Anyone going to school or district meetings, events, trainings, this summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2013

How many of you are going to school or district meetings, events, trainings, etc. this summer? Getting paid for it?

I briefly considered going to a big content-area professional development thing for a week. Participants would get paid for going. In the end I decided not to because it was just too soon after school let out. If they had it in the end of July or something, I probably would have done it.

Our admin has asked all teachers to return to school two days before our mandatory report date. They will be paying us our hourly rate of pay for those two days, which will be nice. The bad thing is that the new first day back is also my wedding anniversary. :( Oh well.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

Nothing planned until time to go back.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

This year the summer PD offered for teachers at my school is during the first two weeks after school ends. I'm out of town for both weeks.

Plus, our school is under construction and my room won't be finished before school begins...

Too bad, so sad...I'll just have to enjoy my summer without any school activities :lol:

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

I did two days the first week we were out, two days with curriculum adjustments, one day last week, and two days this week. Heading to Chattanooga for two days the following week, and then one day the next week. It was supposed to be two days that week, too, but I have jury duty the second day. After that, I'm free until the last week of July when we all have four days. Then the kids are back!

I get paid for the curriculum days. Everything else counts for professional development (need 24 hours) or non-instructional (need 30 hours) for next year.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

My district doesn't offer anything so I wouldn't even if I were returning. I am working summer school for the four weeks of June. We had some optional summer school pd/planning days the week after school got out that we would have gotten paid for. I would have gladly gone for the extra money, but I had friends from out of town staying with me that week so I opted out.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2013

Our last day under contract was Friday. Tomorrow (Monday) I will begin 4 days straight of PD. then I have another 7 days planned in July. I applied to be a math mentor for my school and I have to get 100 hours of math PD between now and next May. With everything I'm doing I should be close to half done before school starts again. I then have to get my new room done.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

Could you please explain your non-instructional hours?

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 9, 2013

I am taking a number of PD classes. Some people laugh at me at work, but I never have to worry about my recertification hours, lol. I'm changing grades, so I figure that every little bit will help! Also, the district pulled any stipends for any PDs, so many of the more popular classes are suddenly much easier to get into! :D

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 9, 2013

I'll be taking a week of classes and getting Orton Gillingham training and certification.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

We have to do 4 days of PD every summer on our own time, but they count as part of our contract for the next school year so we are paid. We are required to get 10 days a year by the state.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 9, 2013

I got a letter in my box on the last day telling me, "Congratulations! You've been selected to attend a one day PD on Crisis Intervention." Haha. Yeah, right. It's probably my turn for a summer PD day. :p

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

I have a stupid number of things happening:

• 6 hours of literacy PD for a reading grant that I got. If I go I get $900 for my classroom library.
    • Four weeks of summer school.
    • 2 full days TBD where I go and figure out how my school is going to do Common Core.
    • 1 full day where I attend a district event and give PD on our new evaluation system.

I get paid for all of it, but it's a lot. I'm considering declining the district PD day. :dizzy: I also have grad school orientation to worry about.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

Our students attend more than the number of minutes required every day, so we have five days (30 hours) the teachers can work without students. We count in-service days over the required 24 and anything extra we do, like work ball game gates.

I'm in one of the rural areas that often misses for snow, so most years we use those days for whole district teacher work days when we go in after main roads clear, but rural bus routes are slick. The past two winters have been mild, so we have had to get our hours wherever we can. Some teachers this year worked the five days after the students went home for summer.

I do too much on my own time. I'm always way over my PD and non-instructional hours. :dizzy:

15. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 9, 2013

We did 5 buy back days...we had 5 days furloughed about 3 years ago so this year our union negotiated these 5 days of "PD" at the end of the school year. They were optional though. I went to all 5. One day was on productive group work, 1 day was on ELA common core and 2 days of math cc. I also did 2 days of ELD benchmark assessment creating for next year. All these days were paid. I am now officially off until August 5:) (But I will go in over the summer to do some work)

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 10, 2013

On my agenda so far:
    -9 hours of interviews tomorrow (not paid)
    -7-hour data retreat on Wednesday (paid)
    -We are all getting our own Mac Airbook this month, so each Wednesday morning from 9-10 an "Attack the Mac" workshop is being offered (not paid).
    -A 30-hour CCSS ELA training/planning session one week in August (paid)

I think that's it! I'm also taking 2 classes, working 35 hours/week at my 2nd job, and planning a wedding. :D

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 10, 2013

Now that I got my new job on June 7th, I'll have to work the upcoming 3 wks this month, but I'll have all of July off.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2013

I'm looking at a couple of things, but need to work around my daughter's schedule somewhat. We don't get paid for any PD, but our teachers' federation (union) runs some excellent PD during summer months that is only $75 for 3 full days (breakfast and lunch included).

19. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 10, 2013

I'm doing a 4 day technology workshop later this month (unpaid).
    I'm doing a 5 day teacher academy next month that our new superintendent wants all teachers to do this summer (paid).

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 10, 2013

We don't usually get paid-there are some exceptions for programs that you have to apply for and that last more than a day or 2. I am signed up to attend one that's 4 days (unpaid) and I would love to get some fresh ideas-but as others have said I'm teaching summer school, so I really would like more of that time I have left over to be slated for "break". I do like the idea of knocking out hours before school starts because my campus has made it harder to attend anything during the school year.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 10, 2013

I had the choice between teaching summer school and working on curriculum changes to Common Core. I chose summer school. However, I'll probably be in the loop since I'll be online.

22. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 10, 2013

There are two optional days the week before school starts that we can get paid for. I'll go because I like to know everything before the year starts, and it's $500.

23. DruOct9

DruOct9 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013

I will be attending a SIOP (sheltered instruction observation protocol) in San Antonio this week.

24. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 10, 2013

So, do most of you not get paid at all in the summer? We have our yearly pay divided up into 12 equal payments so we still get a paycheck during the summer months.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2013

I get paid over 12 months. When it comes to extra meetings and trainings, though, I get paid more, on top of my regular paycheck.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2013

Yes, I get paid each month. But if the date of a summer meeting, PD, or other event isn't part of the official school calendar, I don't at all consider that part of my regular duties. I think I should be paid additional money for additional work.

27. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 10, 2013

We have the 10 or 12 month option. I prefer the 12 months.

28. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 10, 2013

I'm taking an ESL prep workshop for two days this week. It's not offered by my district but through Region 10. This is the only PD so far I'll be doing over the break but if anything else catches my interest I'll attend.

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 10, 2013

We are limited to a 10 month salary - no other options. I would prefer being paid over 12 months, but we are okay on my husband's salary in the summer.

30. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 10, 2013

We don't get paid for PD.

I already did a middle school reading/writing workshop.

There's a three-day conference at the beginning of July that I'm going to.

And I'm going to a two-day Shakespeare workshop.

And that's it unless something else pops up.

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 10, 2013

I'm attending one training on my own time and dime. I have two district trainings that I'll be paid for, and possibly two half day trainings in August.

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 10, 2013

I have 2 days this week (paid $100 each day, paid through a grant our district received).

I have 1 day next week (not sure if it is paid, or not ... if so, it will be another $100).

I have 3 days in July (not paid).

I have 1 day in July (paid, something like $25/hour, paid by district).

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2013

We get 12 monthly payments, paid equally September through August. Our June, July, and August checks are paid in one lump sum in June.

34. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 10, 2013

Hmmm. Interesting. I definitely prefer getting 12 paychecks instead of 10, but as public employees we are officially only entitled to one month of vacation, so technically they could call us in for PD or other stuff in July and not have to pay us more.

35. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 10, 2013

We get paid 12 months. I chose the option to be paid twice a month, because I tried the once per month option, and it nearly killed me! In the past, I have used the extra $$ I earned at some of my PDs to purchase stuff for my classroom or for Christmas money. This year, no payment for any PDs. :(

36. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2013

I'm going to Teacher's College for a week. My school is paying for it but I'm not getting paid for my time.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 10, 2013

I found out today, I'll only work 2 days/week this month! Yay! Wasn't ready to work too much again already! :dizzy:

38. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 10, 2013

I am going to a training that will be 6 days in total - 3 in August and then 3 in October. We don't go back to school until after labour day, so I am giving up 3 days of my summer. Technically we are paid for summer.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2013

Going to a one day peer coaching academy day...this is a follow up to last year's 3 day academy and aching visits this year. I'll get a stipend for attending.

40. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 10, 2013

We can choose 10 month or 12 month pay, but I don't think they can call us in, legally, outside of our 200 contracted days without reimbursement.

HOWEVER, I am voluntarily taking 4 days (1 mandatory with regular pay) of APL training at the end of July with a stipend of $300 total because I have had it before (several years ago) and it was, hands-down, the most beneficial PD I've ever had.

I don't usually take PD in the Summer unless it's mandated, although I do spend my own time reading professional material and seeking to improve professionally! :thumb:

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2013

:thumb: I'm a little jelly.