Anyone have a Betta fish?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Special-t, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

This is my Betta, Tazz.
    [​IMG]

I'm currently treating Tazz for a mild case of Fin Rot. I wasn't adding anything to his water (tap water filtered with Brita) and sometimes I was going 2 weeks between cleaning. I've started adding aquarium salt and Aquarisol to his water and I'm doing full water changes every 3-4 days. I've ordered Tetracycline and a Betta First Aid Kit from www.bettatalk.com.

I keep Tazz in a really nice 3 gallon tank called a Picotope. It's not big enough for a filter, but it stays clean longer than a typical 1 gallon bowl (and I like him having a nice big space to enjoy). Tazz has a rock sculpture and 2 fake plants. I have a desk lamp with a dimmer set up behind his tank so I can regulate the water temperature. The Picotope comes with a small heat lamp, but I don't like how it looks.

This is my first Betta, Clyde (RIP) in the Picotope.
    [​IMG]

3. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

I used to have a beta (RIP Mozart) and I kept him in an aquarium with a filter and light. He lived for a couple years (I have no idea if that's good or bad for a beta). Tazz is very pretty colors! Mozart was red, but he looks orange--awesome!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 24, 2009

I had one that lived for almost 5 years. He knew when I would come home and would zip around his bowl. His name was LeonSplendors.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2009

I have a betta, too! I have to admit, I am not good about keeping his bowl clean. They are a hearty fish though! My little guy is named Bao Ju: (that is Mandarin for Firecracker) He is a beautiful purple/blue. My kindees adore him! :)

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

5 years! You were lucky. Clyde (my blue Betta) lived 2-3 years - I read that's about average. I wish he'd lived 5. He had such a punky stubborn personality - I was so sad when he died. Now I'm getting attached to Tazz. I hope his Fin Rot clears up.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

Tazz looks orange in the photo, but he's devil red with blue highlights on his gills. I bet having a filter makes it a lot easier to keep the tank clean! The treatment for Fin Rot (in an unfiltered tank) requires bi-weekly full water changes for about 4 weeks.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 25, 2009

Ok... My daughter is going to respond to this (she is home from college and raises Bettas).....

First off, it's wonderful to see that you're keeping him in such a large tank! The "designer bowls" at the chain stores make me cry (they probably have a 1/4 gallon, at most).

They do sell filters for 3 gallon tanks; http://www.petco.com/product/13868/Tetra-Whisper-In-tank-Filters.aspx You want the 3i. Once it's set up correctly, it works beautifully. On top of keeping the water cleaner (and requiring less changes), bettas are much more active with slight water circulation (the one in my 5 gallon is infinitely different with his filter!).

He's a gorgeous boy; he looks exactly like the one I lost just before fall semester.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2009

I had Jackson for 4 years. He was a gorgeous blue and green beastie! They can be like dogs - he knew when I came home and would zoom around his tank. I would put my hand in the bowl and he would swim over and lay in my hand. For treats, he would swim to the top, with his mouth right up at the water line, and open and close his mouth a few times. He was awesome. Miss him.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 25, 2009

I had a blue one named James. My brother got him for me...after I got him 2 which he named "Your Mother", and "Shaq." lol

He lived for a few years...but then he died one morning :(

I had him in a large tank with a filter. I can't stand to see those fish in a small 8oz cup...makes me sad.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 25, 2009

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2009

I have read Bettas like water circulation. I have a Petco just a few blocks away. I'm going to look for the 3i. Does your daughter have any response to my Fin Rot treatment plan? I wonder if she's ever dealt with it.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 25, 2009

Fin Rot... What is that, exactly?

We had one for well over a year. A middle school student brought him to me at the beginning of last year, and he moved from the school to our apartment in the city, and then over here. We called him Fish. He was very uninspired, but dh took care of him. He just died last week, and we noticed his fins looked weird right before it happened. I wonder if that's what he had?

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2009

My Clyde took on a different look before he died. His color got dull. I could tell he was nearing his end. It was so sad. He may have lived longer if I'd done weekly water changes and treated his water :-(

Regarding Tazz's Fin Rot - it is a bacterial infection caused infrequent water changes (toxins). It's a very common disease for Bettas, I think because most don't live in tanks with filters. The edges of the fins get dark and curled and they start looking tattered. In extreme cases, the fins shrink and the rot travels to their body.

I started adding Aquarium salt last week - it helps their immune system. And I'm adding a water conditioner that will help him keep a healthy slime coat on his body to protect against fungus and bacteria. The Aquarisol (a preventative against bacterial diseases) should arrive today, along with the Tetracyline (treats the actual Fin Rot).

I'm surprised by how much I love my Bettas :wub: