Anyone have a inexpensive idea for a water table?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, May 22, 2011.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

May 22, 2011

I would love to have a water/sand table in my classroom but they are so expensive. Does anyone know where I can get one for under $50 or less? Or maybe an idea how to make one? Thanks. :help:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

Could you simply put one of this large shallow rubbermaid type containers on top of a classroom table?

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 22, 2011

I bought a small table at a garage sale for $3. I then screwed a Rubbermaid tub onto it and put sand in. When I wanted to put water, I put a plastic sheet down on the bottom. Super easy, super cheap.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 22, 2011

We have a container with a small lip....it happens to be a container that was previously a lakeshore water table, but it doesn't have to be. Then we measured and my hubby and sons made a frame out of pvc and joints. Works great!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 22, 2011

I know we have discussed this before. I had a friend make a small water table. He lined it with some waterproof stuff.

I like to use NEW, UNUSED cat litter trays. The sides are excellent for use as a water table.

7. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 22, 2011

I just got the step 2 water tables off of Craigslist and use those outside. I spent $15 for 2 of them and they work fine. I have a different set up for my sensory bin which is much deeper. I purchased an under the bed storage bin from target. I think it was about 10-15 dollars. Then I was lucky enough to find an old base for a sensory table for cheap because it was missing the bin. Obviously you wont be able to do that, but all you really need to do is take a coffee table and screw some wooden rods around the edge to keep the bin from shifting and you're good. This way you can take the bin out to wash it, and you don't have to worry about it leaking. Here's a picture of my sensory table so you can see what I'm talking about. (FYI, this was after our experiment with goop. A lot of fun, but super messy) One problem with that though is that it can't really be left outside. The wood will warp. If you want something to leave outside, you could either build one yourself from treated wood or make a housing using PVC pipes.
    Hope that helps!

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 22, 2011

Like the tarp stuff for ponds I bet.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 22, 2011

On a related note, my light table is a coffee table that has the old 1970s magazine compartment inside. We took off the top, added opaque plexi and an uplight! Boom....works great!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 23, 2011

ECE teachers are sure creative. I think that must be a job requirement.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2011

If you don't want to go broke, it definitely is! :lol:

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 23, 2011

My principal got a little mad at me this year because I was upset with the new rule that we could no longer we reimbursed with stuff we buy on Craigs list or garage sales, etc. even with receipts. I bought a glass coffee table last summer and turned it into a light table, a new playground feature, a coffee table to use as a science table, baskets for storage, a kids' sofa for my reading corner, and an outdoor rug to use for quiet play/reading corner and more. New rule they didn't tell us about and I couldn't get my money back. Arrrr! Guess they will all go home with me when I leave. I argued the rule because I bought all of that stuff for less than one would cost new but that didn't endear me to the principal. :whistle: Had to try, though because I hate the way we waste money when we don't need to. :| For example, we have to buy our general supplies fromt he district warehouse because they can buy in bulk and it "saves" money - but I can buy glue, markers, etc. for a fraction of the cost during the summer sales. :dizzy:

13. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 23, 2011

Awesome idea! Thanks!!!!

14. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

May 23, 2011

15. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

May 23, 2011

Thanks everyone! Great ideas!