Anyone have a craft hobby?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 19, 2009

I would love to hear what other people on here do for craft hobbies? :)

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

Now that I have more free time I've been trying to get into working on my miniature dollhouse, but my progress has been very slow. At some point I will finish it, although I may give up on the electricity in it as that has been my biggest headache so far.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2009

As a child, I made dogs made out of yarn & wire clothing hangers. My mom's best friend's mom taught me! But I haven't done that in yrs!

My BF loves building WWII plane models & does the whole diorama including the worn out/weathered look w/ shrubbery, dirt, ponds, etc. His dream job would be to build sets for movies or animation artwork for animated movies.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2009

I do some scrapbooking very once in awhile. I need to start working on dh's Father's Day one. And I think I'm going to do some for presents.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 19, 2009

STG--- is that your dog sleeping in your avatar? He/she is adorable!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2009

Yes, he's sleeping! I just had to snap a pic since he had his tongue out. Thanks!

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

Nothing at the moment. When I first bought my house I'd go buy canvases of different sizes and just go to town with acrylics. But, I ran out of wall space!

9. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 19, 2009

Crocheting and fly tying.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

I love to knit, read, and cook. I do sew, but hate the mess. But my favorite is embroidery. It is so relaxing for me. I make lots of Christmas gifts and the kids love having their special pillow case. I am exploring cooking in the crock pot--using the 365 days of crock pot cooking. Those recipes are faboulous. Right now I am trying to perfect my Pai Thai recipe.

11. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

Does baking and decorating cakes count?

12. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Mar 19, 2009

It does if you make one to share with everyone here!:lol::lol::lol:

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

I mostly cross-stitch. I do some sewing, painting, scrapbooking, photography, and varous other things here and there.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

I used to cross-stitch, too. Then I got too busy, but maybe this summer...

I also used to hand-stitch baby quilts and sold them to make extra money. No time, now.

I also bought old furniture, stripped it, and repainted them wild colors. My niece would join me and we'd go to town on old piano benches and wooden chairs. I'll probably do that to a few pieces this summer.

I believe I will also take a water-color class this summer. I'll be close to some places in Maine that offer classes. I think I would enjoy that.

I'm not doing anything school-related. Total relaxation for me.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

I cross-stitch and sew, but not as much as I would like. I like to quilt and right now I am into making purses and tote bags. I made some cute aprons for Christmas presents.

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 19, 2009

I use to have hobbies...then I went to college. After college I thought I would have time to get back into them. Then I became a teacher.

In all honesty, I am trying so hard to find something to do as a hobby. I take ballet classes, cook, and scrapbook occassionally. I use to love to do photography and paint. One of these days I will paint again!!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 19, 2009

I really, really wish I knew how to knit. I was taught once, but I couldn't stay focused.

I love to fix up furniture. In fact, if my business takes off, I'll be doing a lot of that. I also love sewing without patterns, especially costumes. I have a dress form, but haven't had the space to spread out in a while. My wedding dress is on it at the moment, so until we get a few more rooms to spread out in, I'll have to keep it there.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2009

I cross stitch, crochet and knit. I also like to make candles- but haven't in awhile...
    I bead--made lanyards for my id badge for every outfit!! and I recently started quilling. (that's the rolled paper glued on it's side)

19. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

Jem, go to KnittingHelp.com - the site has a whole list of instructional videos that walk you through, step by step. I knit when the spirit moves me, but I rarely finish anything! I've learned to just enjoy the process. I used to sew and do cross stitch, but no time anymore. I advise a little club at school that started as a knit/crochet club about 6 years ago (hence the name "Sheep Club") but recently has become a more general crafts club. Okay, in truth, they mostly eat lunch in my room on Mondays, but in December they made and sold Reindeer-grams and raised $50 for a local charity.

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

I love to bead (mostly necklaces), scrapbook and cards. My problem is that I have a tiny house and all my supplies are either under my bed in large tubs or stuck in a corner and are very hard to get to. So I have to have a lot of time to get everything out, do my project and then put it all away. I wish I had a place where I could get everything out and leave it out when I need to quit, so that I could just come back to it when I have some time. So many times I think it is not worth the effort!