Anyone have/had T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by eternalsaudade, Jan 9, 2014.

1. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jan 9, 2014

So apparently T-Mobile is offering to pay for early termination fees if you break your contract with AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint and seems to have much cheaper plans, so I am considering. However, I have no idea how T-Mobile's service is. So... anyone have T-Mobile? Are you satisfied with it? Are you in a rural, suburban, or urban area? Does it seem better or worse than other carriers?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2014

I had T-Mobile for several years before switching to Verizon, which we did because T-Mobile didn't have the iPhone at that point. I found their service to be just fine in the suburban and urban areas of northern and southern CA that I used it in. In college, I had better service on our campus than my AT&T friends. But I think it just depends where you are.

Their plans are cheaper, but you have to either pay upfront for the phone or add it to the plan each month, I'm pretty sure. We looked into it for when our contract with Verizon is up, but because we don't really want to pay for two $600 iPhones upfront and would have to divide the payments monthly, it ended up being pretty similar in cost to what we are paying with Verizon.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 10, 2014

Me, my mom, and my brother have a plan with T-Mobile in suburban NJ. We get a 12% discount because my mom is a local government employee (the discount applies to the monthly bill less the phone costs).

Their site has a pretty good thing to check coverage in your area. Honestly, it's worth it to switch. We were on Verizon before, and AT&T before that. T-Mobile is about $30 a month cheaper than Verizon for us, and the cost of the phone being worked into your monthly payment isn't that bad - and you can always pay more than the required down payment at time of purchase to reduce the months you have to pay. Our bill will drop to ~$90 a month after our phones are paid off.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 10, 2014

I'm on T-Mobile. It's worth noting that I purchased the family's phones online from the manufacturers for better deals (Nexus from Google for ~$400 and Moto G from Motorola for ~$180). Any unlocked GSM phone will do. Very happy with T-Mobile, especially the prices! Our phones get used in suburban and urban areas, no reception issues at all. I pay $80 for two lines with unlimited talk and text, and plenty of data for my usage. If I hit the max, the speed just reduces. Not like I can't use it or anything. I mostly use my data on wifi networks, so hitting my limit doesn't really happen. I also like that they have free data/texting when you roam, so I can use my phone when I travel. I would DEFINITELY recommend switching if the coverage map looks okay in your area. Here's the map: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2014

I had AT&T for about a decade, then T-Mobile, which I've had now & I'm waiting for my year's contract to be up to see what else is out there. I pay $37 & some change per month, but I have limited minutes per month & unlimited texts. Starting this past Nov, I can now write off my bill though due to this other work I use my cell for. The service itself is good, I guess. It has no reception at times.

7. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Jan 11, 2014

I just switched to tmobile from verizon yesterday because they are going to pay my ETF and the plan I am on now is cheaper by $30 for the service I was getting at verizon.

In regards to the quality of service, it all depends on where you live, and what you use your phone for.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2014

I had T-Mobile about 10 years ago. At the time it worked fine in the nearby city, but the suburb I lived in was very hit or miss. I went back to Verizon.

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

I stinking love T mobile. I've had it for 8 years (the only company I've ever had, got them when I was 17). I've never had any problems with them on a customer service level. Service is occasionally sketchy, but only when I am in a basement. My favorite part is my hometown: It is the only provider that has service everywhere in my hometown. Verizon has service from one couch in my parent's living room, but not on another, and the same goes for AT&T and Sprint.