Anyone happy with their compensation/pay plan?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kimberlyalice, Jun 9, 2012.

1. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

Thanks for taking the moment to read this post. My school is looking at revamping our teacher compensation policy. What do you like or dislike about yours? Do you have a link to a district's policy that you like instead? I work at an independent private school and I am on the committee to help submit a new policy to our Board of Directors for 2013-2014. Thank you for your vents, suggestions, links, etc!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2012

Are you looking at changing the salary scale or changing insurance benefits, or maybe changing how often/when you are paid, or how much the district chips in towards retirement? Maybe you could be a little more specific about what parts of the compensation package you are looking to change. That might give us a direction for our thoughts.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2012

I like being paid on the 15th and the 30th (or the Friday before if they land on a weekend).

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2012

My salary guide is quite competitive. At any step on the guide, faculty members can get higher pay by taking approved graduate and inservice classes. So on each step there is a base amount and then additional pay raises for Ba+15, +30, +45, +60, and the same increments for Masters plus...up to Masters +60 at which point you are making the max at each step. I'm not at the top of our scale yet, but I'm at Masters +60 on step 12... A few more years to the top of scale.:)
    We also have stipend positions...student council, some clubs, dismissal duty that teachers can take on to earn a few extra $$. I do afterschool dismissal and make about $250 extra a month for that.
    We get paid on the 15th and 30th as well although sometimes I think d like the option of my pay being spread out so i could be paid in the summer as well.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2012

We are paid all summer, which I love. We still get our checks on the 15th and the 30th in the summer. Our pay is just spread out into 24 pays instead of 20.

7. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Jun 9, 2012

We get paid twice monthly and our paychecks are spread out to cover throughout the summer as well. I love that part!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2012

We get paid once a month and during the summer...I have no issues with that.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

I picked being paid over 10 months rather than 12. I don't have trouble saving and I'd rather have as much money possible in case an emergency arose.

10. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

Thanks for the questions and comments. As you know, many districts across the U.S. is looking into merit pay...many already have base salaries with steps, tenure, etc. We don't have anything structured, yet. We need to figure out how to come up with a policy, but I was hoping for your ideas and what already works. If you could come up with your perfect teacher compensation plan, what would it be or do you already have it? (401K, insurance, dental, excluded.)
    Thank you!

11. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

Thanks! This is very helpful and good job getting near the top!

12. Starnexus

Starnexus Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

I work at a private school and yes I'm very happy with my compensation package.