Anyone here a Head Start teacher?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by upstatenytchr, Sep 6, 2010.

1. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

Hi!

Over 4 years ago I worked for an Early Intervention/Preschool Special Education agency and after 2 years of kindergarten and elementary special education in public schools, find myself back at preschool special education. I'm excited as I now see the benefit of early intervention much more now. Just wondering if there are any Head Start teachers here or preschool special educators. :)

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 6, 2010

I used to work for Head Start. I was the CDA/teacher trainer.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 7, 2010

I don't teach head start, although I do have ECSE as well as at-risk.

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 7, 2010

I am a ESCE teacher. All of my students are at-risk or have special needs.

6. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

I'm a head start teacher! This will be my second year with the organization and I love it.

7. LifeSkills

LifeSkills Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

I teach a Pre-K autism class.

8. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

I've been a Head Start teacher for 6 years.

9. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 8, 2010

I have been a Head Start teacher for 14 years!

10. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 18, 2013

I would love to see this thread be active. What kind of changes or trends are you seeing in your Head Start.

The one I am at now, seems to be focusing very sharply on safety. By that I mean, administrative focus on safety routines. Redundancy checks. So, first one person conducts a safety check on a classroom, then a second person peforms the same check. When moving children from point A to point B one person has to count, then a second person has to count and both teachers have to agree on the number of children moving along. Be it the bathroom, playground, bus, whatever. And a room check. When leaving a room with children, the last teacher has to circle the room looking for any stragglers or hiding children. I'm not criticizing this. I'm just wondering what's new at your Head Start.

And written sign ins. Lots of logs signing kids in and out of everywhere. Attendance for class. Attendance for meals. Etc. etc.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2013

I have not taught for years. When I was teaching Head Start, I noticed a big difference between programs. By program, I mean the agency who receives the money and runs the Head Start. The differences in programs was remarkable. Some were very strict about rules and regs, while others were not.

Now, as to your shift to safety. Did your program just have a federal review? Safety may have been an issue that needed work.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2013

My first teaching job in 1974 was in Head Start. I was teaching in upstate NY.

13. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 19, 2013

Oh, yes, I've heard similar things. Having only worked for one agency I can only go by what I've heard. But I have heard a lot about new National "Redundancy Standards" which seems to imply these new requirements are coming from a National Standard. We get really good audits though.

14. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 25, 2013

I believe the reason for the emphasis on keeping close count of children is because any program that loses a child (e.g leaves a child on a bus, or alone in a classroom unattended, etc.) must self-report and goes into immediate recompetition for the grant. Our program has been doing intense monitoring for the past 4 years or so... and always adding more monitoring..

15. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jan 16, 2014

This sounds closest to the truth. There is a definite urgency to all the rule monitoring and consequences for slip ups are severe. The level of attention being paid to it seems quite high. Next year is review year.

16. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 16, 2014

We are waiting for our review now... thought it might be in December, but it hasn't happened yet. I wish we could just get it over with.

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

I taught Head Start ten years, Kinder for 6, now I am teaching TK and next year will teach first!

18. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Feb 21, 2014

That's always the feeling. We had our last sometime in the Winter, and I have to say, it was a bit of a disaster, with snowdays and weather related complications. Fall reviews are best. Get them out of the way. The waiting is just so un endingly tense. The pressure just keeps building. And the way they are refunding programs just increases the pressure cooker feeling.

Have you had your review yet?

19. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Feb 21, 2014

For myself, I have no problem with upping the level of monitoring to keep kids safe. What I do have a problem with, is what the situation is that requires such monitoring. For instance, two adults with 20 high need, low regulatory 3 and 4's is just insane. The adult guidance is doing every thing required, but the unpredictability of children this age is intense, and doesn't fit into a proscribed rule and regulation plan. Tell THEM that they should not run in the classroom and run out the door, or hide in the room or throw things. Yep, Those kids will understand it. Uh huh. While the two adults are nearly having aneurysms trying to keep kids safe and productive.

20. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 21, 2014

I totally agree with you wyvern. We have seen a tremendous rise in the number of children with severe emotional issues, behavioral challenges, and extreme family problems in the past 4 years or so.
    It is extremely difficult to manage classrooms with 18 to 20 children and two adults. I often wonder how the kindergarten teachers manage alone with those same children who had issues in our classroom. :(

21. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Feb 24, 2014

Well, they don't. Not here anyway. Pretty much behavior kids are warned, get sent to the principal and get sent home.

22. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014

Hello All,

I started in a HeadStart program- it does birth to K and I am in a 18 mos to 3 years class.
    So our funding comes from multiple sources... This means that we follow HeadStart and other rules ... and use creative curriculum gold.
    We are a self reporter as well. We do constant counts of the kids and all staff that enters asks how many, followed by their own count...
    I've been in class for 3 weeks training and take the "test" to see if I can become part of the ratio on Monday.

23. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 2, 2014

Good Luck with your test, Waterburyk9!

24. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Mar 4, 2014

Interesting! I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the norm where I am.