Anyone have a job in MI???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Purposeinteach, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I know that Michigan is one of the hardest states to find a teaching job in. I have had 4 interviews, including 1 from yesterday that is almost a shoe-in, but they are waiting to see if they have the numbers to fill the class.

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten a job and what grade and district was it in???

Thanks! :D

3. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 16, 2012

I wish. I have had a total of one interview for a part time position since receiving my certification last September. I didn't get the job. It's a tough market, but I am glad to hear when others have success. Gives me hope.

4. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

To be honest, most, if not all, of the people that I know who have gotten jobs in public schools in MI within the last 1-2 years have gotten it because of who they know or they have done interning or long term sub jobs at that particular school. Some people have gotten jobs at brand new charter schools though.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

That has been going on for much, much longer than 1-2 years. There were 3 times as many jobs in MI this year than there was when I graduated in 2006.

I had 4 interviews in MI this year. No job offers. I was second place twice :down:

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

My aunt is a counselor in Detroit. She's had the job for a long time.

7. live

live Companion

Aug 17, 2012

There are jobs; it's just super hard to find them. I was just hired in Michigan. At first I was solely applying to anything and everything that popped up on K12 jobspot, but then I also started looking directly on websites of managing/hiring companies (e.g. Leona Group, MEP Services, National Heritage Academies). I also emailed, posted my resume, and did whatever I could to sniff out unposted positions.

I had 8 interviews before I landed my current position. A few interviews were with random schools that liked my resume but didn't know me, and others were at schools where I had subbed. Some of it was luck (timing and need), and reaching out to people. A few principals told me that there are so many great teachers here who can do a great job that they're really just looking for someone who has the right chemistry.

I applied to over 300 open positions (logged each one), so they do exist!

8. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

I was a long term for 6 months in the district I did student teaching in then I taught Summer school for them all Summer.

I got hired in the district next door. It definitely helped that I had experience with young children, know another language fluently, and am working on my ZA/ZS and ESL endorsements.

Keep applying. Schools will have teachers report back next week or so. They'll have additional classrooms or resignations.

Good luck!

9. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

10. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I do think who you know can make a huge difference, especially in Michigan. I guess I better get to know a lot more people if this is going to happen for me.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

Over the last 12 years I have worked at 3 different schools. I've never known anybody on staff before I was hired. I think sometimes it's just a matter of when they get your resume.

I applied to the school that I am currently working at two different times over the course of one summer. Two different posting. They interviewed me after the 2nd time. It was almost exactly the same cover letter & resume.

You just have to keep plugging away. I agree with what Purpose said, you can't just go to the county ISD websites, check out MAPSA, management companies etc. Check the universities that charter schools, you can find the principal's name on their websites.

Good luck!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

Oh- the jobs are there. The problem is the thousand(s) of other people applying for each of those positions!