Anyone Have a Spouse/SO Who...?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2014

honestly doesn't care if you...

- open their mail?
    - looks through their cell phone?
    - looks through their email?
    - looks through their FB account?
    - even look through their wallet?

I'm just asking out of curiosity! I'm sure some will say that each partner should respect the other & give them their privacy. Others will say if a person's got nothing to hide, it shouldn't matter & if anyone can look through your stuff, well surely your spouse/SO should be able to.

I tend to believe in the latter myself. What does everyone think?

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 28, 2014

I do, but I don't look!! I open the mail-it is just easier!! He wouldn't mind the other, but I don't have the time or inclination!! It will be interesting to see the responses.:)

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2014

I have that type of spouse...and so does he! I just don't see the need.

5. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 28, 2014

I doubt he would care if I did, but I don't and I've never asked. We trust each other and we both enjoy our privacy.

I've known people that constantly snoop through their SO's FBs, instagram accounts, phones, etc. Good grief, who has time for all that? If I was that insecure or had reasons why I didn't trust someone I could not fathom continuing a relationship with them.

6. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 28, 2014

A bit off topic, but this got me thinking about FB joint couple accounts. I find them weird but I can't put my finger on why.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

I find it weird too... mostly because you never know which one is talking, or which one you're talking to.

I agree... I don't have time to be snooping in my wife's Facebook.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2014

I don't mind any of those things except when my husband opens my mail. I like to sort my mail when I get it and when he opens it and leaves it on the kitchen counter sometimes he puts whatever it is back in the envelope the wrong way (name not showing through the window) and I don't see that it's mine right away. Last time he did that with a check from my 2nd job and I almost didn't see it because I thought it was his envelope. I'd just rather open it myself so I know what it is and can put it on my desk for later perusal or throw it away, etc.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

I hate it when he goes through my purse! He's looking for the grocery receipts though. So, if I remember to put the receipts on the desk he doesn't go through my purse. :D Around his birthday or Christmas he hands me my purse.

I only go in his wallet if I need cash.

As for mail, it's mostly bills.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

My husband and I open mail because certain things are in my name or his name. If I think it might be related to taxes, I open it so I can file it how I want it. If he thinks it's a mortgage notice, he opens it.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

I've never felt I couldn't look at his accounts/mail. I would have no problem if he looked through my things as well. Sometimes if I'm bored and his phone is the only one around, I'll use his FB app to sooth my social media addiction. But it's difficult to read, because I don't know anyone and so it's just a bunch of personal news from strangers.

The only thing I don't like is that gps app that tells him where I am. I like to run a lot errands after school and he always gripes about where I'm going, so I took that off my phone pretty fast! ;)

12. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jan 28, 2014

We don't really care, however the only reason I'd rather him not is because if he's looking for something, NOTHING goes back where it was! This is why we have separate accounts on the computer too. I like everything neat and organized w/ folders & sub-folders, while he just saves everything to his desktop. Drives me bonkers!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2014

I didn't know there's such a thing as joint couple FB accts, but then, I'm not on FB enough to know.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2014

My husband does not have a FB or email account. He's VERY old school. I take care of everything and open everything. We don't go in each other's wallet or purse out of respect. Though, he's better at letting me in his wallet than I am in his purse. He never answers my phone, but always let me answer his. I don't care if he does, he just doesn't.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 28, 2014

We wouldn't mind of the other went through stuff, we just don't have any need to, nor any want to. I like that we each have some privacy. We open mail for each other, or will borrow phones or something, but I don't go digging through his email or social media, and he doesn't mine, though we know each others' passwords (at least, ones we use for other stuff) so we could, we just don't want to.

16. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 28, 2014

I agree with this. It's not something to hide, but if you feel like you NEED to snoop around, there's already a problem. I'm not talking about opening mail for the household or answering a text for you when you're driving, but purposely looking through and checking on everything. Some privacy is important and I don't think this is healthy.