Anyone from Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teaching4God, Jul 24, 2008.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

Is anyone from Tennessee? I would love to introduce myself to teachers from the state. I am entering my second year of teaching, but I am changing grade levels. I will be teaching 5th grade science and I need all the help I can get. Here it is a week before school starts and I don't really know how to start.

3. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I will be teaching 5th grade Social Studies in Tennessee!
    I student taught 5th Science last year, but towards the end of the year. So I do now know how she started them. I think she skipped around in the book because some chapters were harder. Seems like she started with the different kinds of cells.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

I am from Tennessee too :)

5. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I live in AZ now, but I did live in Murfreesboro for a couple of years. My youngest daughter was born there. I loved living in TN and would not mind moving back sometime! Good luck. You will love fifth grade!

6. basswife

basswife Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I'm in TN also! This is my 2nd year to teach 5th grade, but it will also be my 1st year to teach science. My county starts off with identifying plant and animal cells. I found a link to the Jefferson County Schools website that has A LOT of science stuff tailored to TN:
    http: //classroom.jc-schools.net /sci-units/

You'll have to take the spaces out because I have a new member account. :)

7. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

Thanks so much! Tennessee teachers are the best. :)

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

I'm in TN and love it! Jefferson County's website is awesome like basswife said!

9. 5thgradeTNteach

5thgradeTNteach Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Teaching4God- great name for sure!!

I am from Tennessee (Middle Tennessee) and teach 5th grade Social Studies- there is nothing better than the great state of Tennessee. Great to see all of you others!!

Ditto on the Jefferson County website!!

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

I teach 5th grade in TN! Nice to meet ya! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help! :)

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I live and teach in Alabama now, but I spent 4 years in Tennessee when I was a college student in Jackson, TN! I loved Tennessee; it's a beautiful, great state! Hope your school year is great!

12. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Yay!

This is my first year teaching 5th grade Social Studies in TN. May I ask you how you start and what some of the things you have done in class are? Do you teach TN in one unit, or do you tie it in throughout?

13. 5thgradeTNteach

5thgradeTNteach Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

crayoncaper:

I always start the first week with some basic geography skills- such as latitude/longitude, states, time zones, etc. Due to the upcoming election, I going to start with government-such as articles of confederation, declaration, constitution, and branches of government. Around mid-october I going to start my election unit with my big election project. They will basically make a scrapbook of the election process and the candidates.

I am polishing up this years pacing chart-I would be glad to send it to you when finished.

I have taught social studies only for 14 years and it really is my passion!!:)