Anyone get a job without reference letters??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cjven, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cjven

cjven Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

Hello everyone! A few years ago I was on this board all the time, but once I landed a job I kind of fell away.

BG: I teach middle school and have been at my current position for 4 years (8 years of teaching experience). I love my job and the people I work with. The downside is the drive- it's a 45 minute commute (I know some of you have way longer drives). I was thinking I would apply for something closer next school and I was scouting my local district website when I saw they had a job opening. I decided to begin the application process and updated my resume and cover letter. The online app asked for references with the option to upload letters, but it was not required in order to submit the app. I already submitted it and I'm thinking I won't hear anything, but I thought I would ask.

I feel that it would be rude to ask for recommendation letters without some notice and also this late in the school year. Like I said before I applied on a whim, but I'm wondering if anyone received an interview without letters?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

Yes. Around here nobody has asked me for reference letters. They just ask for references.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 13, 2014

That's interesting! In my state recommendations letters are absolutely required at EVERY single school and district. So it seems this must be a regional thing. If I were you, I might look around at job postings in the region and see whether letters are usually required or not.

5. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 13, 2014

I suggest requesting your references to write you a letter, include your updated resume to your references, and update your application when you get them.

6. cjven

cjven Rookie

Mar 14, 2014

Every time I've applied for positions I've always included my reference letters. I know some districts require you to have three letters before even submitting the app. This particular district did not. I thought it was a little weird and I'm assuming no one will call, but I thought I would ask if anyone had received an interview without including them on the app.

Next year I plan on asking for reference letters early so I'll be ready for apps when positions become available.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 14, 2014

I'm sure I have in my lifetime, but not a teaching job. However, I got all my 4-5 substitute teaching jobs (at different school districts) & another good paying little job without having any kind of in-person or phone interview.

8. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Mar 14, 2014

do you think it is late in the school year to be asking for reference letters?? ack. I didn't realize it was late....

I actually had a friend get a job with only one reference on his app because HR made a mistake when they were looking at his file...then they were getting desperate I guess and he got the job. But I don't think that's a common scenario

9. cjven

cjven Rookie

Mar 14, 2014

Well the position closes this Sunday- not a lot of time to give them to write letters. By the time May rolls around jobs are pretty sparse here.

Like I said before, I like my school so I'm going to be pretty selective in the positions that I apply for. Therefore, I probably won't apply for anything else this year and just do it the right way next year.

Thanks for your input.

10. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Mar 14, 2014

Maybe you can write something in your app or cover letter like "recommendation letters will be available upon request under a separate cover." Then, if things proceed and get serious, you can approach those from whom you want letters.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 14, 2014

Yeah I been on countless interviews in my 7 year career, only once did someone actually read my reference letters this past summer (they are in my portfolio) mind you my letters are dated from 2006/2007.

Almost always when a school is really interested they ask for 2-3 references phone number and email, never been asked for a letter.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 14, 2014

In California (based on what I've seen) it's normal for the online application site to ask for 3 letter of recommendations, in fact you can't even finish you application without it.

If you're able to upload your application, say something that they are available upon request and then try to get 3 letters as soon as you can.