Anyone in an alternative certification program who found a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by readytostart, May 16, 2008.

1. readytostart

readytostart New Member

May 16, 2008

Hello All-

I am new to this forum and so far enjoy reading all the posts and appreciate the information provided. I am enrolled in an alternative certification program specifically iteachtexas and I was curious as to who all found a job who was enrolled in an alternative cert program. I only want to teach elementary. I took the EC-4 Generalist exam and have applied to a few school districts for next year. It seems like it's pretty competitive to find an elementary job these days. I was told by a couple of my teacher friends to not put that I am in an alternative cert program on my resume because the principals don't like that? That worries me! Has anyone else heard this? What advice can anyone offer as far as job searching being from an alternative certification program. I can't get fully-certified unless I have held a job for one year but how do I get a job if schools dont like students in an alternative certification program? This is sooo confusing!!!! Thanks for your HELP!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 16, 2008

My sister went the alt cert route and has been teaching for 2 years. There are a few teachers on here that I know went that same route, I don't know if it was iteachtexas, and have already gotten jobs for next school year. Hang in there, its still early!!

What area are you in?

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 16, 2008

I am doing the ACP route & found a job, 4 months from the time I started this process. However, my certification will be in bilingual education. Unfortunately, as an ACP in EC-4 certification, you are facing a double whammy -- in that there's lots of competition, both as regular certfied & as an ACP. If you can get a certification in the critical shortage areas, you will have no problem getting a job. Here's an article from today's news about teaching jobs in TX. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/051608dnmetteachflood.3106338.html

5. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

May 16, 2008

I did the MAT and have been working two years. I was not hired the first year I was licensed (and was still going to school).

6. romnov

romnov Rookie

May 16, 2008

I went through the Alternative Licence Program in Colorado. I taught in a small rural school while I was going through the program and for 1/2 of this year. In February I accepted a job with the Colorado Department of Corrections teaching in a prison for youthful offenders. I don't know if this is any help for you, but it is my experience.

7. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

May 17, 2008

I enrolled in iteachtexas.com in June 2006 and immediately started applying for jobs. I have subbed for 2 years and finally got agressive (and not as picky about districts) this year. I applied to 10 or so districts and signed a contract a few weeks ago for next school year. I never thought it would happen!

I wouldn't hide the fact that you're in an ACP. You can't be hired w/o submitting your statement of eligibility anyway and getting the whole payroll deduction thing in place. Plus, the way I look at it, would you really want to work for a principal who thinks you're less worthy just b/c you went through alternative certification? You want to be where you are valued, no matter how you obtained your teaching certificate.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Michele

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2008

I am ACP. I pretty much parallel TexasMom. But I subbed the 2 years before I started my ACP in June of 2006 and then the time during and after. I went through Region 10. I was picky last year and not this year. Got a job for 2008-2009 in dream district, school, and grade.

You need to put it on your resume. I had my education at the bottom of my resume. I have been out of college for quite some time so I highlighted my employment history first.

Go to job fairs if you can and do things to set yourself apart from the rest. Sub if you can

9. Grace

Grace Companion

May 20, 2008

Don't hide ACP in your resume. The principal will find out soon enough, and it will reflect poorly upon you if you are caught hiding pertinent information. It will probably be more difficult for you to find a job because you are only EC-4 and did ACP, but it's not impossible! Have you thought of adding an ESL or SpEd endorsement? That would help you out immensely. Good luck!

10. lollipop1129

lollipop1129 Rookie

May 21, 2008

I am an ACP candidate as well. It is hard to get an elementary job when you are an ACP candidate. The job market in that area is very competitive unless you know someone who can get you a job. Have you ever thought about getting your 4-8 generalist? I am only suggesting this because if you are willing to teach one of these grades the first year you will have your certification and it will be easier to choose the next year. I would HIGHLY recommend that you get your ESL as well. Many schools are not hiring without it so it will make you more marketable for sure. I just interviewed in a district for 5th grade. It is still elementary though. I would suggest applying to as many districts as possible too. Rural and urban areas are more likely to hire an ACP candidate from what I have seen with my friends and I. Don't get frustrated it will happen just be as flexible as posssible and don't be picky with districts or positions.

P.S.
    Don't think of yourself as an ACP candidate, I don't. If I could go back and change things I would have gone the traditional route however, with teaching you either have it or you don't the degree doesn't matter just a technicality. I know some school out there is going to be very lucky to have me!! I can't wait. Hope these suggestions help!

11. lollipop1129

lollipop1129 Rookie

May 21, 2008

One more thing, I did not hide that I was an ACP candidate on my apps. I did not highlight it either. I highlighted on my resume my experience with kids and all of the other things I have done so it would outshine the ACP. The HR director that I interviewed with was not discouraged with the fact that I was in an ACP program. He had me tell him about it and talk about what I had learned. It seems as if these days they are wanting to hire people based on personalities and character versus credentials.

12. readytostart

readytostart New Member

May 21, 2008

Thanks for the great suggestions!!!! Should I put that I am in an ACP program on my resume vs. cover letter? I did put that I took and passed the EC-4 exam on my cover letter so I am assuming they know I am enrolled in some sort of ACP program-right?
    How do I get ESL certified? I would love to! How does it work because I don't know Spanish? I guess I am trying to understand how you would teach Spanish Speaking students English if you don't know Spanish? Also with an ESL certification does it extend through all grades or is it like one exam for EC-4 and then one for 4-8 just how the normal TEXES is structured? Geez, this is all so confusing!
    Thanks!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 21, 2008

I'm in the middle of my ACP, but I got my job first and started the program later. Of course, I'm middle school math, which makes it far easier to get a job than elementary, but I do know quite a few people who have done it.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2008

Even if you went through a university program, you would have had to take and passed the EC-4 exam. I would leave off the ACP in your cover letter. You can get an ESL supplement K-12 by taking another exam. Many districts are now requiring that you have this cert. You don't have to speak Spanish. Its more how you modify for ESL students.

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 21, 2008

I know a lot of people who did an ACP. Most of them got jobs in charter schools in the are, but there are a few at my school. It's not impossible, you just have to get your foot in the door.

16. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

May 21, 2008

I put ACP in both cover letter and on resume.

I asked iteachTexas to approve me for the ESL exam, but they would not. They did approve me for the Spec Ed exam, though (never took it). I'll add the ESL after my internship (1st year teaching) is over and I have my standard certificate.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Michele

17. lollipop1129

lollipop1129 Rookie

May 21, 2008

The ESL exam does not require you to be bilingual. I just found out that I passed a couple of weeks ago actually. It just requires you to know techniques to teaching english language learners. It was not that hard it is only 60 questions and it took me about an hour and a half. It is definetly worth it and it will help you stick out a little bit.

I did not put that I was an ACP candidate in my cover letter. I highlighted all my experience and why I would be a great candidate. In my resume I put my experience with kids and the exams that I had passed on top. I put the ACP info in the education section.

18. mairak

mairak Rookie

Oct 1, 2012

Hi.
    I am doing my alternative certification right now and is planning on taking my generalist ec6 exam end of October. I have the same issue and I am confuse if I can find a job after I do this? so I wanted to ask you if you did find a job. Are you in Texas?

19. serenity74

serenity74 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012

I did the alternate route as well, and am having trouble finding a job (though all signs point to my struggles during interviews). I am not sure if it is hurting my chances, but I did take it off of my cover letter. It is in my applications and resume, however. Some classmates were hired before the school year, and some of us are still looking, or subbing. I know that some schools here don't want to consider the untraditional students but many are very interested in our varied backgrounds. And I am banking on a mid year position so I can begin my new chapter as an educator!!!