Anyone in Tri-State?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chosen teacher, Mar 5, 2008.

1. chosen teacher

chosen teacher Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

I've been teaching K in CA for 2 years. This summer I'm moving back to Eastcoast due to family situation. If you teach in Tri-State (NY, NJ and CT), can you offer an advice or tip how job market is? Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2008

I'm not sure about NY or CT, but a lot of teachers on this board have said that NJ is a really tough market to get into. Good luck!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 6, 2008

I live in NJ--- public schools are sorta difficult to get into since we have alot of teachers here--- depends on what subject too, science and math are always needed. But it also helps if you have the right connections and get recommendations from those who already teach in the area.

I'm trying to find a job in the private school sector first, get the experience and my Masters, and then see I want to try going to a public district.

NY could be the same way--- Long Island is difficult to get on to, Staten Island in spots is hard, NYC would take you in a heart beat though, but good luck surviving that.

5. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

I live in NY about an hour from NYC. I graduated in May 07 with my Masters in Elementary Education. From I want to say Dec. 06up until now I have sent out at least 15 applications/resumes and did not get one call. It's hard. I think BioAngel is right you have to know someone and I don't know anyone. Good Luck!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2008

I live in the burbs of NY. Jobs are not available. subbing however is .

Anyway.... most of my friends who are secondary have an easier time landing a job.

the best advice I can give you is to continuosly send resumes. 15 is hardly enough.... at least where I am. Don't give up. I graduated in '94 and I'm still looking.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 7, 2008

You need to send out at least 80 to 100 to get a couple of interviews. I usually do 120 to 150 starting in Feb ending in July.

8. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

WOW! Do you just send to every school? Even if they aren't hiring? I just always thought why send it to a school if they are not hiring wouldn't they just put it aside and not look at it? I don't even think there are 150 schools that I could send to in my area....thats nuts! HAHA.

I guess I'll start sending more out.

9. chosen teacher

chosen teacher Rookie

Mar 9, 2008

How's job market in CT?

This summer I may be moving back to East Coast, where I grew up, after 7 years in CA. Everyone says getting a job in NY or NJ is next to impossible. Anyone working in CT who can give me some insight on jobs in this state? Thanks!

10. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

NY teacher here...

Specialty teachers are NEEDED: Arts, MAths, Music, Science.

Pay is good esp. if you come with more than one degrees.

Jobs are available in the city which pays more than the suburbs.

One thing is NY State unlike other states in the tri-state region has their own set of rules and laws. Get familiar to stay ahead of the game.

The students can be 'different' lets say rude and disrespectful but dont let that discourage you....

Find out the good schools and try to stay away from the low rated schools if you wnat to have a smooth sale, if not accept the challenge and enjoy teaching.

PS. to those who send in resumes.... have you actually VISITED the board of ed in Manhattan they have tons of job postings. Trust me I see so many opportunities I want to cry.

pss. you will need a MA to teach in NY state....State requires you to get your MA (dont have to be subject related) within the first 5 yrs of having your BA. Plus you must be certified.

Good luck yall.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

Please also note that alot of districts also require you to apply online.

Each distict may also have their own website and you can apply there too.

NYC pay has gotten much better. However, the suburbs does pay better.

12. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Mar 10, 2008

The job market in NJ is very competitive. I just finished graduate school and was lucky enough to land a permanent building sub position at the school I student taught at. From what I've heard, those jobs are even hard to come by. I'm just starting the job search, but it's already stressful because there are so many applicants for every position. I went to a job fair and it's was very disheartening to see so many people without jobs. I talked to a few that have been searching for at least 1-2 years, if not longer. Granted, there might be a reason why they haven't found a job for so long. But, I've heard that a year is the average wait to find a teaching job here.

Also, I've noticed that the people who said they haven't received any calls for interviews aren't sending out enough applications/resumes/cover letters and not following up with another cover letter (when there is a posting). Sending out 15 just isn't enough. I plan on applying to districts that are up to an hour away.

13. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

I live in NJ and found a job teaching K at a Goddard school after college (I graduated in '06) but was making NO money. If your not familiar with them they are an infant-K nursery school. However, I have since left that job and am subbing. The first year after graduating I took the K position only after sending out what seemed to be hundreds of resumes and going on a handful of interviews. The second year I didn't send out as many and only got 3 interviews or so and decided to start subbing. I pretty much applied to every district that said they were looking in NJ. It can be pretty competitive here, you really have to be willing to work your way in or perhaps know someone.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 15, 2008

I signed up at this place: http://www.carneysandoe.com/ to help me get my resume without doing any work. They found me a wonderful interview and now I'm waiting a few weeks to hear back from them if I got the job--- which is in North Jersey at an amazing private school.

It might help you out :) Good luck!!

15. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

"Chosen Teacher": As for your question....I'm actually moving to CT this summer. Not sure if I'm going to have any luck out there. I'm applying to some schools now.

I would love to here from anyone that works in CT or is familiar with the CT standards and all that jazz...

Thanks

16. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

The CT job market is pretty tough as well. It depends on who you know and what you certification is. Elementary and certain secondary subjects are really tough. Math and science, however, seem to have more luck.

I graduated last year and still haven't gotten a certified job. I'm a perm building sub this year, hoping that I get something this year.