anyone get depressed teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach42, Nov 26, 2012.

1. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Nov 26, 2012

I actually get depressed teaching and seeing the current state of education. This was not my experience in high school or maybe I was just not attuned to things at the time. I don't remember most of my classmates struggling with the basics. I don't remember students being so disrespectful to teachers and talking back to them. I talked with my colleagues from last year and none of us remember students complaining to their teachers let alone the principal when we were in school.

In every single one of my classes, my students come unprepared. I often feel like an elementary school teacher as opposed to a high school teacher because I'm having to teach elementary school material. Then add to that the fact that the majority of students have no critical thinking skills or common sense. It is no fun or intellectually challenging to teach anymore. They also can somehow remember lyrics to songs but can't remember basic facts.

The honors classes now are the equivalent of what used to be a regular class. Students get upset if they don't have a B even though twenty years ago, they would've gotten an F. Parents get upset and complain for the same reasons as their children. If you tell the parents they don't know the basic material that they should've learned in elementary school, they won't believe you.

The education system in this country has become an utter joke. I'm in awe of the teachers who somehow have managed to dealt with it all these years. I'm impressed with the teachers who are somehow happy with everything and their jobs. And if you're the lucky few who have found a great school with a wonderful admin and students who are actually at the level they should be, then my hats off to you. If my viewpoint is cynical, well, I don't intend on remaining in teaching for much longer.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 26, 2012

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I hope you find a good job in the future.

I don't get depressed teaching, but I am quite sad to see the Thanksgiving break end. D:

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 26, 2012

I sometimes get down looking at the state of educational affairs. This is alleviated when I work with individual students. Sometimes that is what it takes. Put your soul into the day. It usually comes back with mental hugs from your students.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 26, 2012

"teach42" - You've actually described many, many of the aspects of the field that I've had to deal with the majority of my own career. And you're right, it takes all of the energy and enthusiasm out of you. I wouldn't describe myself as "depressed," but it's not the way I envisioned it when I chose education for a profession.

I still remember one of my very first education professors posing the question to the class, "Do schools reflect the communities they serve?" Sadly, the answer is an emphatic, "Yes." For the most part, they mirror the apathy that is pervasive in contemporary society.

As for being one of the "teachers who somehow have managed to deal with it all these years," it's just that I've learned to treat it like any other 9-5 job; come in, teach your classes, and go home. People coming into the field expecting to find a "Mr. Holland's Opus" situation are in for a rude awakening.

:|

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 26, 2012

The sad thing is, I see stuff like this even in elementary school. Some children are very disrespectful, and some parents seem to defend everything their child does. I get so nervous whenever I have to make a phone call home, because I never know how parents are going to react.

Overall, though, I love what I do. At the 2nd grade level, the kids still love their teachers, love school, and get excited about learning. I was so pumped for today, because I was doing a fun math activity, and the kids loved it!

I have also made it my goal this year to ignore the things that usually make me stressed, and focus on the kids and what I'm here to do. Thankfully, I have a great group that makes it easy to do!

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 26, 2012

You might want to see if you can visit some of the award winning schools and some teachers who have won teachers of the year. I did and I can tell you there are some schools that are incredibly awesome both in public and private schools. It can happen.

Sure the challenge for us as teachers is large. I like a challenge. Yes, I get frustrated with the problems with education once in awhile. It still doesn't change that each day, I can choose to be the one to make a difference in these children's lives. I choose not to complain about the mess, but instead I dive in and start seeing what I can do to clean it up in my one classroom.

8. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Nov 26, 2012

I am new to teaching, and I agree with many of your sentiments. I've been out of school for less than 10 years and I do not remember seeing or hearing about any of the issues that I've experienced while teaching when I was in school.

I constantly have lots of students who never turn in a single assignment when they're due. It is literally like pulling teeth to get these assignments from them. They also never come to class prepared or can even seem to remember the most basic of procedures or routines.

Likewise, many of my students lack common sense. I teach middle school, and I have had students who do not know or remember their birth year! :dizzy: That's just one example. I truly believe it's because they've had their hands held and everything has been done for them. I often feel like I'm babysitting more than teaching.

Many of my students simply don't want to work or do anything. They expect to be entertained during class everyday and should never have to think or pick up a pencil. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for engaging lessons and doing fun activities when possible, but every lesson can't be an incredible, mind-blowing fun-filled festival. Certain lessons require you to do more traditional activities.

Despite not wanting to work and to be entertained instead of taught, many of my students and their parents demand As and will complain and pitch a fit about anything less than an A+. I've literally had students and parents complain about 97s or a 98.

I'm also starting to realize that the only people who have power in a school are students and their parents. I've seen Admins do ANYTHING to keep parents happy - even if it means going against precedent or throwing a teacher under the bus.

With that being said, I do enjoy teaching most days. I just have to figure out how to deal with the aforementioned challenges, and I think I'll be okay. I hope. :p

9. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Nov 26, 2012

All of these issues are precisely WHY I want to teach. My first year education teacher (aka my current teacher :p) didn't believe me when he went around the room and asked why we wanted to teach and I said, "I want to help prevent the overwhelming apathy and ignorance I see myself surrounded by." I may be aiming "too high" but with a goal like that, even the smallest dent will make a difference. Depending on which way I go with my master's and my career, I may find myself out of the classroom and into administration or going even further where I can make the same difference but on a larger scale.

You don't remember those things because they didn't happen (as much). Where I grew up there were a few students who acted that way but when push came to shove, they were held responsible by the school and their parents. The area I live in now has about 60% of the students who act that way. However, the elementary school where I'm observing is spectacular. It's also in a well-to-do area of the district.

Someone here said that schools reflect their communities and it couldn't be more true. Someone somewhere in the community needs to find out how to engage the entire community in the education of their youth. Not just parents, but everyone. If you don't have kids but you own a house, you're paying for that public education so why are you not more involved? (Just an example.)

It all comes down to money... The funds the schools have (or don't have) the incomes the parents have (or don't have) and all other aspects of the cost of education. The only way to change the state of our country is to education everyone. I realize that I'm getting philosophical and lofty up here on my soapbox, but the more I read about the education community, the more enraged I get and the more determined I am to do something.

If you love to teach, find what it is that you love about it and focus on that. You may have to deal with the ugly parts, too, but by doing your absolute best and pushing your own limits and remembering why you love to do this, you might be able to breathe a little easier at the end of the day.

10. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Nov 27, 2012

oh man I'm sorry to hear about some of you guys situation. If I was unable to get into an A or B school, I rather be doing something else. I know challenges are part of life but too much of it can stress me out. I like a balanced life.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 27, 2012

All of these issues are precisely WHY I want to teach. My first year education teacher (aka my current teacher ) didn't believe me when he went around the room and asked why we wanted to teach and I said, "I want to help prevent the overwhelming apathy and ignorance I see myself surrounded by."

I feel the same way! :)

12. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 28, 2012

Honestly, the only thing that really got me depressed about teaching was when one of my kids at the detention center was on suicide watch. Everything else seems like kind of small potatoes compared to twelve year old kids thinking that they have nothing left to live for. You can teach kids how to think critically and you can catch them up on skills, but it's hard to change a student's background and experiences.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 28, 2012

So sad. :( It is really tough to see young children who have been through so much already...Rape incest, depression, suicidal thoughts. I have seen it at the elementary level.

14. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Nov 29, 2012

All of the politics that goes on in the public school scene, really has me about to lose my mind!! I miss being able to actually TEACH!

15. markbutler

markbutler New Member

Nov 30, 2012

I also love teaching..In this fled we come across with number of different attitude. As some time we have rude, sometime calm, sometime happy, angry, loving, caring too. It really one of the most prestigious job in cooperate sector

16. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

with this job man......I try to always find the positive....the kid that understood the lesson...the kid that follow every direction for his project and then more....the kid that told the truth and apologized....the laughs we have in the classroom.....those are the things that keep me coming back but your right this job is no walk in the park

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 30, 2012

I don't get depressed about anything, but I AM extremely BITTER about the state of education. I am bitter against EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in education. I hate every teacher and administrator I work with, for subjegating me. I am SICK of the patronizing bull----: the condescending daily compliments, the recommendations, the requests to work, the offers to come to staff x-mas parties.

I wish to ---- they'd just be truthful and tell me to ____ off, so that I could finally respond in kind and quit this all. That's the way I feel.

18. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Nov 30, 2012

It's such a shame you feel that way. But if it's true, why not go to school yourself for a new career? Or look at your skills and see how they'd transfer to something else? You could always try to find a job with a company as a trainer. For instance, I worked at a company who was contracted by the federal government for customer service for Stafford Student Loans and the first 5 weeks were nothing but learning about how it all works- interest, forbearances, deferments, etc. There were three teachers whose only job was to teach new hires.

There are "teaching" jobs out there that don't require you to be a school teacher. If you hate it so much, you really shouldn't be there. That holds true for any job except that your anger and bitterness can affect your students. I'm really sorry if I sound like I know more than I should. :unsure: I don't mean to be offensive to you, but you've admitted you're not happy. Don't you want to be happy?

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 30, 2012

I don't hate the job. I thoroughly enjoy the profession. I just resent the forces that actively oppose my employment in said profession. Believe me, if I could "just leave", I would. But I feel compelled... I've put so much into becoming a teacher, I derive so much enjoyment in it (working with children), and TBH--I'm so good at what I do, that I would hate to quit without having had a go at it.

20. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Nov 30, 2012

At this point in my education, I can only imagine the frustration. I don't ever see any of that while observing and of course the one I'm observing doesn't bruit it about. I do try to keep myself informed through here and through certain newsletters in order to prevent a total system shock when I start teaching.

21. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 1, 2012

I was very depressed last year. I remember some days not wanting to get out of bed. This year is better, but is not without problems. I have been written up for a poor lesson, 1 poor lesson.