Anyone Gluten-Free?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Mrs_Goatess, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

In November, my husband was diagnosed with celiac disease. Since then, we've done our best to live without wheat, oats, barley, etc. etc. etc.

Does anyone else here have experience with someone allergic to gluten? Care to share recepies or talk about eating out?

I wanted to express also how ignorant some people are about their food. I'm come under the impression that many people don't know what bread is made out of ("I'm allergic to wheat, so I can't have bread." "What toast would you like?") or that fresh fruits, veggies or meat don't secretly have wheat growing inside them ("Can you eat broccoli? I know you're allergic to wheat..." "Well, can you eat beef?")

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

I had a student who was on a gluten free diet (one of the 'Autism diets').

He never ate out with us or ate a school lunch, but he usually brought meals from home for lunch. He usually brought vegetables and steak/chicken/ham, pork rinds/regular Lays potato chips....

His parents did say that they had a hard time finding food for him to eat but with only being 8 years old, he could recognize most ingredients that he could not eat.

I don't have any recipes or places he could eat out but I could tell you what treats your husband can eat :).

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I did hear that Autism is somehow linked to gluten-intolerance.

Most gluten-intolerance is caused by physical trama, from what I've read, and is rarely a problem from birth. Both my husband and mother had major surgery and became intolerant to both gluten and lactose months (or years in my husband's case) later.

edit: He misses lots of treats. (We had to take down from the wall a picture from our wedding of us eating cake.) What treats do you know? :p :thanks:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

My best friend's son is on the spectrum and is highly allergic to gluten.
    Trader Joe's is a store that you should check out. They have lists of various products they sell that are ok to choose.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

I will ask my friend for some desserts to try. I know she makes a certain "chocolate" cake using carob.

7. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I know he wanted chicken and dumplings last week. We tried with this buckwheat flour, which is really dark brown. We took pictures when we were done; it was one of those things you had to see to believe. We poured it down the sink; it looked like the sink had backed up!

I know we shop at Whole Foods, which just started having this huge line of gluten-free baked goods. We drive 40 miles to get there, but it SO worth it! (My baking sucks, even with wheat!)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

Do you have a 'Whole Foods' grocery store near you? My wheat free kid's mom shopped there regularly.

9. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

We have a local "Natural Market" that has a decent bread and Amy's pizza, and Whole Foods is about 40 miles away, so we ago about every two months and stock up.

10. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

My husband is diabetic and on a low-glycemic diet. I have found that low carb recipies are helpful. Recently I made cookies using ground almonds as "flour". They were very light and tasted pretty good. I can post the recipie if you'd like.

11. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

Lovely! A few months ago a thoughtful friend was having a birthday party, and made a special cake made with nuts as "flour" just for him. (On her birthday, bless her heart.) I never got the recipie from her; I'd love yours!

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

Ok, here you go:

Ingredients:

1 stick butter (1/4 lb)
    1 C Splenda
    1 egg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    8 oz. slivered almonds, finely ground

How To Prepare:
    Cream butter and Splenda. Add egg and beat to combine. Add cinnamon and vanilla. Grind almonds in a food processor to flour-like consistency, then add to mixture. Drop by generous tsps. onto a baking sheet.Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 min. or until the edges are slightly brown. Cool and enjoy.
    Number of Servings: 18-20 cookies

Since you're mainly concerned with gluten, you can probably use sugar instead of Splenda. I don't have a food processor, so I ground the almonds in a coffee grinder/spice mill. I can't post a link to the website I got the recipe from, but it's lowcarbfriends dot com.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 11, 2006

My doctor suspected I had celiac disease a few years ago so I had some experience with gluten-free eating. Mainly I just tried the gluten-free products that replaced regular products (like rice pasta etc.) I did find a bunch of gluten-free recipes online (wish I still had them for you but I don't).

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2006

15. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

In defense of waiters and waitresses...It is all a verbal routine that they recite no less than 30 times a day. Besides some people may feel slighted if they aren't offered to them (I waitressed for 6+ years--you never know what will upset people). My mom avoids wheat and dairy and I consider myself fairly aware of ingredients (in comparison to the general population) and I still slipped up when someone told me about their dietary concerns. It's all about the routine.

Regarding the meat comment...my friend who was avoiding gluten discovered that the chicken breasts she used to buy were marinated in something that contained wheat. I know it all seems annoying to you but people just want to be very careful. They would hate to mess up by feeding your husband something that would harm him. Honestly if it were me/my spouse I'd rather have people go overboard in being careful than to carelessly serve something that could make me sick.

16. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I have severe allergies to many things and because of my uber-sensitive system I avoid high gluten and some dairy products as they cause me trouble. I make my own breads from corn and soy flour (got a bread machine for about $20) and I buy gluten free pastas and such. Since I watch my sodium very closely, this all fits in well since I make all my food from scratch.

I don't have true gluten intolerance - just sensitivity - so I don't have any recipies for truly gluten free foods. But I wish you luck - I know there are a lot of websites out there.

~J

17. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 16, 2006

I have a friend with celiac, I can definately get recipes and ideas from her. She just went away for the summer, and it seems that she took a whole suitcase of gluten free foods with her overseas! There is plenty out there.

For her birthday, her mother does something really cool, but it will only work if you have a store that will cooperate with it-her mother makes rice krispies treats at home, and goes to a store that sells ice cream cakes with it. The store makes the ice cream part of the cake on top of her treats, and it comes out really good. She's been doing this for years!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 16, 2006