Anyone Have a Studio Apt?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2011

I'm going to be starting to gradually look around to see what apts are in my area. I'll start w/ my desired city 1st. I was never opposed to studios, so for those who live in one, I have a couple questions:

1) Would you live in one again?
    2) What are all the cons/pros besides it being cheaper?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2011

I haven't lived in one, but my best friend in college did. She really loved her little apartment (more like an attic) while she lived there.

Some pros:
    • Since you don't have the space to put stuff, you don't really get into the habit of accumulating a lot of unnecessary stuff.
    • Less expensive, especially considering utilities like heating/cooling costs.

Some cons:
    • There's not a lot of space. If you have a lot of clothes or shoes or books, there's really nowhere to put them except out in the open. It can make an already small space look and feel cluttered.
    • Zero privacy when you have overnight guests, or your guests will have to stay elsewhere.
    • Not much space for entertaining even just one or two friends.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2011

In town around the square there are a couple of studio apartments in the top floors of the historic buildings. A friend of mine lived in one after high school and it was beautiful. It wasn't small, either...rather large and, of course, open. It does help if you are organized, I know that. :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2011

My son lived in one for a few months last year. For him, it was perfect. He has very few things, so he didn't need to worry about limited storage space. The one thing he missed was room for a couch large enough to stretch out on; because of the small space, the furniture was all on a smaller scale.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2011

Hubby lived in one when we first started dating. I remember he had a wardrobe/closet/storage piece of furniture that acted as a wall between the living room and bedroom.

So, if you live in a studio, I know you can get real creative about creating little private spaces. Its' all about working the room and with what you have.You can get real creative with wall space, furniture that comes with storage (such as a bed that has drawers), etc. Definitely look around and see what's out there.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2011

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 5, 2011

I lived in one when I did my student teaching. It had been an old motel, so it had the same basic layout that you'd expect from a motel . . . one large room, a small room with closet & sink, and a bathroom with shower and toilet.

I had a sitting area with a television and recliner. The "kitchen area had a table, two chairs, small fridge, and microwave. The bedroom had a queen bed and nightstand. The dresser and a bookshelf created a wall to separate the sleeping area from the rest. I used a tension rod to hang a curtain over the opening into the bathroom area.

It wasn't so bad considering that it was a 1970's-era motel at one point. I really loved that the building had a HUGE indoor heated pool and on-site laundry.

I did have to be creative about storage because everything was kind of "out there", but I'm not a fan of clutter. It didn't really bother me.

I chose it because I was only going to be living in the town for a few months, and all of the apartments in the area wanted a minimum year lease.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 5, 2011

I lived in a studio in college for an entire year. I loved it! It was exactly the right size for a college girl. I had to be very careful and only had in there what I really needed. That was a super great time in my life and I loved having my own quiet space. Most of my entertainment was outside of the apartment, and that was fine for me.

10. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 6, 2011

I live in one right now! Other posters have laid out the pros and cons pretty well, so I'll just tell you about my experience. I really love it! I love that I don't have a lot of crap just accumulating. I love that keeping a place clean doesn't take much time. I love that I'm not paying a lot in rent (utilities TBD...I have been living here just over a month and haven't gotten my first bill yet!). For a (newly) single person, as I am, it's perfect and I wholeheartedly recommend it!

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 6, 2011

I would never want a studio bec I didnt like the way a dorm felt and those were small! How about a reg apt?

12. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 6, 2011

I lived in a studio for a good part of college, and it worked for me then, not sure if it would now.

It was easy to clean and super affordable. I never sectioned it off, but every two rooms on the floor shared a bathroom (no it was not a dorm) and that was a big annoyance. So, that negative probably wouldn't affect you as I'm sure most these days have their own bathrooms, but I hate having to wear sandals in the shower to protect my feet!

A negative I can see after college life, when your buddies are no longer nimble enough to sleep on the floor, is the lack of a guest bedroom. As much as I loved my studio, I almost feel like I couldn't live with any less than two bedrooms, just in-case my parents or friends wanted to stay over for whatever reason.

Then again, with how cheap they are...and the money you can bank, it's probably worth it!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 6, 2011

If I was buying, I wouldn't buy a studio, but since renting is short term, I might rent one if it was just me. A studio is definitely too small for a couple! I've only stayed in one for about a month so I didn't have to worry about storage of out of season items.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2011

Thanks guys! It's just going to be me & my little dog. Everything I own is contained in 3 rooms of the house I'm in now (bedroom, bathroom, & den), but it's very cluttered w/ my tons of clothes, shoes, toiletries, & papers. I'm also building my DVD collection in which I have about 50 now. I'm only really taking my 32" flat screen TV, DVD player, computer, 2 laptops, & printer. I'm buying everything else new. I'm literally ONLY in my bedroom to sleep, I'm in the den most of the time I'm at home, which is why I wouldn't mind a studio. The ONLY thing I'd worry about is not having nearly enough space w/ a studio.

My 1st choice is still a (separate) 1 bedroom. No matter which apt I chose, it will be newer (no more than 5-8 yrs old). I drove around yesterday & picked up brochures & an apt guide. The avg rent in my desired area for a 1 bedroom is about $1100 for 730 sq ft to $1375/mo. I don't really want to pay more than about $1200.

15. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 6, 2011

yowza, but I suppose, California! I'm not looking forward to $700 a month rent, and that's in an expensive suburb that buds up to the Twin Cities here! ;)

Obviously you get paid more because of cost of living, but here, for that price, one could easily get a 2 bedroom apartment in an affluent neighborhood. ;)

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2011

Prices really do vary from place to place. In one town in CA, you could get a decent place for aournd $800 (in fact, I'm renting out my 3 bedroom house through a property management company for 800; the other house I own I'm renting it out for less and it's a GORGEOUS house in an awesome location). Where I'm living now, hubby and I are renting a small 2 bedroom apartment for close to $1300 a month. To me, that's a lot!! But I get it's high because we live in a town close to the ocean.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2011

How much, Ms. I, what would monthly payments be for an average small home? Astronomical?

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

I just checked our local newspaper website.

The cheapest 1 bedroom I could find in my mom's town was $1500 a month. (I didn't see any in my town.) I didn't think to check studios, as most of them around here tend not to be legal rentals.

Mom pays $1600 a month rent.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

I've always found that moving is a great opportunity to 'edit' our 'stuff'. A studio is not going to accommodate what you currently have stored in 3 rooms, Ms I. Consider how often you really wear some clothing items ( I think you've mentioned keeping some clothes in garbage bags?) and also whether you really need other incidentals....I find purging a great feeling. You can donate your no longer needed items to a shelter or other charity. Good luck on your prospective move!:thumb:

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

Something else to consider:

Make SURE there are two exits from your apartment in the event of fire.

Most of the studios I've ever seen have been illegal basement apartments with only exit. NOT SAFE.

I know legal apartments cost more, but there's a reason for that. Please ensure that you have two exits. If one is a window, make sure it's large enough, it opens sufficiently and that, once out the window, there's a safe way to the ground.

Knock wood you'll never need the second exit.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 6, 2011

Geez! :dizzy:

My house payment is only $635 a month (1600sq.ft. on 1.5 acres), and that includes payments to my escrow account for my insurance and taxes. I guess there is a lot to be said for living in the boonies. :lol:

22. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 6, 2011

I've never lived in one...but I can't imagine it. When we were in our apt we had a bedroom and I liked that it was separate from the living area...whenever friends/family came over they weren't sitting on my bed hanging out with me...or crammed in a corner. I think the privacy is nice to hide your stuff out of sight.

I know around the general area you live in but not sure where you want to look. I know around Victoria Gardens they've built a lot of new and nice apts, also in the Eastvale area they are really building it up.

23. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2011

I haven't read the replies........ but no matter what you decide..... I suggest you get out ........ on you own NOW...... :):)

24. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 6, 2011

Right now I am in a 2 bedroom apartment that I pay $655 per month. I am hoping to soon move into a twinhome that will be $460 per month (and has a garage).

25. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 6, 2011

nklauste: OMG, 655 for a 2 bedroom...that would be a dream in CA. A 2 bedroom is probably near 1400, depending on the city it could be a little less or a lot more..

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2011

Woah, all this about some of you paying ONLY $400 something to $600 something is nice! But, I could never picture living in any state back east or south.

There is this new apt complex currently being constructed that I've been keeping my eye on that's about several minutes from where I live now, but I was disappointed to find out that the rent's from $1500 - $2100/mo for 980 to 2180 sq ft! :eek::( I could afford the $1500, but I want as much of my paycheck left over for bills & fun stuff too. I'd still never get a roommate or two & split the rent. I want my OWN space.

Alice, the studios that the apt complexes in my area have are all legal for sure!

Yes, czacza, I do plan to clear out a LOT of stuff. I hate clutter & I'm sure not about to bring all the clutter w/ me. My rule has always been that if I haven't used/worn something in a year, I won't start now. But, that shows you how many clothes I still have that are good.

Yes Major, that's the plan now that I've finally got a job that I plan to be my lifelong career. I just got off to a later start w/ my career than many others (& I only worked a year at the special ed teaching job I had in 2006 plus I'm still a single lady, so it's not like I had a husband w/ a good job where we lived in a home a decade or so ago already).

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2011

I was thinking the same thing about being glad I live in the boonies--we have an $850 a month house note for a 3200 sq ft house on 2 acres.:)

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 7, 2011

We paid $750 a month for a newly remodeled cottage-style rental with 2b/2b and 1325 sq. ft. It also had a fireplace and a fenced in back patio.

At one point my husband and I did live in a studio together, and it was nice, but we did get tired of not having our own place to go. If you think your boyfriend will visit regularly, you may want to choose something different so it gives you a place to go and have privacy while he's over so you don't end up hanging out in the bathroom when you need some alone time.

Based on what I know about you and your lifestyle from on here, I don't think a studio will be a good fit for you. I think you will want more storage space and space to decorate.

29. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 7, 2011

Your average rent would pay for a nice 2 bedroom in my area. Good to see that you are looking to move out of your parents home. Independence is a wonderful thing. There will be some things that you miss and things are ALWAYS more expensive than you first budget for... so be ready for hidden expenses that always occur when you move out on your own.

When we moved into our current home I was shocked at how much just turning on water, gas, and electricity ended up being. But then had to pay a separate fee for garbage, cable, phones, etc. It all just added up to more than what I thought the move was going to cost. Live and learn.

30. msaly

msaly Comrade

Nov 7, 2011

I lived in what was called a studio for a year when I was 20. Mine seems to be different than the previous posters. My studio had a kitchen and living area, and a bedroom area with a bathroom and walk in closet. To me the only thing that made it different than a regular one bedroom was because the bedroom area did not have a door and it was less square feet. It was perfect for me at the time, as I moved out of my parents house and did not have alot of stuff to store, etc

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 7, 2011

$1,300 mortgage for 3 bedroom and two bath with a barn, shop, and over 3 acres. That is with a 15 year mortgage. I can't imagine that in rent. I did look at single bedroom apartment in my area...most were less than $600 and that included laundry, pool, and tennis courts.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 7, 2011

Yes, a separate bedroom is still my 1st choice. If I really had to get a studio, I could mk it work, but eh, we'll see. I could picture myself in a studio, but I wouldn't have any space to store any new clothes, shoes, bags, etc. :(