Anyone have a side-business?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissFroggy, Jun 10, 2012.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2012

Boy, it's been awhile! I'm wondering if anyone has a side-business and how they balance the workload with teaching?

Do you ever take personal days to manage the business? Do you hire co-workers or get clients from your school?

What's your business and it is small (under a couple thousand a year, medium, changes your tax bracket a little, big, changes your tax bracket a lot!)

I'd be curious to see what people say! I know Jem does Sprout and did that while teaching and while not teaching... don't know about anyone else!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2012

Tutoring is my 'side business'. I tutor up to ten or twelve hours a week...at $70 per hour, that's a nice chunk of change.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2012

Wow! That's pretty great! You do that after school?

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 10, 2012

I do as a performing artist / dance teacher. Have done it for 7 years, actually lived off of it for 4 years, then when the economy started going South and I was finishing my credential, I started working as a classroom assistant, subbing, etc. I used to clear 10-15 K after expenses, then it started going down, now it's much less. It did change tax brackets, I actually get back a lot more, even though I declared a profit for every year except for the first one.

It hasn't interfered with working / teaching, because it is in the evenings / weekends and I get to chose my own hours anyways.
    It's fun, very different from teaching, so it's a great balance.
    The only interference I have seen is that being so tired, and preoccupied with other stuff I am either not able to answer the phone any time (working) or I'm not as quick as I used to, or even forget sometimes!! Which is a problem because I lose out on things, but oh well.
    I also feel that it is now on the backburner; obviously I will focus more on the job that pays me more, and you can't teach if you don't make that a priority. But my side business is still a great supplement income wise, and I still love it, so it keeps me happy.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2012

Yup. 2-3 hours a day, Monday thru Thursday. Starting to slow for the summer, but we'll pick back up in August.:)

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2012

I wish tutoring paid more here! In my rural area, $20/hour is considered pretty good...

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2012

I get paid $20/hour here. That's through my school. I've earned that or a little more when I did private tutoring.

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

I'd like to run a little ice cream cart in the summer. Some year I'll actually do it.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2012

haha Mary - Bf and I talk about this all the time, too. We said an ice cream truck would be the perfect summer business for a teacher. Maybe we should go into business together! lol.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 10, 2012

My side business is keeping the house clean and feeding whoever shows up at feeding time. It does not pay well at all.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2012

It may not pay well monetarily, but the rewards are great. Sometimes I demand payment. . .a hug & a kiss. (from my 16 yr. old DS & 20 yr. old DD who sometimes does the dishes).

13. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Jun 10, 2012

I tutor ($45 an hour. I am thinking about raising it, but $45 seems reasonable) and sell Scentsy (www.scentsy.com/elizabethcampbell)

During the week I am VERY busy, and weekends give me a chance to slow down a bit, but it is definitely a lot and I hope that I can focus on just teaching at some point in the future. :)

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2012

I have the same side job and same low pay!

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

Not me, but my boyfriend loans money to people and charges them an arm and a leg in interest. He's always pretty busy collecting on payday;)

16. alisa

alisa Rookie

Jun 10, 2012

I sell Wickless candles and I just started an embroidery business. It keeps me busy. I sell most of my stuff to teachers and now doing a lot of t-shirts for teachers, coaches and sports team.
    As far as income, I work a few hours a month (with my candle business) usually gives me about two thousand/ month.
    I thing the main thing is to make sure you make time for yourself and family.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 10, 2012

Sorry, but the way this is worded it sounds pretty sketchy! I'm sure he works for a reputable company??

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 11, 2012

I've started a little photography biz. Nothing major. I take the pics, edit and put them on a CD for them to print whatever they want. I just got my camera in March. Started doing a few things for free to build a portfolio and it's spread from there. I've done pre-prom pics, a couple of senior portraits, a wedding, a vow renewal, a little girl and her baby brother, a couple of couples. I'm enjoying it.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2012

Not really a side business, but I'm picking up Hospital Homebound next year. Pay is pretty nice.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

Mine is freelance writing; I work it around my schoolwork.

Peter works part time with the photo studion that does a number of local yearbooks, and does some freelance photography as well. He has business cards and stationary. He works a lot of school events, does Little League pictures, and the occasional wedding/ sweet 16/ engagement party/ whatever. He also does shoots for the local Catholic Newspaper-- anything from ordinations to parish fairs. But it's most definitely a side business, and does not interfere with school.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

Mine is teaching driver's ed. :) I do both in class and in car training, and I love it. Very different from teaching English, so it's a nice break. Starting a class this morning at 8:00 am...

22. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 1, 2012

I do test scoring in the spring/early summer. Am also planning to start an Etsy business in the next few months.

23. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 1, 2012

I tutor after school during the school year...2 hours a day at $25/hour 4 days a week. I've just started sewing fabric headbands, pillowcase dresses, monogramming and embroidering, so I'm hoping that will help as well. I have an Etsy shop, I just need to add more to it.

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I'm thinking of selling Mary Kay.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

I teach piano lessons one evening a week, and am the substitute organist at my church. I play at least one service a month.

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 1, 2012

My husband and I are running a lawn care business this summer. We mow and take care of lawns. We have 7-11 foreclosures that we do each week and we just agreed to do the housecleaning on them once a month. They are empty and already deep cleaned, so basically we mop and sweep. We won't clean the houses when school starts, but we can do the lawns after school. The contract with the bank bring in $240-390 a week and it isn't that hard.

27. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

I recently left my position at an elementary school, but after work I had several in-home clients that I would visit. I was hired by a home health company and would normally work an extra six hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes less....at $60 a half hour, not a bad gig!)

I also lend out my services on my own, agency free, and I base my rates on each individual client depending on the situation.

On the other side, I play harp professionally and have been playing gigs for a few years now. My clientele is mostly comprised of friends' parents for anniversaries and cocktail parties (lol) but I'm not looking to work full-time with it so it works out good for me!

28. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

I have considered taking on students for lessons (I have dabbled in it in the past), but I am unsure of my ability to be able to teach an instrument! I am so particular about music and the way it is played... I would probably pull a Joe Jackson and break out a yard stick, haha.

29. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

I have been contemplating starting to use etsy. How does it work and is it expensive?

30. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 4, 2012

It's $.20 per item you list and then 3.5% fee of the final sale price. It has been easy to set up work! I enjoy doing it on the side. It lets me make things on my time and put them up as I finish them.