Anyone get distractions sometimes??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Olympics2008, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Olympics2008

Olympics2008 New Member

Aug 11, 2008

Hey everyone,

Around 2 years ago, I've been getting extremely stressed out from the reading I had to do for school. I just couldn't concentrate due to the lack of adequate rest, time outside, and exercise/diet. Furthermore, I was pushing myself to succeed at all costs.

It started with a simple picture in my history textbook. I just couldn't read the surrounding text. The picture was just "at my face" and I tried to cover it up. Then I thought, what if I get distracted by all of the pictures from here on out? Won't I not be able to concentrate on my readings? This made me break down and I went for a couple of months just slack off, sad that I had found this "evil thought."

One year later, I had procrastinated on my reading even more, and I had another break down. I just couldn't get my reading done in time. This time more thoughts swarmed my head as I began getting distracted by page numbers, birthmarks (dots) on my arm and hands, and even my own nose! Basically anything within my line of sight (while reading a book) distracted me.

My mind said: "I will never be able to concentrate on any task because something will always take up my concentration." There will always be page numbers, index numbers, pictures, and the birthmarks on my hand. I will be forever distracted by them and never be able to give 100% into my reading.

This usually gets worse during high times of stress, and has waxed and waned overtime. I've grown to accept that no one is perfect, without distractions, but I fear that I have gone too far. Everytime someone tells me I can make it to a better school, I think about this incident.

I have again procrastinated this year, and I'm scared to get reading. I've kind of tried to avoid reading sometimes. I'm an extremely slow reader but my math skills excel beyond everyone in my class. I can excel in math because you don't have to focus on words that much.

However, I must say that I usually can forget about these distractions while reading something I love, espeically science (biology, psychology, phsyiology). It is not "chronic" and I have been able to go for long periods of time focused. The thing is when I'm under pressure, or when there are deadlines, I get extremely stressed out. Therefore, when I take tests I usually begin to have those distractions. I try to eliminate everything off the floor so I don't see it when I read on the desk. I try to hide the marks on the table so I can't get distracted from them.

Please keep in mind I don't get 100% distracted from these things, unless I just get totally freaked out. I just fear that they will suck my attention and time, that is all I fear.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? Please share any tips or advice that you can give me to help me with this situation. I feel much better now because I have grown used to it and "adapted to it." I can be aware of the page numbers, etc. but still be able to read just fine. However, I'm not sure if they will suck more attention when the deadlines approach... :eek:

Thank you very much.

P.S. I'm a college student who thinks that teachers have better insight to these problems than students.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

This is how I made an appointment to get tested for ADHD. I couldn't finish a book, and I LOVE reading. Sure enough, once I was medicated, I was back to doing just fine. Sounds like that's what you might have.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I would suggest that you visit your Dr and explain this to him/her. It may be as Jem suggests or there could be something else going on. Better you get diagnosed and treated while still in school and before you begin your career so you can be at your very best when you begin your first job. Good luck to you!

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I agree it sounds like ADHD or possible a compulsive disorder. Get ye to the doctore, toot suite! (anyone know who said that first? I don't :()

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

Isn't toot suite from Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang? (Not trying to hijack)