Anyone from Washington here?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sshintaku, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 17, 2011

I've always talked about moving up to the Seattle area (currently in Northern CA), but with the current state of affairs in Cali at the moment, a move is sounding better. I know the whole country is having a hard time with budget an education, but I'm wondering how bad it looks up in WA right now?

My district has cut 50 million in the past 2 years and sent out 405 pink slips. If it's even a little better than that, I'm interested. :lol:

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 17, 2011

I am from the west side of WA. I have not heard anything as bad as what AZ and CA are going through. There are jobs available but that is based on the west side.

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 18, 2011

I live in Washington as well... but it is not looking good. Districts are trimming back as much as they can get away with. My small district alone is looking at losing at least 10 positions. That is a significant amount for us. State has cut a lot of funding for education, and pay has been frozen -- no moving up on the pay scale. There may be some jobs available, but there is also an excess of teachers who have recently lost their jobs that are fighting for those positions.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 18, 2011

What part of Washington are you? That could make a difference. As far as pay freezes go, it's not necessarily bad for the rest of us, it just depends on how much we make and then compare it to you = ) Starting pay in Washington is like getting paid to have a Master's here. Pretty pitiful so to me having to deal with a pay freeze is really no big deal.

The other good thing about Washington is that there is a union.

I don't know, in my opinion, it's worth it to move up there and that is my personal plan.

6. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 18, 2011

I'm in the process of filing for a WA credential, so maybe as jobs come open in the spring I'll get a better idea.

I wouldn't move without a job lined up, but my concern is that I'll move up and get laid off. That would certainly be the case if someone were moving to CA. Is that likely to be the case for WA?

7. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 18, 2011

I am up in the northern part of Puget Sound, on Whidbey Island. I make about 34,000, 4 years into the pay scale. But cost of living is high compared to some places. And yes, for now, we have a state union in addition to local unions.

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 18, 2011

Right now, that is rather likely. Sorry. :( I wish I could present a better outlook on it right now, but what I see, which is by no means a comprehensive view, it is not looking good.

9. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

Thanks for the input. It kind of seems that way everywhere. I was really just *hoping* that it might be a bit better up there :)

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

Which part are you looking at? Eastern Washington it's cheaper cost of living, not as many people and if they acknowledge all 4 years of my experience, I would start at $35K a year.

Besides, to me, Washington looks MUCH better than AZ OR CA right now....

At least in a union state you also have mandated prep times. We don't here. I'm lucky to get 2 hours a week if that.

11. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

California has a union, we just don't have any money :)

I make $40K now, so $35K sounds super low, although I know cost of living is lower up there.

I don't think I would move to AZ for anything.

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

Unless you were a politician lol