anyone in nj....? or anyone just struggling?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njteach41, Jun 11, 2008.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 11, 2008

Hey all,

I guess I just needed a place to vent things out. There's only so much my boyfriend and family can take lol. I'm just so frustrated with NJ and the job hunt. I graduated with a Master's Degree in Elementary Education LAST year, May 2007, and still haven't found a job. I graduated from one of the top 10 teaching schools in the nation wit a 3.8 gpa... but nothing is working.

I know the economy is slow, jobs are cut, budgets are chopped down but its hard. I also know elementary positions are hard to find, so I went and did everything to obtain my Middle School Social Studies certificate... still no job or even interviews. I've had people look at my resume because I started to think maybe there were serious typos or something in it that I wasn't catching... nope that was fine too.

Last year I applied to over 100 schools. This year I'm approaching that number again. I apply to 75% pubilc schools, 15% private, 10% catholic schools.

I went a year as a part time teacher's assistant and substitute teacher... but the living I'm making isn't enough anymore. I have to pay for health benefits which eats up most of my pay. My biggest fear is that I'm going to have to leave this profession (even though I technically haven't even started it yet) and enter the business world (which I hate) just to survive.

Anyone else out there with these feelings... any advice, tips, or just want to vent like me????

-Amanda

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

I don't live in NJ, but I wanted to say to keep plugging! I know it's hard, but just remember that every job you apply to gets you closer to your job!

Whenever I think of crappy job markets NJ always comes to mind for some reason. I left a crappy job market and moved South, so I guess in a way I can sympathize lol.

Have you posted your resume and cover letter here? Maybe we can "one-up" it and make it shine :)

4. njteach41

Jun 11, 2008

I know, I just need to keep working at it. And yes, NJ is flooded with teachers right now so it's hard to get that interview. I'll keep trying though.

I've thought up packing up and going somewhere that has more teaching jobs. The thing is, #1 I have absolutely no money to do so and #2 my entire family, boyfriend, friends are here and it would be really hard for me.

5. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Jun 11, 2008

Hi, NJ Teach,

I am in the same boat you are. Graduated with honors last year...been subbing or teaching after-school programs since then.

Student loans due, mortgage needs to be paid, car died last week...single parent...this stinks.

I can't do this much longer either. I don't know how to help you, just know you are NOT alone.

Good Luck to you!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2008

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time finding a job. Like Pisces, whenever I think of a saturated market, NJ is at the top of the list. Just keep applying, sending resumes and applications to every school within your radius. You might consider expanding your search. Good luck!

7. njteach41

Jun 11, 2008

Hey Turtle321,

I know, I get pretty down in the dumps with the job hunt sometimes. I know about bills and car troubles too, I have a 3 year old car and had to bring it in to the shop... $700 later lol.. wasn't too thrilled.

I guess we just need to keep going and keep trying. We also need to do what we have to do as well, and come September if that means working in the business world... it may not be what we want.. but it may be what we have to do you know?

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 11, 2008

I'm in NJ too and had some luck with interviews (about 10 interviews scheduled...some haven't taken place yet), but I didn't hear from schools until a month ago. I sent out over 80 applications in March and was starting to get very nervous. From what I hear, districts tend to hire in the summer months - July and August so maybe they'll start calling you soon. I definitely got more calls from private, Christian schools more than anything else. I also have a Masters in Elementary Ed. and I've been told by some coworkers that I might be an expensive hire since I never taught in my own classroom yet.

Another tip - are you making yourself stand out with your applications? I always send a tri-fold "about me" brochure and it seems to be a hit. What county do you live in? Good luck to both of us! :)

9. njteach41

Jun 11, 2008

i live in Middlesex County... my boyfriend lives in Essex County which is where I spend most of my time. I'm lucky to have 2 places at opposite ends of the state because it opens up a lot of locations to apply to. I think I will start to send out a brochure. Any other advice, because 10 interviews are a lot, i'm jealous lol. Best of luck to you :)

10. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

I'm not in NJ, but I am definitely struggling. I've been subbing in my current area for 4 years, seriously job searching for 3 (I moved here after the beginning of school, so missed out on job search the first year). My first two years here my husband and I wound up living with my sister and brother-in-law (my husband was finishing grad. school and didn't have a job yet...once he graduated all the school loans kicked in).

I've been getting vibes from my husband's family that they think I'm some kind of loser who can't find a full-time job. I am afraid to quit subbing because I feel I need the connections I can make while working in a school...plus I am definitely not a desk-job type of person. It's hard to keep a positive attitude, but I'm trying. The hugs and comments I get from the kids I've known for the last 4 years definitely keep me going.

11. njteach41

Jun 11, 2008

yeah i hear ya. i'm still living at home with my parents and they are helping me out so so so SO much. i always feel guilty though. i know they're sacrificing traveling and doing things to the house so that they can help me. and most of the time i feel like a burden even though they tell me otherwise. it's the same thing with my boyfriend, most of the time when we go out, he wants to pay because he knows i don't have much (we've been together over 2 years so he knows i'm not a $$ grubber lol) but still. i sub and make ok money, but its no where near enough. i just feel like a drain on people, and sometimes i wonder if the people around me, not including my parents and boyfriend, know how incredibly hard it is to find a job and that i'm not just being some lazy person.

12. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jun 11, 2008

Hi Amanda,
    I am in the same boat. I graduated with a Masters in 2007 and have not landed a job yet. I get interviews, but not jobs. I even had a 'mock interview' with a panel to try and pinpoint what was going wrong - they didn't come up with anything! It really is so discouraging after so much work for the degree and then the grueling rejection of the interviews.
    I wish I had answers, but I can only say "you are not alone". It isn't just you. I hope that makes you feel a little better. Hang in there. Things will get better. I really think so.
    Sending a hug.

13. njteach41

Jun 11, 2008

that's the thing... i'm not even getting that many interviews. i just don't get it. i'm applying to urban, suburban, private, charter, catholic, you name it.... nothing. i've had people/family/teachers/classmates look at my resume and everyone says its fine.. my cover letter too. is there any tips or advice that you can give me? what do you think you are doing or have done that has gotten you the interviews?

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 11, 2008

I repeat some good advice you have already gotten on this thread - you should post you cover letters and resume here. An Educational resume and cover letter looks quite a bit different than a resume for the coporate world. You will get the best advice and recommended edits from these great posters that want to help. So why not start a new thread with your resume and let everyone help you out

15. njteach41

Jun 11, 2008

i posted my resume in a new thread... if anyone can help that would be great.. thanks!!

16. sharona38

sharona38 Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

NJteach, your post sounded just like mine I had to check I didn't write it in my sleep. (I'm in Monmouth County). I graduated in May 2006 and have been searching ever since. I sent out almost 200 packets this year (letter, resume and CD portfolio) and have heard nothing. I taught middle school math this past year but it's not for me. I will not go back there next year (feel free to read about that on my post - feeling ambushed).
    I had 5 interviews last year between mid June and August so I'm hoping to still hear. I'm making follow up calls and emails though.
    Hang in there and be persistant.

P.S. - Teacherella - 10 interviews!? What's your secret? Congrats and good luck!

17. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 11, 2008

Around 5 of the interviews were at/will be at public schools and the rest were at private/Christian/Catholic schools. I honestly don't know what I did to get calls, but I do think that brochure helps me stand out a bit.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be offered a position at a Christian school and I'm still on the fence about it. The pay is really low and it's not in the best area. But, a job is a job, right? Plus, it would be my first year teaching so it's good experience. Good luck to everyone!! :)

18. smannes

smannes Companion

Jun 11, 2008

I lived in NJ for my entire life. I never found a teaching job in NJ. I lived in Morris county and it was always "you have to know someone to get a job". So I worked at a library for a while. Last year DH & I decided we needed out of NJ. DH asked for a transfer and they gave it to him. We ended up in NC. Within a month of being here, and applying for teaching jobs, I had numerous interviews & offers.