Anyone here got a job by alternate route certification??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thesub, Jan 23, 2009.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 23, 2009

I should be getting a CE in elem. ed soon but I am full of doubts whether this will do me any good and I am very nervous. Does anyone in New Jersey hire alt. route candidates? I know the school districts are bound legally to hire alt. route and would like hear some positive hiring stories, if there are any!

Actually I want to teach elementary-level ESL and the CE is only the first step. Any teachers here ESL-certified via the alternate route?

Thanks so much!

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2009

I know quite a few teachers who have gone the alt. route, so it's not impossible. But the job market is tough right now so I don't know how likely anyone is to get hired.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2009

There are numerous ACP folks on this forum.

I am an ACP bilingual ed teacher, which means I am qualified to teach in a bilingual classroom, an ESL classroom or a regular classroom. That sure opened the market quite a bit for me.

Alternative certification has served me well -- I was hired a few months after I completed my in-class courses.

I have no idea what the situation is like in New Jersey.

Good luck!

5. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 23, 2009

ooooo-do you have any suggestions on getting hired? NJ seems to be flooded with new candidates who have done the traditional route. How will I get an advantage over them? I am an older candidate and will not take maternity leave etc etc.

What is a bi-lingual classroom? Do you teach Spanish also?

Once I take the ESL tests (OPI and written), do I do the alternate route- stage I and then send out resumes???

Thanks so much for any advice

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2009

You are welcome.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 23, 2009

But I thought you needed a contract before you did the 2nd stage of alternate route.

Also, did you get interviews from many schools? In one district here in NJ, a few teachers told they did not get any interviews because they went the alternate route. So they did the traditional route and then started getting interviews! Have you also known this to happen to others??

Thanks!

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2009

Correct -- I didn't make that clear. I took the instructional portion of AC, got a job, and now I am attending seminars and taking online courses to complete my AC.

When I began my job search, I had about a dozen interviews scheduled, but before I could attend them all I was (very happily) hired by the first P that I interviewed with.

I don't know anything about NJ but, here in Texas, AC is definitely not looked down upon. In fact, at my school alone there are three of us out of six in my grade level who are AC. And, I know of one in third grade and several in the other grades here. In the small district where I teach there are numerous AC hires.

I actually live in Houston and teach in a neighboring district, but I can tell you that a large number of HISD teachers are also AC. So, no, I don't know of anyone who did AC and then switched to traditional because they did not get interviews.

Some things you might consider that may have had an impact on the AC's not getting interviews:
    The quality of the ACP the NJ teachers attended
    The quality of their original resumes and cover letters
    Sometimes jobs are there, sometimes not -- when did they apply?

9. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 24, 2009

Thanks for clarifying. This was around 2006 when the teachers told me about their experiences.

I am still nervous about the whole alternate route - I console myself saying if I don't get a job, I will keep subbing/become an aide (tho' I find aide jobs boring) till I make an impression on a P. Is this a good approach??

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2009

It also depends on what your getting certified in. Elementary teachers are a dime a dozen, and schools can be choosy in who they hire. Math, Chem and Physics, and bilingual teachers are harder to come by so schools might be more willing to hire ACP candidates in those positions. Like Alice said, you have to find a way to make yourself stand out above the crowd. Aide jobs may be boring, but it gives the P a chance to see you every day and how you interact with students and the staff.

11. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jan 24, 2009

I am a success story of the the NJ alternate route system. I got my CE in English and ESL, and then was hired by a nice school district in South Jersey. I actually had to CHOOSE between two job offers, both in great schools. The key for me was getting the dual CE's to distinguish myself, make myself more marketable, and now, to make myself indispensable to the school district.

12. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 24, 2009

IS your CE in middle school English? Did you go thru a county college or Kean for alt. route? Kean offers alt. route classes near my houses, which is an added attraction.

I am getting a CE in Elem. Ed and am thinking ESL also. Maybe I should add middle-school CE to my belt?

thanks!

13. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 24, 2009

One more question: how did you decide what level you wanted to student-teach? When you get multiple certifications, which one do you student-teach?

Thanks.