Anyone have a tattle box or something similar?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by smannes, Sep 14, 2007.

1. smannes

smannes Companion

Sep 14, 2007

My group is constantly interrupting to tattle on someone for something so small. I was thinking of making a box that they can drop their tattles in. Anyone do this or something similar?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 14, 2007

I stop the little honeys mid-sentence because I can tell by the way they are starting it.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

I used a tattle box last year. Just remember that when you introduce it to go over the procedures for using it.

5. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

tattle - (mail) box

i have a Classroom Mailbox where they can write me anything...and yes, occasionally they use it to tattle. its nice to have because i get some notes saying they are sad because something happened at home, girls can tell me when they are on their period, they tell me to have a nice day, etc. i tell them they can use it to tell me anything that may be on their mind. it seems to help them alot because my kids come to school with problems and just writing it down helps them get it out of their mind and they concentrate on schoolwork.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 15, 2007

I like the idea of having a general mailbox. I may try that next year.

7. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

I am going to have a clipboard where the students can write a general statement ex: People are talking while I am working", and then we will have a class meeting. The person who wrote the comment has to own up to it (by writing their name next to the comment). We then talk about it as a class. No name calling....just an open discussion. ;)

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 16, 2007

I have a tattle tale form. I keep them in a binder. When they start to tattle I say, "Fill out a tattle tale form." There are about 8 sections they have to fill out, so it takes a while to complete it. Thus, making them decide whether or not they want to write one out to tattle about someone calling someone else a "weirdo". I get about 5-7 a week.

9. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 17, 2007

I used a general bucket. Students were able to put in anything that was bothering them, tattles, or positive comments about the day. Each day I would pull out any positive comments about students and read them out loud. The students really liked hearing comments from peers. It worked out great!

10. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Sep 18, 2007

When I worked in frist grade we had one . The teacher would read then right before outside time and the chidlren would stay in to talk to her and they soon learned to work it out as friends. If a child just needed to talk they had a chance to have one on one with the teacher.

11. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 8, 2007

I noticed the tattling problem with my 4th graders too, so I started a "Comment Can." I have a box of little pieces of paper next to the comment can. They use the blue paper to write complaints about other kids or things that have been going on at school, and yellow paper to write compliments for other kids in the class. Every Friday morning, I go through the Comment Can in front of the class. I read the compliments, and the kids get to keep the compliments that are written about them. I also read the complaints, but anonymously - no names. I say whether it's a boy or a girl, though, and if I notice the same kid getting more than one complaint, I point that out too so that the kids will start wondering, "Hmm, could that be me?"

The kids look forward to going through the Comment Can, and it has cut back on the tattling a LOT. If they start, I cut them off with, "Are you tattling? Where does that go?" and they immediately head to the Comment Can. We did talk about cases where it's okay to "tattle" though - in emergencies, if someone is being threatened or hurt, etc. They seem to understand the difference.

12. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

Most of my pre-school classrooms that I supervise use a teddy bear as "Tattle Teddy" and they are sent to tattle to him. The children are taught the difference between a tattle and an emergency that the teacher needs to know about. It actually works really well, even with my 3's and 4 year olds.

13. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 8, 2007

That's a good idea! LOL

Isn't it funny how offended they get over the smallest things? There was one week where I got more than one complaint in my Comment Can about a boy telling two girls they looked like toads, and the girls calling the boy a chipmunk LOL. One day I had a little girl sobbing in my room at recess because a boy had called her Shortie. I had to finally say, "You know, honey, you ARE short. And that's okay. You'll grow. Is it so bad to be called Shortie?" Apparantly she thought it was.

14. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Oct 9, 2007

compliments & concerns

Hi,

I had a similar idea about the comment can. I had 2 boxes called "Compliments" and "Concerns". I usually just take a shoe box & cover it w/paper. One year, about 7 years ago, I passed the compliments box around so the kids could put something nice on it like "way to go" or "nice job!"

Anyhow, on Fridays I would read the compliments aloud & give them to the person who got the compliment. The concern box was read outloud as well & we discussed the issue if it was still going on. Most of the time the kids couldn't even remember the incident.

I had set up rules about the boxes: compliments & concerns had to be specific & not only given to friends, (compliments that is) (they could be given to me too)

15. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Oct 10, 2007

I teach Kinder and we have a Tattle Turtle (a stuffed turtle) that the kids can talk to when they need to tattle.