Anyone have STEM resource recommendations?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Mar 18, 2015.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Mar 18, 2015

Good evening, all! Our school is getting prepared to move toward a leadership and STEM focus for the upcoming school years. I feel like I have a good deal of knowledge on leadership and ways to integrate leadership training into our curriculum. STEM is really new to me. We are not a STEM school, and we have not really pushed many STEM activities in the past. I have been searching online and have found a wealth of activities that say they are STEM activities, but I would like to find more resources to help guide in professional development / training for teachers on a school level, as it doesn't appear the district will be offering much training at this point. Are there any resources you can recommend for teachers as we begin this process? I would appreciate any help! TIA!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2015

Look into the Engineering is Elementary program produced by the Boston Museum of Science. It's a fabulous curriculum, there are twenty different units, most of the units can be easily adapted for multiple age groups, and there are a lot of free resources. I highly recommend the curriculum, and the trainings are a real blast if you can get to one. I've been to full-day trainings on four of the units, and without exaggeration, they are the best trainings I have ever been to.

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Mar 18, 2015

Thanks, gr3teacher! I will definitely look into that!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 18, 2015

If you can contact The PAST Foundation, they are an amazing resource with whom I've work personally on creating a STEAM curriculum.

6. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Mar 19, 2015

This book, Invent To Learn, is considered by many to be the "bible" of the Maker Movement in schools in particular.

The Maker Faire is an amazing experience to see and feel the atmosphere of the Maker movement and STEM in schools. You will find a lot of students sharing their projects. Find the nearest Maker Faire and try to go with colleagues and students to experience it

And check out the First Lego League robotics competitions. You may want to start a robotics team among your students/school then branch out with other schools. Find the local schools doing it already to get pointers.

I hope these help!

Fred

7. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Mar 19, 2015