Anyone have a class pet?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by midwestteacher, Jan 21, 2008.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 21, 2008

Does anyone have a classroom pet? We have a junior high teacher that has a hampster in her classroom. He roams in his ball around the room during the class and the kids get to hold him during class if they are good (he likes to sleep in your lap). He seems to be an excellent addition to the classroom. She has often mentioned to me that the baddest kid in the class just loves to cuddle and will make extra efforts to behave so he can get his chance.

I have had several "pets" in the classroom. We had a giant praying mantis that we named Sister Mary Catherine. She was caught at the catholic church. We were in an entomology unit. They caught other insects to feed her and we kept her for about 2 months. We also had a wheeled assassin bug named Steve. Steve was vicious and would attack and kill bugs 5 times his size. It was cool. We have also hatched goslings and chickens in the classroom. I had a classroom of high school boys sitting at a table for an entire hour one day as we watched a gosling hatch out of the shell. They were amazed.

3. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jan 21, 2008

I could not imagine a classroom with out pets! I always have something...I keep on a daily basis 3 hamsters, a tank of gold fish and two guinea pigs. We had a nest of baby hamsters just before Christmas that the kids loved to watch! Most of those we gave to other teachers. Both guinea pigs had babies, they came from the pet store all ready pregnant. I have also had kittens, cats, puppies, dogs, ferretts, birds...just about everything except snakes! My aide will not allow the snakes! Too bad too because I love them!

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 21, 2008

I would love to have a classroom pet, but they're not allowed in my school because of allergies and the like.

5. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

I have a 30 gallon fish tank with about a dozen tropical fresh water fish. My class also wants a lizard, but maybe next year.

6. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 21, 2008

In the past we've had guinea pigs, goldfish, hermit crabs and, in a year where I was a bit overwhelmed with everything, pet rocks! The rocks were by far the easiest to care for. :)

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

Any Pet?

This is true
    I once had a cactus as a "class pet" :) (remember I am a shop teacher in Arizona) the kids would put glasses and a hat on "him", they addressed notes to him like Dear Abby since he was so tuff. they wrote notes trying to set him up with the roses in the neighbor's yard.

But he died from too much love :love: the kids would water him every time they could he was on the window sill by the Drinking fountain and he died :angel: of over watering.

His name was Spike

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2008

My African Water Clawfrog of about 12 years. He lives in a tank and I feed him worms, change his water once a week. He just lives on and on and on and on!!!!!!!!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

Irish Dave, I had a pet cactus too! My first year teaching I was looking for some pets for my classroom and I found this cactus with these weird features and it looked like a face, so I bought it. It also had a mini sombrero. I called it Mr. Cactus and during those awkward silences I would turn to Mr. Cactus and ask him what HE thought. haha.

I also had fish in my classroom too. No real reason - I teach English so it was really just for atmosphere, and the kids loved it. They were too much of a pain to take care of over breaks. I tried vacation feeders but I think it got too cold.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

I did a safety slide show (before power point) and Spike was the first slide like the producer the kids loved it

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 21, 2008

My classroom population dropped by one this past week. I have 2 rats, 2 box turtles, and tropical fish. I also had a black African millipede, Legs (or Stretch depending on which class you asked). He died this past week. He was close to 5 and from everything I have read he far outlived expectations. (Everything I read said 2 - 3 years.) We always have vistors, frogs, toads, turtles, lizards, snakes, etc.

12. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Jan 21, 2008

Just curious... those of you with pets that require a tank (fish, turtles, etc.), what do you do with it during long breaks and over the summer? Do you take the whole thing home? Do you leave it in your classroom and go to school to feed the pets every day?

I'm a first year teacher, and I always thought I would want to have a class pet when I had my own classroom, and I know my 4th graders would LOVE one, but it just seems like it would be kind of a hassle. I would love to get a turtle, cause I've had one before, and he was a great little pet. But to be honest, I wouldn't really want to mess with having to take an aquarium home over the long breaks and then setting it back up again, and right now, I live half an hour away from my school, so just running up to feed it in my classroom everyday would not be an option. I don't think a class pet is for me right now, but maybe when I've settled into teaching more.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 21, 2008

Over summer they come home with me. (Let me tell you, that's how you know your mama loves you, she's willing to "babysit" rats and a millipede!) Over holidays I go up and take care of them.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 18, 2008

Our classroom is the ONLY one in our building that has pets. We've had a rabbit, toads, guppies and now a rat. The rat was got so much press within a day that kids from all grades were asking him to visit. I've heard other teachers mention (and have seen it) that "it's not fair" that they don't have a class pet too. I just tell them that is up to their teacher but they can still visit ours sometimes. They just have to ask ahead. Many of the grade teachers have been great about asking. I guess it is easier than taking the responsibility themselves.

FYI, I NEVER thought I would like a rat much less fall in love with him. Ewwww. I changed my mind. They make wonderful pets. My husband asked me on a Friday morning, "SO, is TODAY the day you bring home the rat?" It's too hilarious to watch a grown man clean and redecorate a cage for hour just to watch a rodent get excited and play. If you choose wisely, it is not as much of a burden as you might imagine.

15. KristysRedBarn

KristysRedBarn Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

I stared the year out with four fish, the kids loved them. But last week the last two died. Not a one of them had the common decency to die over the weekend, they all died during class. Next year I'm thinking of getting a hamster or guinnea pig, but I don't want to take care of a pet over the summer this year since we're expecting a baby.

16. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Feb 18, 2008

There is one teacher in our building who has a turtle and some fish. I love going into her room to look at the animals. She teaches biology, so it kind of fits.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2008

I have a Grow a Frog.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 18, 2008

I had a 10 gallon aquarium, but I downsized it to a 2.5 gallon. I have kept guppies in it some, and I've had neon tetras, too. In the summer I bring the fish home and put them in my 55 gallon tank. Normally I can't catch them come school time again, so I just buy more.

19. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Feb 20, 2008

Almost no one is allergic to non-mammalian pets--snakes, lizards, and so on. Fish are especially safe in this regard, as are marine frogs.

OTOH, my daughter was in the dorm at UC Santa Cruz, where the rule was no pet that could not stay underwater for 7 minutes. They have a lot of biology students there, and I think some of them were getting creative about "pets".

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2008

That's what my African Clawfrog is and he is now about 15 years old. He lives on live angleworms.

21. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Mar 6, 2008

Wow, a pet is such a great idea.

I teach at a Juv. Det. Center. I'd be afraid my kids would steal him.

22. goodapple

goodapple Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I love reading about these pets!

I like the cactus idea. I might have to do that.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 8, 2008

You know what I learned about Cactus?

Little critters (and in the great wide open... bigger critters) like to get up and breed inside of them. For bulging ones, immediately clear the area.

Okay, that was scary. I doubt that fits the definition of the little table top ones. It was scary enough for me to understand why the base didn't allow them in the base housing back yards on a desert installation post. (They also don't like the big ones mangling the water pipes below).