Anyone heard of this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

Just curious....anyone heard of teachers being paid an hourly rate but somehow it is paid out like a salary? How would that work?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

I think that's what happens with most teachers. We are technically paid and hourly rate, but that is paid out over the school year or the entire year (which looks like a salary). Our paycheck each week does not directly reflect the number of hours we put in for the week.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2010

I get a set salary. I got a set salary in my old state. It is divided up over an entire year. In my current state I get paid monthly. In my previous state I got paid twice a month. I miss that!

5. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

One of my mom's friends (a HS English teacher) figured out one time that she made about $3 an hour when she figured in grading, taking tickets at football games, after school meetings etc...!

(I know I'm not being helpful to your question, but I thought it was funny...)

6. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

I know that the system I will be working in does break down our salary into hourly pay on our pay scale that is published. I am thinking that no matter what, it is based on a 7 1/2 hour work day, 190 days a year.

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 13, 2010

Okay...found out ours is based on an 8 hr day (7:30-3:30) and is figured at 180 school days. It is split into payments so we get paid over holidays. :)

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

Well, that is a relief for budgeting purposes. What happens if you are absent? Is that the amount deducted from that pay period?

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2010

When I was a TA, that was how they figured ours out... because we weren't required to work summers (slthough we could, if we chose, for extra pay), they still wanted to ensure that our insurance continued throughout the summer... so they took our hourly rate, multiplied it out by the numbers of hours we were contracted to work, then divided it out over 26 paychecks. Summer pay was added on top of what we already had coming to us, or was a second paycheck, I can't remember.

We had a certain amount of sick days (we could use them as sick HOURS if necessary to cover dr appts, etc) that were part of our agreement... if we went over those, they could deduct them out.

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Good to know. I am going tomorrow to sign my contract and talk about pay and insurance and things like that. I feel clueless. She started to talk money on the phone when she offered me the job and I wasnt even listening. I wanted to be like lady, you could pay be nothing. I just want to teach :)

11. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I got an email once that calculated it down to /student. It was sad....and it was based on like 25 students. IT worked out to be like 18c/hr per student. Gah!