Anyone Get Part of the Reebok EasyTone Settlement?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2012

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I never had those shoes, but I have a pair of Skechers...I like them a lot...I never expected to lose weight or get a firmer butt however by simply buying a new pair of sneakers...I bought mine when a group of my colleagues started a lunchtime walking group...and I wore those Skechers pretty much EVERY school day, fitness walking for 35-40 minutes...yes, I'd say I toned up some...was it due to just the shoes? No....I put in the work.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Yeah, I think that people looking for a quick fix should really KNOW better.

No pair of sneakers is going to do the work for you.

It's scary sometimes to see what people will fall for.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

I might be wrong, but I think the lawsuit was because they were severely misaligning people's ankles or knees or something, not because people didn't lose weight.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

Arg, ok, I was wrong. Faith in humanity destroyed again...

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I didn't read the whole link, but here's the first paragraph:

"Reebok International Ltd., a unit of Adidas AG, has agreed to pay $25 million to settle a Federal Trade Commission lawsuit that charges that the company’s “toning” shoes do not reshape customers’ bodies as advertised."

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

That's what I thought too.

While I wouldn't be gullible to believe that shoes would make one lose weight or tone up, it was false advertisement. However, I though companies were allowed to make whatever claims they wanted as long as it didn't specify specific illnesses or that it treats cancer?

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

That's what I thought too... and I think there is a lawsuit out there about the same thing but I couldn't find it on the first page of a google search soooo...

I tried running with my Shape-Ups and quickly hurt my hamstring... They change your gate too quickly to use for anything but walking. But if you're really trying to shape-up, why wouldn't you use your shoes for more than walking!?!?!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

I think they word things pretty carefully.

While I don't know the details of this particular ad campaign, I imagine it was kind of like the old Trident gum commercials: 9/10 dentists surveyed sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum."

Is that an endorsement of Trident? Nope. Of chewing gum? Nope. But if you're going to chew gum anyway, then chew sugarless. But it sold a heck of a lot of Trident gum because people didn't listen to the exact words.

Likewise, if the ad campaign had said that these sneakers, combined with a sensible fitness problem, were likely to help you tone, then they probably would have been fine. My guess is that they cut some corners and put too much emphasis on the sneaker and not enough on the fitness program.

It's probably a very delicate balance between repackaging something so people will buy it and knowing that the only way to get the results you want is to put in the work.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

There are MANY athletic shoes designed for one kind of exercise...try cross trainers for multi-use.

12. Luke8Ball

Luke8Ball Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

I just find it ridiculous that Reebok gets in trouble, and yet diet pills, political campaigns, etc. are able to get away with misleading or false advertising. I recognize that the two situations are different, but false marketing really bothers me sometimes!

13. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

oh I get that! I would never buy ballet shoes and expect to be able to go running in them... but if you buy "shape-ups" wouldn't you think you would be able to use them to do anything to "shape-up"?

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

15. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 14, 2012

This reminds me of another settlement a while back for the Baby Einstein DVDs. It turns out they don't actually make your baby any smarter. Who would have known? ;)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

Oh, but they DID provide beautiful music and a distracting video. My kids happily watched them every day, giving mommy time for a shower in the morning, and half an hour to cook dinner in the evening, to the sounds of Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven!!!

Who needed more than that for $20???

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

Caveat emptor.:)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 18, 2014

I was looking through my bank records for another purpose & ran across a deposit regarding this. I never same back with an update. I had gotten $43.72 back in Aug., 2012.

Anyone else get anything?