Anyone here get paid to tutor? Or start your own tutoring business?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by anewstart, Jan 11, 2011.

1. anewstart

anewstart New Member

Jan 11, 2011

Has anyone here started their own side business or full-time business just tutoring? Did you set up a business license and the whole shebang or did you just put up fliers/word-of-mouth and had clients pay cash?

I'm moving to a new state and I'm considering setting up a tutoring business if I can't find a job teaching that I could live off of for one school year and then transition into an after-school/weekend business if I eventually find a job.

If you successfully tutored, how many clients/hours did you have per week? In my preferred city, it looks like credentialed teachers are charging up to $40 an hour. If I could get 20 hours a week, that would definitely be more than enough to support myself on even if I had to buy my own insurance, I'm just not sure how realistic that would be.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I've done a lot of tutoring over the years.

I write a letter of introduction, along with a resume, and send it to the Director of Guidance to all the surrounding high schools. (Don't forget non-public schools.)

That has normally been enough to get me enough kids.

But 20 hours per week might be tough-- remember, they're all after school hours. Finding 20 kids who need a math tutor and can afford to pay one in this economy sounds kind of difficult.Around here, even 5 years ago, the going rate was in the ballpark of $75; now it's closer to $100 per hour.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2011

I am a certified orton gillingham tutor and tutor children after school. Because of my specialty I am able to charge $50 per hour and prep for each lesson is also an hour. So, for each child I tutor, I do an individualized lesson plan that takes me about an hour to prepare prior to working with that child.

I tutor my kids twice a week, and I have 5 kids that I tutor on top of teaching full time.

If I were hiring a tutor for my child, I would want to know what your area of specialty is and what qualifies you to tutor children other than your teaching degree.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2011

I tutor through my school during the year.

In the summer, I find 6 or so kids to work with. All it took for me was letting the other teachers on my grade level know - between the 3 of us, I was turning people away after a couple of days!

However, it is a small school, and all the parents knew me well. It might be harder if you aren't already known in a school/group of parents...

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 11, 2011

I tutor through the school year and during the summer as well. Right now I am tutoring 3 days. The extra income during the summer has been a blessing and I still have plenty of "free time."

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I've come to the realization that my tutoring is indeed a 'side business' (I tutor about 12 hours per week). I've built up a client base by word of mouth-- first I listed with our guidance counselor and got a few 'nibbles' and started years ago with only about 3 hours per week...Friends tell friends, you develop a reputation...I'm now up to 12 hours per week. I have 'Vistaprint' business cards that I give clients so they can share my info with their friends (although I seriously have no time except Fridays and weekends in my schedule and I'm keeping those free...a girl's gotta have some time for fun!!). I charge $70 per hour.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I still have some of my vistaprint business cards left.