Anyone find themself laughing at comments they shouldnt?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ACardAttack, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I seem to have this issue with a couple students who just crack me up and I say "if you werent so funny id yell at you"...they dont interrupt me, its more when they are in group work, or there is a transition and Im getting stuff together and they are talking to someone by them and they'll say something that just has me in stitches...I dont find it a big issue, i just wish I could hold back my laughter more

Anyone else have a similar situation?

And the comments arent anything awful, or degrading, just probably shouldnt be laughing at them as I am suppose to be the adult in the room

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

My 12 year old son has perfected the knack of saying something so outrageous that all I can do is laugh!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

Yes! It's horrible. :)

5. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I teach 9th graders. It's a daily thing for me! They keep things interesting, that's for sure. :)

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

I had one of my students draw a picture of what the problem he had in the gym. He drew himself plus added something extra...him giving the "finger" to one of my assistants' (something he didn't do) :D. I drawing of the hand giving the middle finger was excellent. He did panic when I told him he had to redo his picture because I wanted to save that one to show the principal.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 24, 2010

The year I had my all boy groups, the kids were really funny. They would say some of the funniest things . . . and they weren't always appropriate. Sometimes I couldn't help myself. When they noticed that I'd be trying not to laugh, a few were really good at reminding me to "be the adult".

I'm still trying ti decide if teaching middle school for so long has warped my sense of humor, or if I always had it and that's how I landed in middle school.

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

I have one of these students in my classroom this year. It is all I can do not to giggle at things that he says.

9. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

Every once in a while a "That's what she said" takes me by complete surprise.
    My favorite moments are when students start singing to the background music I may have playing during a class activity. The boys absent-mindedly singing falsetto to Taylor Swift get the whole class giggling.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2010

All the time! It's usually worse when there is another adult in the room, though. When it's just me and the kids, I don't notice it as much. But when there is another adult around it occurs to me that what I'm hearing isn't "normal".

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

Eh, have fun with. If I haven't burst out laughing at least once per class period, it hasn't been a good day. Kids are funny... period. As long as the stuff they say isn't wildly inappropriate, I don't see the harm. I laugh with them all the time.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2010

A few years ago, I bought a used cargo trailer for my bike. I decided to test it out, so I found a few basketballs in my garage which I had collected from my yard and went unclaimed. So one morning, I secured the basketballs to the trailer and rode to work. When I got there, I gave them to my students who were very thrilled to have them. I also showed them the trailer which I had carried them on.

Later that day, in line, my students got into an argument with the students from the class next door over who had the better teacher. Aside from reminding me why I love first grade, the dialogue went like this:

"Well, our teacher got us popsicles yesterday!"
    "Our teacher has a cool bike!"
    "Our teacher sings us songs!"
    "Our teacher has two cats!"

And finally....

"OUR TEACHER CARRIES HIS BALLS ON A TRAILER!!!"

I could not restrain myself nor could one other boy who "got it."

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 25, 2010

My students crack me up all the time. Laughing with them is part of my classroom atmosphere. I think they are hilarious, they think I'm funny.

We still get a lot of work done, but no harm in having a laugh while we do it.

14. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 25, 2010

I totally agree with you ku_alum.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2010

I remember having a complete giggle fit when a kid fell out of his chair one time. The look on his face and how dramatic the fall was just made me lose it. I kept trying to teach and I just started giggling again. I finally had to go out in the hall and pull myself together.

I also remember this kid being totally disruptive my first year teaching. I went to yell at him and realized he was taking a drink of iced tea, and then blowing a bubble with his gum that was full of tea and it looked like this bulging gross thing growing out of his mouth. It was really funny. I made him get rid of the tea, but I couldn't help but laugh.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2010

Same here. I had a student a couple of years ago who was a pro at making me laugh when I was angry.
    Ted: "You can't be mad at us, you're laughing."
    Me: "I'm furious, first at ..... and second at the fact you are making me laugh."

17. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 26, 2010

The way I see it, as long as you're laughing WITH them, and not AT them, you're okay! I think (appropriate) humor is just fine; but I have to admit, with classes of all boys, I have to get better at anticipating the "That's what she said" line. They catch me with that one all the time!

18. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Aug 26, 2010

Pretty much how I live by and why I teach...rarely do I have a period where I dont smile a few times

19. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Sep 6, 2010

I usually didn't even try to not laugh when I was in the classroom. Unless it was wildly inappropriate, I would just laugh with them, then tell them to get back to work. I always explained to them that there was a time to work, and a time to play, and right now it was time to work.

One time, a kid I knew well consistently got the best of me. He was about 17 at the time, and would sit in the back of the classroom and make comments to the teacher from the back of the room. I was usually sitting in the back of the room doing prep work, and would intervene to help out the teacher with classroom management. With this kid, I wasn't particularly much help. He would say something, and I would talk to him, to tell him to stop, and he would point at me and say "no, you're laughing, I can see you." When I would tell him that it was definitely funny, but not the time to be telling funnies, he would point at me and say, "then stop laughing." I would compose myself and say I was done laughing, to get back to work. Of course, he just pointed at me and said "you're laughing again.." and I would bust out laughing. It was like being in church and trying not to laugh at something funny. I finally started yelling (while laughing), "Okay, I'm laughing, but you still need to stop. Get back to work." Silence for a few seconds, then he would point to me, "I can see you're gonna laugh again..." I eventually resorted to leaving the classroom when he would start doing this, cause i ended up being more of a distraction than he was being. It was totally frustrating, but was also completely funny, and we often reminisced about those days for the next couple of years when he was still at our school.