Anyone find a teaching job in CA?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CaliforniaGold, Jul 13, 2010.

1. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

Anyone from CA find a teaching job? I'm just trying to get on the sub list for this year. I am also taking the CSET in Spanish to get the BCLAD and am sending out my transcripts to the state to get a credential in Foundational Level Science (right now I can only teach HS Biology). That's a lot of credentials, but it is one of the only things I can do right now. I am sort of guessing that school districts would find me more attractive. Either way right now I don't even have a sub job...

3. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jul 14, 2010

CA is horrible right now. You are familiar with edjoin for CA jobs? Job postings are slim right now. You should look more attractive to employers with a BCLAD but I keep hearing in local news most districts are struggling with funding and I've lived in both northern and southern cal.

As far as not having a sub job, you aren't missing much. I'm sick of subbing.

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

Have you tried charter and/or private schools? What part of California are you in? So Cal is terrible right now :( I also have multiple credentials and thought it would help me but I still had trouble...

5. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

I have seen job postings in my region of CA, but I'm sure the applicant pool is extremely competitive. I took the CSET this past weekend, and while waiting outside for the doors to open, I overheard quite a few fellow testers saying they were there to add additional subjects to their credential after being layed off. That was pretty depressing.

6. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

Thanks for replying. I just look on edjoin and craigslist for jobs. I have tried a few private schools and charter schools...it is really hard.

I really don't like when people talk between breaks during big tests, I start to think to much about what I overhear and it distracts me lol.

7. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Laid off over a year ago now in SoCal. In that time I've had one phone pre-interview and two in-person interviews. I've been looking on and off for teaching jobs since 2002 and the market is worse than ever. For the record I have a CA Multiple Subject with English endorsement, an MA, 5 yrs experience, good references.

Instead of merely 'thinking good thoughts' and praying things will turn around, I decided to be realistic about the situation. I earned a Math credential through CSET tests which if I'm lucky might move my odds of landing a job up from 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 1000. Sacramento is still taking their sweet time on the paperwork, which these days you better have in hand in order to have a chance.

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 16, 2010

CaliforniaGold Do you have a single subject in biology? If so, you should be able teach middle school science. Seventh grade science is "life science", which equals biology. Foundational Level General Science lets someone without a science credential teach middle school science.

I was trying to get the FLGS credential to teach middle school, but CSET GS II kicked my butt over and over and over again. Now I'm trying for English.

9. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Yes I do have a single subject credential. I can teach middle school, but have no experience that is why I am trying to get the sub job. With the Foundational Level Science, you can teach K-12 science so that is why I am doing it.

For the PP who was English and switched to Math, I hope things do open up and you find something someday. I know how you feel, that is why I am trying to get the BCLAD.

10. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

From what I hear (and have had experience with) private schools are the best place to land a job in CA right now. I am currently earning my credential and landed a job (as a teaching assistant) at a private religious school in the Bay Area. It is full-time, salaried plus benefits. And I currently am working a summer school program at another private school-- just hired on this summer. I've only had luck in private schools (but a lot of it!) so keep your eyes peeled!!

Good luck in your search!

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

bizzbeth Private schools tend to pay half as much as public schools. I can't pay my mortgage on that. I have to teach in public schools.

CaliforniaGold Will you be able to teach single subject sciences like physics or chemistry with the FLGS credential? Or will you be able to teach General Science k-12? I've only ever heard of the Foundational Level credentials used for teaching in middle schools.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2010

Foundational-level General Science allows the holder to teach general science classes in grades K-12 - that is, the likes of life science and physical science classes, but not full-on biology, chemistry, earth science, or physics classes of the sort that are prescribed for the college-bound starting in tenth grade.