Anyone have bursitis?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Upsadaisy, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2017

If so, how long did it last? Did you get a cortisone injection? What helped the pain?

It's been four weeks, one injection, no pain pills and it is still excruciating. It's in my right shoulder and severely limiting what I can do with that arm. :fearscream:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2017

Oh no! Feel better!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2017

Thanks, czacza.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2017

My mom has had injections for bursitis in her shoulder twice. She says it helped. It was pretty bad pain. She is tough, and she went to the ER with the pain.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  6. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 26, 2017

I have bursitis in my hip because of my hip dysplasia. I haven't done cortisone injections for that, but I've needed one for my wrist previously. I don't recommend the experience. Also, if this is going to be an ongoing problem, you have to be careful because too many cortisone injections can damage your liver.

Anecdotally and with some medical support, take B12 supplements. A B12 injection is much more effective, but supplements can knock down the symptoms a bit. There's studies back to the late '50s showing positive results from B12 injections specifically in shoulder bursitis.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Aug 26, 2017

I would also recommend (as a longer term measure) considering Athletic Therapy - I found it much more helpful that Physio with my hip.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 27, 2017

My dad use to get flare ups all the time. Cortisone helped but it always came back. He did therapy for a while but it didn't fix anything long-term.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 28, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I'm seeing a sports orthopedist. I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of physical therapy ... I'm worried that there is a rotator cuff injury in addition to bursitis and that's why the shot didn't help much. I will get B12 because some other med I take can cause a shortage of that in the body. I definitely wouldn't want to experience this in my hip! The pain is awful. It's a good excuse for not wearing a bra, though.

10. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 1, 2017

It sounds like you know what to do to help it. Sports orthopedist sounds really good. If s/he says pt, ask for a recommendation. I had frozen shoulder years ago and the doc gave me a shot, which got it better enough to do pt, but it never really was ever at 100 percent again and this year it is flaring again, although not really bad, I just feel it. I make sure to not carry my bag on that side and try to do all the things the pt said to do. I have never heard the b12 connection before. I will try that. I hope you are feeling better.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 1, 2017

Oh, no. I have read that you can expect future flare-ups. Thank you, creativemonster. I was supposed to go back to the doctor this week, but since my deductible hasn't been met, an mri wouldn't be covered and I already will have to pay for last week's ultrasound out of pocket. So, I decided to just tough it out. I'm taking ibuprofen, though it isn't recommended because I have diabetes. But, I don't know how else to stand it. It will pass, I think, at some point. I had no idea it could be this painful.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 1, 2017

No advice, just best wishes that the pain goes away soon.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2017

You are so sweet! Thank you, teacherintexas.

teacherintexas likes this.