the program. In NC, our program is state-wide, but I taught in Northern VA for a year and I know the programs are county-run and can be very different.

Any information would be welcome! Thanks in advance! :)

3. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jan 5, 2014

I don't teach in VA ,but in DC. I heard it depends on county, and most are Head Start programs. I would look at those counties and see what their PreK programs look like.

4. PatriotsFan3

PatriotsFan3 New Member

Jan 22, 2014

Well, I've researched the programs and their curriculum online, but I guess I was hoping to find someone who could tell me what the program is really like (details and things you won't find on the website).

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 22, 2014

I don't know anything about the specific programs, but I do live in the VA Beach area and can tell you that it is a very difficult district to get into. It's the district with the most money and fewer behavioral issues, so most teachers in the area want to end up there. The nice thing about VA Beach, though, is that it's part of Hampton Roads (7 cities that are very close together). Depending on where in VA Beach you lived, you'd be within 45 minutes of at least 6 different public school districts. I work in a nearby district and love it. The overall area is a great place to live!

6. PatriotsFan3

PatriotsFan3 New Member

Feb 6, 2014

Thanks for that information! I previously worked for a very rich county in VA, but the public pre-k program only served at-risk and low income children, so it was mostly Hispanic children in need of early intervention and ESL. I would guess it would be similar in other areas. I guess there is also the possibility that in a very rich area, they may not have the need for public pre-k. Thanks again for the info!