Anyone for the Flat Stanley Project?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by c_muschany, Aug 13, 2008.

1. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I just heard about the Flat Stanley project about two weeks ago and I am really interested in doing this with my second graders. I think it would be a great way to work in several areas of curriculum at the same time. For those of you unfamiliar, you read "Flat Stanley", then take a "Naked" flat stanley that you have created out of paper, and mail him along with a letter to a relative or friend in another town, state, country, etc.

You want to send him to someone that would be good about corresponding. They will be asked to dress flat stanley in the clothing they would normally wear in their community and for the weather of their area. You could also ask them to take pictures of Flat Stanley doing different things and going different places in their community. Then, I believe they are supposed to send back the pics and letters. I am not sure if they send him back or mail him on to someone else to then do it all over again.

I am really looking forward to doing this. I have a boy in my class this year who's family is from Mexico. I also have a girl that I believe may have family in Russia. I think the farther away Flat Stanley goes, the more interesting the letters and pictures will be.

It is a great way to learn friendly letters, geography, how families and communities interact, etc.

Anyway.... If you have done this or are thinking of doing it, I would love to hear about your experience or your plans. Thanks!

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 2, 2008

I do this each year! I love it! We make a small journal to send along with a letter of introduction for our flat friend, and a brief tell-us-about-your-community paper. I think last year we had a total of over 41,000 miles that our flat friends traveled...thanks to a cousin of mine in Afghanistan who took one ff to Indonesia and back! Last year I did it at the beginning of October, but will probably wait until late winter this year. Good luck!! :2up:

4. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

I would love to know what your letter says, I plan on beginning this in November because we study geography in Dec.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 8, 2008

Pm me with your email address and I will see that you get it.

6. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Sep 10, 2008

I would be interested in this. My son did this when he was in 2nd grade and I have always wanted to do it with my class.

Tina